K8ling

Guess Who Got Glutened!

Rate this topic

Yep, I got Glutened by an Amy's gluten-free/DF spinach Pizza. It was really mild compared to the Great Cheerio Incident (I hadn't been diagnosed yet) but still, I am laying on the couch with an upset stomach now.

Is it possible that it wasn't the pizza and just that I am still adjusting to the diet?

Either way, lime gatorade and rice cakes seem to be my best friends right now :P

Luckily kid is in bed and husband is flying so I am able to wallow on my own.

Amy's doesn't have a very good reputation for their gluten free foods. I won't touch them personally. Too many peopl have gotten sick from them, myself included.

OOOOH BOY do I know that now, I feel terrible. I'm balled up in bed with my dog and my gatorade.

NO MORE AMYS FOR ME!!!

It was definitely the pizza. I've eaten Amy's twice since going gluten free and I was glutened (badly) once.

Amy makes food on shared lines, and though they clean them and test to make sure they're below the 20ppm required to label foods 'gluten-free' their food isn't by any means safe, especially for the more sensitive celiacs.

http://www.amyskitchen.com/special_diets/celiac.php

It was definitely the pizza. I've eaten Amy's twice since going gluten free and I was glutened (badly) once.

Amy makes food on shared lines, and though they clean them and test to make sure they're below the 20ppm required to label foods 'gluten-free' their food isn't by any means safe, especially for the more sensitive celiacs.

http://www.amyskitchen.com/special_diets/celiac.php

I was telling my husband, even if they clean it between every gluten/non gluten thing, all it takes is ONE person having a bad day and slacking off and suddenly there's a bunch of celiacs sick lol.

Thanks for letting me know I'm not crazy!

My sweet sweet mother bought be some Gluten free "mini" muffins, should be Micro , they were tiny ! Anyway I forgot who the manufacturer is. So I was working on the road today and decided to try ! WRONG ! i swear it felt like 5 minutes after it hit my gut the gas bloating and cramps started ! Scary part is in addition to saying Gluten Free on the package it also saied- SUGER FREE, 1 NET CARB... So if they are wrong about the gluten what about diabetic patients what will it do to them ! :blink:

Yep, I got Glutened by an Amy's gluten-free/DF spinach Pizza. It was really mild compared to the Great Cheerio Incident (I hadn't been diagnosed yet) but still, I am laying on the couch with an upset stomach now.

Is it possible that it wasn't the pizza and just that I am still adjusting to the diet?

Either way, lime gatorade and rice cakes seem to be my best friends right now :P

Luckily kid is in bed and husband is flying so I am able to wallow on my own.

:o

I bought one of those and ate half last Wednesday (and I was pissed off because I'd meant to grab the one with dairy cheese and didn't realize my mistake until I got home). I'd been CC'd at a restaurant earlier that day and was already feeling lousy. If there's a bad batch of those pizzas out there, that explains why I had the worst gluten migraine yet for 3 days straight- and why it got worse after I ate the pizza. I was confused because I don't usually get that sick with a minor CC incident.

Rats. Pizza crust is the only thing I haven't figured out how to make well. Back to square one.

Another possibility is that you are intolerant to soy. That pizza is loaded with it. I mention this because it took me literally years to realize that many of the gluten-free foods that I thought had CC'd me had soy and it wasn't the CC that was an issue it was my intolerance to soy.

I have extreme reactions to sugar free things. Sugar alcohols go right through me. So that may have played a part too.

I bought one of those and ate half last Wednesday (and I was pissed off because I'd meant to grab the one with dairy cheese and didn't realize my mistake until I got home). I'd been CC'd at a restaurant earlier that day and was already feeling lousy. If there's a bad batch of those pizzas out there, that explains why I had the worst gluten migraine yet for 3 days straight- and why it got worse after I ate the pizza. I was confused because I don't usually get that sick with a minor CC incident.

Rats. Pizza crust is the only thing I haven't figured out how to make well. Back to square one.

Kinnikinik (I spelled that wrong) makes AWESOME pizza crusts, they're frozen and my toddler AND husband ate it ALL. I had to make more for me lol. No reactions, and very tasty. Hope that helps your pizza dilemma!

