This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Feel Myself Slipping Into "That Place" Again

jasonD2

jasonD2 Experienced

Hello All-

As some of you know I made some progress and have been feeling much better mentally & physically. However, these past few weeks have been a little stressful for me...I didn't get a job that I wanted and also went for an endoscopy, which in of itself was a bit intimidating. My results showed no evidence of celiac, but again i have been gluten free for a while. I guess its good that the bowel at least looks normal...means i healed or am healing.

All my other labs were ok, but unfortunately my liver ALT enzyme is still a bit elevated (has been for 6 months)...it actually dropped 10 points since the last test (went from 70 to 60) but im still concerned. I am negative for Hep A & B and am afraid to get the Hep C test...dont consider myself to be at risk but who the hell knows. I havent been taking any meds and am not a heavy drinker so I dont know what the problem is. My doc wants to run some more tests to see if there are any nutrient deficiencies so maybe that will shed some light.

On top of that I had a false positive HIV test which initially scared the crap out of me and was also diagnosed with Oral Lichen planus. So as you can see I havent been in a very peaceful state of mind lately.

I was really on the right track for a while and hit another snag on the road to happiness. Anyway, just venting on a freezing cold Saturday morning. Thanks for listening :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mskedi Newbie

Sounds like you've had good reason to be stressed. The good news is that, in my experience, once you've experienced being happier and healthier it's easier to return to that state. Congratulations on not having any evidence of Celiac anymore -- that means you've been doing quite well. :)

I hope you get all the answers you need about any deficiencies you have.

Could the Oral Lichen Planus be related to Celiac in any way since it's also an autoimmune reaction? What I read on it (I'll admit this is the first I've ever heard of it, so I googled) implied that they don't know the exact cause of it. It (the Mayo Clinic site) did say it often occurs with other autoimmune diseases and allergies, so that would make sense. In any case, I hope you are able to learn to manage it in some way. I wish you luck.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Im sorry you didn't get that job. These times are hard for anyone looking for work right now.

I am glad to hear the liver enzymes are going down. I wouldn't stress out about it too much if your doctor isn't overly concerned. Many of us do have elevated enzymes when diagnosed and they can take some time to get down to normal levels. Your doing the right thing by avoiding alcohol for now and taking care of yourself diet wise.

It is good that your doctor is checking you for nutrient issues, do make sure to let him know if you take any supplements as they can skew the results.

I think you have come a long way from the posts when you first joined us. This bump in the road will pass.

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

Jason,

So sorry you did not get the job you desired. Hopefully this will leave a opening for something better for you.

About your tests. Go for all you can. The more you know the better you will be able to deal with it. It's the thinking and worrying about it that gets all of us down. Attack it head on and wrestle it. No reason for it to stalk you.

Oral Lichen Planus, could be related to celiac, track any new spots in a food/symptom journal to see, otherwise consider them tattoos

Hep C, take the test, better to know than to keep worrying

Diseases are not something we have much control over, none of them are shameful, diseases happen, we just have to deal with them the best we can. Look how far you have come. I know you can do this.

Wolicki Enthusiast

Jason

Elevated liver enzymes are common with Celiac. I wouldn't worry too much about it. As far as the tests go, have them all. It's better to know than to worry. Sorry about the job, but this just means that something better is waiting for you in the future :rolleyes:

Keep a positive attitude, walk on the sunny side of the street. When you get bummed, just be thankful for the things you have, and try not to worry about things outside of your control.

Be well

Janie

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

Jason,

About "that place", I just called there and they said they are full so you can't come in!!!

jerseyangel Proficient

Jason,

About "that place", I just called there and they said they are full so you can't come in!!!

:D :D

Sorry about the job, Jason. I like to think that these things happen for a reason and that an even better one will come along ;)

I wouldn't be too concerned about the enzymes--they're headed in the right direction and Celiac can really affect them in some of us--I included. Also, be careful of NSAD's and or Tylenol (if you take them) they can have an effect on liver enzymes too.

There will always be challenges along the line--just when you think you're on top of it all something else can crop up. Take it from someone much older--such is life. Keep your wonderful new upbeat attitude, focus on the positive, and keep the faith! You've come a long way and I'm proud of you :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient

Ditto, to all previous posters. Once you've found the bright side, the gloomy side is not the place to be. Be a take charge kind of guy, and "don't let the bastards get you down." Stay warm and sunny. ^_^

jasonD2 Experienced

You guys are the most supportive people in my life - thank you! :)

Archived