This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Jury Duty Summons

Roda

Roda Rising Star

I recieved a summons for Jury duty yesterday. I have never recieved one ever and am actually curious on how the whole process works. I have no problem serving if chosen, so I'm not here to debate if celiac sufferers shoud be exempt. I am curious to know how this works. I work night shift and am having trouble seeing how this would play out. I have to report on Jan. 4, 2010 at 8:00 am. I am scheduled to work that night, but can take a nap when I get home and will work my shift. They said in the letter there will be a number to call to state when you need to appear. Do you have any notice like the day before? I don't want to work all night and then call the number in the morning and find out I have to be there. If I was to know the day before I would just have the night off preceding the day I need to be there. My employer, according to HR has provisions for shift workers, so I would not think working third shift is any reason to be exempt. Like I said before, I actually want to do this. My dept. director did not seem to thrilled at the prospect of having to find someone to cover for me on short notice, but I don't think in this instance he has much choice. I think it came at a really bad time for him since the other girl that works opposite me on nights is pregnant and has been out sick alot. Any experiences or info on how all this works would be greatly appreciated.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Wolicki Enthusiast

In California, you are "on call." You call in the day the notice says, and they tell you if you have to come or not. Usually if you don't have to go in that day, you have to call in the next day to check. Makes planning very touchy for that week.

Take lots of snacks wtih uou and a good book! Every time I have gone, there was a LOT of sitting and waiting.

Jestgar Rising Star

Every area has different rules. Where I am, you call every night after 6 or something to find out if you need to be at the court at 8am the next day.

luvs2eat Collaborator

I've been called 3 times. The first two, I had pretty new infants at home and nursing them got me exempted. When I got called the 3rd time, my employer said he'd write me a note to get out of it! I was shocked and told him I wanted to go... it was my civic duty. He laughed at me... he was a real jerk. I told him that if I ever found myself in front of a jury, I'd sure hope there were people like ME and not like HIM on the jury!!

It was a one-day call. About 100 of us sat in a big room... and when a jury was called... they took about 20 of us. I got called ... and so did the woman who checked in and then left, thinking there was no way she'd be called... not a good idea!! Anyhow... it was a case involving an accident... pain and suffering kind of stuff... and when they found out I was a nurse, I was dismissed.

We all hung around, playing cards (my mom had served before and told me to throw a deck of cards in my bag) till they excused us all at about 2 pm.

Roda Rising Star
Every area has different rules. Where I am, you call every night after 6 or something to find out if you need to be at the court at 8am the next day.

I hope this is the case. That would work out since on week days I don't go in until 8:30 pm. It would suck for the call person, but hey, that's the way things go sometimes.

tarnalberry Community Regular

Talk to folks in your area - including HR - and find out how it works. The summons should tell you how it works too.

I've had two kinds when I was living in Orange County (depends on the court system that is calling you up) - one was calling in every day for two weeks to see if they needed you the next day, the other was going down to the courthouse in person, waiting there just one full day, and seeing if they needed you. In King County (WA), it was a go in and wait sort of thing as well, but partly it was because of the particular court system that was calling me.

summerteeth Enthusiast

That is how IL is, too... they pick double the number of jury people and put you into two groups (a and b, for example) then you call in and there is an automated message saying which group, a or b, has to report.

I have never been called, but my dad gets called, like clockwork, every two years.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

New Jersey has an automated system too. You call in after a certain hour the night before, and a recorded message tells you by juror number if you have to report the next day.

I was called 3 times there--once I did not have to report at all. The other two times I went and found it interesting. I worked at a high school, and just told the administrator what the dates were that I could be called in and reminded them the night before. They knew I would either show up for work as usual, or if I didn't, I was called to jury duty.

The court gave us a paper stating that we had served on jury duty at the end of the final day to take back to our jobs.

mommida Enthusiast

I had a number to call Friday afternoon to see if I was needed on Monday.

The first group that was called sat on a jury, and was done by lunchtime.

I was called with about 60 people. The picking process and questioning lasted over an hour and half. (Voir Dere? I don't recall how to spell that right now) As soon as the jury was picked the case started. It lasted four days and we were told what time to report each day.

Bring something to pass the time. Something that relaxes you ~ you are locked in a room with the rest of the jurors. It is a freaky feeling! You are not allowed to discuss the case until given permision. So bring something to keep you busy!

Bring your best people skills. It can be very frustrating. Every one needs time to come to terms with the verdict. BRING LOTS OF SNACKS!

mbrookes Community Regular

I have been called three times and wound up on the jury all three times (a civil suit (innocent), a medical malpractice (innocent) and a home burglary (guity) Each time was differrent and all were very interesting.

I agree with the others who said bring something to read. Also bring snacks, as they brought us donuts and sandwhiches.

I always think that if I am ever on trial I want a jury that is well educated and attentive. During one trial the judge dismissed a jurier for sleeping during testimony!!

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

My state has us on jury duty for three weeks. We don't know if we come in the next day until we could call after 6 p.m. the night before. Makes it hard for bosses. So my supervisor scheduled a float person to work those three weeks. If I came in, they went somewhere else.

I didn't like sitting around waiting. I liked being on jury duty. I'd do it again. Call the court house to ask if you can bring in food if you are on a jury.

• 3 weeks later...
Roda Rising Star

Well, I went Monday and found out that we are on jury summons for the whole month of Jan. and there is a special case in March that all jurors have to show up for. My pannel got called in this morning and I was one that got picked for the jury of the particular case. It was very interesting to be a part of that process. I was able to take my own lunch. I informed the sherrif who was "protecting the jury" that I would not be ordering lunch (lunch was provided)due to food restrictions. The only thing I had to do was run my lunch bag through the x-ray machine when entering the courthouse. All in all it was a very good educational experience for me. I will be going back sometime at the end of next week. I hope I get picked again.

Archived