OH YEAH and that other Amy's pizza I had in the freezer? I fed it to my toddler. He thought he was super special and it made his day when really he was just getting rid of it for mommy :P

My sweet sweet mother bought be some Gluten free "mini" muffins, should be Micro , they were tiny ! Anyway I forgot who the manufacturer is. So I was working on the road today and decided to try ! WRONG ! i swear it felt like 5 minutes after it hit my gut the gas bloating and cramps started ! Scary part is in addition to saying Gluten Free on the package it also saied- SUGER FREE, 1 NET CARB... So if they are wrong about the gluten what about diabetic patients what will it do to them ! :blink:

Aww it might have been the fake sugar! That has gotten me before.

Kinnikinik (I spelled that wrong) makes AWESOME pizza crusts, they're frozen and my toddler AND husband ate it ALL. I had to make more for me lol. No reactions, and very tasty. Hope that helps your pizza dilemma!

OH YEAH and that other Amy's pizza I had in the freezer? I fed it to my toddler. He thought he was super special and it made his day when really he was just getting rid of it for mommy :P

Thanks for the recommendation! There are a couple of stores near work that carry those. I'll have to check them out SOON.

Thanks for the recommendation! There are a couple of stores near work that carry those. I'll have to check them out SOON.

Also, if your store has it, try the Against the Grain brand of pizza crusts. They're more expensive, but they're WORTH IT. I think the Kinikinnick are also very good, but find them to be a bit sweet, which works well if you top with spicy stuff or make a dessert pizza.

Also, if your store has it, try the Against the Grain brand of pizza crusts. They're more expensive, but they're WORTH IT. I think the Kinikinnick are also very good, but find them to be a bit sweet, which works well if you top with spicy stuff or make a dessert pizza.

Oh, awesome! According to the website, my food co-op carries the Against the Grain products (as does one of the stores that carries the Kinnikinnick line). Thanks for the recommendation.

Oh, awesome! According to the website, my food co-op carries the Against the Grain products (as does one of the stores that carries the Kinnikinnick line). Thanks for the recommendation.

Also, the baguette, when split in half and toasted/baked with garlic butter on top, makes BANGIN garlic bread, just like the stuff you're used to. Just put the garlic butter on top before you bake, not after, or else the baguette dries up and gets hard.

With regard to Amy's, for years I've heard of ppl feeling CC'd by Amy's Frozen Food products, but not the rest.

I can't remember anyone w/ a problem w/ Amy's soups or chili.

Even *I* can eat one of the chili varieties. (I'm practically whole alphabet-free, much more than I list at bottom)

Also, the baguette, when split in half and toasted/baked with garlic butter on top, makes BANGIN garlic bread, just like the stuff you're used to. Just put the garlic butter on top before you bake, not after, or else the baguette dries up and gets hard.

HAHA I could have used this tonight, I had to make due with some Udi's bread with my garlic bread stuff on it LOL it got the job done buuuut.....

If you decide to try making it again, try this one:

http://glutenfreemommy.com/homemade-pizza/

I can't find sweet rice flour where I live, so I simply added more brown rice flour. That was the other thing I did different from the recipe, was used brown rice flour instead of white. It was nearly the best pizza crust I've ever had, and even non-g.f. hubby thought so, too. I say "nearly" the best because next time I make it, I'll probably make two thin crusts instead of one thick, as we like thin crust better. But even with thick crust, the flavor was so good!

Gluten Free Pantry French Bread and Pizza mix! Best yummiest pizza crust. I spray my hands with oil so I can pat it down flat. I use a chunk for a small piza for myself and bake the rest into a loaf of bread.

HAHA I could have used this tonight, I had to make due with some Udi's bread with my garlic bread stuff on it LOL it got the job done buuuut.....

Udi's makes fabulous products - their pizza crust is great. Better than kinnikinnik's. Super-soft cinnimon rolls. And bagels that taste good straight from the bag - no toasting required. I hope you can find some of these products where you live.

I heart Udi's.