brookeb4

What Am I Missing?!?

Rate this topic

Hi everyone!

This is my first post on this forum, though I have found some great information here since I have been gluten free. A brief history:

After 6 weeks of feeling awful (headaches, stomache cramps, complete exhaustion), I had an AH-HA moment after eating an Italian dinner filled with bread and pasta, and then becoming completely disoriented and dizzy. My boyfriend suggested maybe it was a gluten intolerance. (I had been to the doctor that very morning to discuss my symptoms, and this was never brought up. No shock now, knowing what I know.) The next day I went gluten-free, and then splurged that night at a holiday party. I had felt amazing all day, but within minutes of eating gluten containing food at the party I was sick. I then knew I had it figured out. I have been gluten-free ever since, that was December 19th of 2009.

My doctor suggested I just stay on the gluten free diet, and said there was no need for testing when I told her of my discovery. That was all fine and dandy until last Wednesday when I got a headache, and it has been reoccuring every day. I feel fine in the mornings, and then by 10 or 11 am it is back. I have been taking extra strength Tylenol and am getting a little worried about taking so much (not a big fan of medicating the problem.)

I am so frustrated. I have a queary into my doctor, but so far she hasn't seemed to be the biggest supporter of this. I am not eating gluten in anything. I have changed my soap, my conditioner, my lotion. Is there something I am missing? Do I have to go through every item I touch daily and make sure that I am not contaminating myself? I feel like I need to live in a bubble.

Sorry for the venting. I am so frustrated. I am sure you all understand.

Thanks!

Brooke

It is also possible that your headaches may not be gluten-related. I hope your doctor gives you the attention you deserve!

However, if it is a reaction to gluten: Think carefully about what you do in the morning before the headache begins.

Have you checked your toothpaste?

I'm glad to see you changed lotion. For me, I was using hand lotion that contained gluten, then doing things like putting something in my mouth with my fingers.

Oh yes, I totally understand how you feel. It can be very frustrating trying to figure it all out.

Just throwing this out there--do you use artificial sweeteners in the morning? I ask because I developed headaches (not typical for me) and through process of elimination I discovered it was Splenda that was causing them.

It could be another sensitivity showing up, sometimes that can happen when you get the gluten out of the picture. The timing of your headaches suggest something you are eating for breakfast?

Splenda is gluten-free, by the way....I'm simply intolerant to it. ;)

I do use Splenda, but only while at the office. At home I take regular sugar and non-fat milk in my coffee.

I haven't checked my toothpaste yet. That never even crossed my mind. But it gets worse as the day goes on, so I toothpaste doesn't make the most sense.

Thanks for your suggestions, guys!

Brooke

Just throwing this out there--do you use artificial sweeteners in the morning? I ask because I developed headaches (not typical for me) and through process of elimination I discovered it was Splenda that was causing them.

It could be another sensitivity showing up, sometimes that can happen when you get the gluten out of the picture. The timing of your headaches suggest something you are eating for breakfast?

Splenda is gluten-free, by the way....I'm simply intolerant to it. ;)

Patti: Is headache your only symptom from Splenda, or do you have lower GI symptoms as well? Thanks for any info!

Hi everyone!

This is my first post on this forum, though I have found some great information here since I have been gluten free. A brief history:

After 6 weeks of feeling awful (headaches, stomache cramps, complete exhaustion), I had an AH-HA moment after eating an Italian dinner filled with bread and pasta, and then becoming completely disoriented and dizzy. My boyfriend suggested maybe it was a gluten intolerance. (I had been to the doctor that very morning to discuss my symptoms, and this was never brought up. No shock now, knowing what I know.) The next day I went gluten-free, and then splurged that night at a holiday party. I had felt amazing all day, but within minutes of eating gluten containing food at the party I was sick. I then knew I had it figured out. I have been gluten-free ever since, that was December 19th of 2009.

My doctor suggested I just stay on the gluten free diet, and said there was no need for testing when I told her of my discovery. That was all fine and dandy until last Wednesday when I got a headache, and it has been reoccuring every day. I feel fine in the mornings, and then by 10 or 11 am it is back. I have been taking extra strength Tylenol and am getting a little worried about taking so much (not a big fan of medicating the problem.)

I am so frustrated. I have a queary into my doctor, but so far she hasn't seemed to be the biggest supporter of this. I am not eating gluten in anything. I have changed my soap, my conditioner, my lotion. Is there something I am missing? Do I have to go through every item I touch daily and make sure that I am not contaminating myself? I feel like I need to live in a bubble.

Sorry for the venting. I am so frustrated. I am sure you all understand.

Thanks!

Brooke

Brooke...one of the biggest causes for headaches, and one that is never addressed by any doctor, is dehydration. If you don't drink enough water and load up on coffee or tea in the morning, then a headache will set in by the time you mentioned in your post. I had the same problem a few weeks back and by coincidence, it was during a very cold and dry snap we had, weather-wise. I had a pounder by noon, everyday. Turns out, I wasn't drinking enough water in the morning. Once I water loaded, the headaches went away.

Don't assume that any problems you may be having are gluten related. Many times they are not and unless you are eating your shampoo and lotions, they won't make you sick. You can touch gluten all you want....just don't put any in your mouth and wash your hands often....good advice for everyone, not just Celiacs. You will get the hang of this soon enough so relax and congratulations on figuring out your problem!

Patti: Is headache your only symptom from Splenda, or do you have lower GI symptoms as well? Thanks for any info!

Lynayah,

I also had lower Gi symptoms: diarrhea, some cramping....strange dreams and night sweats.....but I didn't attribute it to the Splenda for the longest time. After I stopped using it, both those and the headaches went away fairly quickly.