Imanistj

I Actually Found A Cake I Like.

Rate this topic

I have been honest and maybe somewhat negative, but I believe in being honest. Until tonight every scratch recipe, mix, or bought ready to eat baked good I have tried has fallen way short of my expectations of gluten-free substitutes. I have cooked or bought a lot of stuff that is so grainy and off tasting that I have thrown it out. Until tonight I had to say nothing I had tried was acceptable because I could taste and feel the difference. Well, drum roll please----I baked Bob's Red Mill chocolate cake mix this afternoon. I don't have two round cake pans so I opted for cupcakes. I just ate one, slightly warm and unfrosted, AND I REALLY LIKED IT!!!!! I have a friend who just asked me why I report to the forum that I have tried something and didn't like it, even if someone recommended it and said it was as good as real food. My reason was because I want to keep trying whatever is recommended. I kept hoping I would eventually find I liked something. This is was better than Betty Crocker--I made her yellow cake and threw it out. That was really too bad because I had made a killer frosting. I am going to make the frosting again: confectioner's sugar, cocoa, vanilla and butter and cream cheese. I just lost a pound (a very good thing for me) and I am certain to gain it back with really great cupcakes available. I'll share one with a friend. She is always on a diet but always wants to taste anything gluten-free that I bake. She is maddening because she almost always says, "I could eat this." Well, I am picky and tonight I am happy.

That's what i call keeping it real, even though i have been gluten-free nine years I still compare the taste of what I remember food tasted like to what gluten-free food tastes like I don't even bother to bake gluten-free anything as I'm so disappointed I just eat fresh prepared myself unprocessed foods... Thats not to say i haven't tried gluten-free, I have, and when I say to my DH I don't like the taste of this he says "tastes good to me" so then i have to say well you eat it every day for the rest of your life (as I do get a tiny bit annoyed with him when he says that even when I know it's truly inedible and not a matter of like or dislike)... But on very rare ocassions I have eaten a processed gluten-free food and it has tasted soooo good it's made me cry tears of pleasure, now that's what I expect gluten-free foods to taste like a taste of heaven on my tongue.....

Nancy,

I am sooo glad you found something you like! YAY! Have you tried Udi's breads yet? I think you might like them...... :D

I am negotiating with a local health food store, Nature Tyme, to see if they will carry it. I got a call today from the lady who makes such decisions (maybe the owner?) and we talked a little. I had left my original request with the man who checked me out on Monday. I told the lady the praise for Udi's is incredible and I really want to try the bread. She will call me tomorrow with her decision. I can't wait!

Wow, is this a turning point for you! Congrats, congrats.... now your thinking on the positive side of being gluten-free! CONGRATS.... I agree that Pamela's is the best mix.

If you like to bake Annalise Roberts has a wonderful cookbook called Baking CLassics. She even has a wedding cake, ice cream sandwiches & more.

Enjoy your cupcakes!!!!! I'm so proud of you today!

blessings

mamaw

We love Bob's chocolate cake - we make it quite often for birthdays or just when we are feeling deprived.

We add 1 cup of choc chips to the cake mix and frost with:

1 can condensed milk

2 cups choc chips

2 tsp vanilla

Melt together and frost immediately -- sinful!!!

That is really good to know about bob's mix. I was actually just eyeing it in the store last week. Pamela's mixes are also great. http://www.pamelasproducts.com/Products_frames.html I've tried the brownie and cake mixes to great success.

I like Namaste's spice cake mix (add carrot raisins and nuts) and brownies...undeniably delicious!

I have a bag of bobs red mill in my cupboard waiting until the end of my elimination diet. I can't wait.

I just had a similar eating experience. I have been gluten free 8 months. In September we had a vendor fair. A bakery called Celiacs Specialties had a sample of their Onion Poppy Roll. They tasted good so I bought 4. When I sliced and toasted it and put cream cheese on it I thought I was eating a real bagel. It was the best tasting food I have had in 8 months! Only problem for me is they are a hour away and I don't do freeways. You can have them shipped and I am sure I will, but that is extra costly. I can't wait to try the chocolate cake :D

I hope they decide to order it for you!

My favorite gluten-free cake mix is "Cause You're Special". It's harder to find, but the Lemon is to die for and I add spices to the white and it makes the best spice cake I've ever had--gluten-free or not. Thought I'd mention is case you ever see it :)