Diva1

Barium For Gi Testing Gluten Free?

Rate this topic

Today i had a GI small bowell study...lots of abdominal pain tonight..Could it be the barium meal....anyone know anythong about this......

just wondering.................DIva

The barium I use at work is gluten free. Not to say every brand is gluten free. I hope you are feeling better soon. I have a few patients who complain the barium gives them gi issues, but I only use a little barium for my tests. I think most tolerate it pretty well.

If it was a thick liquid that you cannot see through it was likely not gluten free. Your doctor needs to ask for a gluten free preperation. I was made very ill by nongluten free solution, I barely made it out of the xray dept before I had to run to the rest room when I was given it during my early gluten free days. When they made me get another one later on I made sure my doctor noted it needed to be gluten-free. The clear liquid they gave me that time had no ill effects. Also if you have DH and you have to have a CT or any other procedure where they inject you make sure they know you cannot have iodine. I have, or had on gluten anyway, severe DH and they had to cancel one part of a CT exam because they had nothing that was safe for them to inject.

If it was a thick liquid that you cannot see through it was likely not gluten free. Your doctor needs to ask for a gluten free preperation. I was made very ill by nongluten free solution, I barely made it out of the xray dept before I had to run to the rest room when I was given it during my early gluten free days. When they made me get another one later on I made sure my doctor noted it needed to be gluten-free. The clear liquid they gave me that time had no ill effects. Also if you have DH and you have to have a CT or any other procedure where they inject you make sure they know you cannot have iodine. I have, or had on gluten anyway, severe DH and they had to cancel one part of a CT exam because they had nothing that was safe for them to inject.

I've wondered this same thing too, as I need to have a colonoscopy done sometime. You mention iodine in your reply here....why? I have many food "intolerances" and most are things that I was truly allergic to as a little child but grew out of. Iodine was one of those things. But it's never bothered me topically and the only times I've had any reactions is when I eat a boatload of lobster for my birthday---and not many of those either. Does iodine have gluten in it?? Now that I am revisiting all my allergies, I am still learning.

I've wondered this same thing too, as I need to have a colonoscopy done sometime. You mention iodine in your reply here....why? I have many food "intolerances" and most are things that I was truly allergic to as a little child but grew out of. Iodine was one of those things. But it's never bothered me topically and the only times I've had any reactions is when I eat a boatload of lobster for my birthday---and not many of those either. Does iodine have gluten in it?? Now that I am revisiting all my allergies, I am still learning.

The iodine is,as far as I know, only for those of us with DH, dermatitis herpeformis. Iodine does not have gluten but there is something about it that can keep the antibodies active in the skin. It isn't an allergy it is just part of the DH reaction. An old test for DH was to apply iodine to the skin, cover it and then look at it in three days. A person with DH would usually have the itchy blisters. Now they test for the antibodies by biopsying the skin next to a lesion.

After a person is totally healed and the antibodies are no longer in the skin then some can go back to iodized salt. I never did but I do use Sea salt that has iodine naturally and get it from other foods.

When you have your colonoscopy just make sure your doctor notes that the prep he gives you should be gluten-free. Most are but it is best to have the pharmacist check.

The iodine is,as far as I know, only for those of us with DH, dermatitis herpeformis. Iodine does not have gluten but there is something about it that can keep the antibodies active in the skin. It isn't an allergy it is just part of the DH reaction. An old test for DH was to apply iodine to the skin, cover it and then look at it in three days. A person with DH would usually have the itchy blisters. Now they test for the antibodies by biopsying the skin next to a lesion.

After a person is totally healed and the antibodies are no longer in the skin then some can go back to iodized salt. I never did but I do use Sea salt that has iodine naturally and get it from other foods.

When you have your colonoscopy just make sure your doctor notes that the prep he gives you should be gluten-free. Most are but it is best to have the pharmacist check.

thank you so much. The only time I've had blisters/lesions is when all my problems started and I was glutened and suffering with the other foods too. I never would have thought about iodized salt. That's all I ever buy. And that's only because that's what my mom always bought, lol. I guess iodine doesn't bother me too much, if that's the case. Thanks again.

The barium I use at work is gluten free. Not to say every brand is gluten free. I hope you are feeling better soon. I have a few patients who complain the barium gives them gi issues, but I only use a little barium for my tests. I think most tolerate it pretty well.

Thanks for the reply, but I'm going to check the barium at work I ( work in imaging myself) and will make sure its gluten free...or not.....Feeling better today..