flowerpower12

Does Vomiting Have To Be A Symptom?

Rate this topic

My mom continues to tell me it cannot be celiac/gluten intolerance because i am not vomiting.

is this true?

You absolutely do not have to be vomitting to be celiac/gluten intolerant.

Just take a look around this board . . . such a wide variety of symptoms here!!! . . . and vomitting isn't even mentioned all that often.

In my end stage, vomiting was one of my symptoms, but it is less common than other symptoms. You absolutely can have celiac disease and not vomit.

At the other end of the scale, my journey though celiac hell included (more than once) the experience of sitting on the toilet with uncontrollable diarrhea whilst simultaneously vomiting into a bucket. icon8.gif

Vomiting absolutely is NOT one of the main symptoms. It just isn't. The only time I've vomited from POSSIBLE gluten ingestion was well after I went gluten-free, and I can't be sure that was from gluten. And before I was diagnosed, I was just about as sick as one could get from celiac without dying.

richard

As waves of nausea, reflux and sour stomach takes over me, I can trace it back to ingesting gluten.

Also, with severe constipation, vomiting would not be unusual.

Celiac Disease has over 200 symptoms and those with gluten intolerance they may vary.

EVERYONE is different.

As everyone has stated, vomiting is not necessarily a Celiac symptom.

For years, my only symptoms were anemia and nausea. I never vomited, though. Save for a couple bouts of stomach virus and during pregnancy, I have never vomited as a result of my Celiac. I do get nauseated sometimes, though.

Some do--it's highly individual :)

Definitely not a required symptom. I wouldn't even say it's one of the more common symptom. This is a reaction in the intestines, NOT the stomach.

I have had vomiting or nausea AFTER I went gluten free and was glutened, not before.

I have read that it is like that with a lot of other people, but a lot do not have that as symptom of glutening.

In europe, lots are diagnosed by screening relatives of celaics, and lots and lots of celiacs never had any symptoms at all. Many of them do not have any symptoms when glutened either.

They just have villous atrophy when they are biopsied, even severe so, without symptoms....and often they have anemia, low b-12, low D, osteopenia, etc.