conniebky

How About Positive Family Support?

Rate this topic

Thought I'd start this thread since I just ripped on the negative one. :angry:

My daughter is having a kids birthday party on Saturday. She has had her menu planned for a long time. She changed it.

She got Oscar Mayer hot dogs (researched all that), Hormel chili with beans, gluten-free, salad, Wishbone salad dressing marked gluten-free, green beans, potatoes and corn which she's going to use to make succotash and some other things that I can't remember right now, oh - dip marked gluten-free and corn chips, she really worked hard I could tell.

God love her, she totally changed the entire menu and when I called her on it, she didn't even want any kudos for it. She made up some excuse about somethin or nother.

There's not a dag thing she can do about that 1/2 sheetcake cake that she ordered LOL - :lol:

Seriously, it touched me to know how she truly feels about me. Love is a verb, right? :)

So what about yall?

Thought I'd start this thread since I just ripped on the negative one. :angry:

My daughter is having a kids birthday party on Saturday. She has had her menu planned for a long time. She changed it.

She got Oscar Mayer hot dogs (researched all that), Hormel chili with beans, gluten-free, salad, Wishbone salad dressing marked gluten-free, green beans, potatoes and corn which she's going to use to make succotash and some other things that I can't remember right now, oh - dip marked gluten-free and corn chips, she really worked hard I could tell.

God love her, she totally changed the entire menu and when I called her on it, she didn't even want any kudos for it. She made up some excuse about somethin or nother.

There's not a dag thing she can do about that 1/2 sheetcake cake that she ordered LOL - :lol:

Seriously, it touched me to know how she truly feels about me. Love is a verb, right? :)

So what about yall?

She sounds like my 14 year old son. How old is she? :P

I went to visit my brother's family last year. My sister-in-law had a basket of gluten-free snacks and cookies on the counter, had picked up gluten-free soy sauce for the stir fry she was making for dinner, and had baked me a loaf of gluten-free bread. :)

Aww, I love your stories! I have one, too: One day my d.i.l. called and said that they wanted to come over and make us a g.f. dinner! She makes great egg-rolls, but she realized I couldn't eat the regular egg-roll wraps. So I told her that I had read on the web (this board in fact) something about rice egg-roll wraps, and so she said they'd stop at an Asian grocery and see if they had any. They did, and my d.i.l. couldn't believe how inexpensive they were!

So I got my g.f. egg-roll dinner. Fattening, yes, but the calories were worth it.

I went to visit my brother's family last year. My sister-in-law had a basket of gluten-free snacks and cookies on the counter, had picked up gluten-free soy sauce for the stir fry she was making for dinner, and had baked me a loaf of gluten-free bread. :)

Yep!

My brother and SIL had bought a BUNCH of nice french food for hubby & me, when we came back to Paris to visit the family a few months ago -like, 3 days after my diagnosis!

I told them right away about the diagnosis & diet, they went with me through all the labels to see what I could have, put me a portion apart before serving things to everybody else, let me cook whatever I wanted for myself, and came back with a gluten-free dessert cookbook a couple days later :))

My dad made cheeseburgers with tapioca buns, my mom made potato salad, and my husband tried to make gluten-free cookies (with my mom's help of course, he admitted he's helpless w/a baking sheet). It was so sweet that they all checked ingredients and helped each other to make a gluten-free meal that I didn't have to cook myself. Even my toddler "helped" (although that consisted of playing with rice flour LOL).

It was the first meal that I wasn't double checking everything and it was great.

My husband is a homebrewer. He started researching gluten-free homebrewing as soon as he realized I could no longer drink regular beer. His first batch (sorghum and buckwheat) was actually pretty good. And he's been absolutely amazing about making the kitchen gluten-free except for his beer stuff.

My mom has been amazing and makes her home gluten free when we visit (she is now mainly gluten free). She continues to bake gluten bread in her home, so she now abandons all flour activities 48 hours prior to our arrival. We have to travel to get there, but we do come a few times a year. My dad is an awesome cook for us and safely makes us food when we visit - as does my mom. My mom has made us gluten free bread that was awesome too! They have been so understanding and supportive as we have tried to figure this all out.

They even came in for my daughter's kindergarten graduation and helped out today! It was awesome. I have an amazing friend that has been working closely with us to help produce safe food for us. For today's graduation party we took strawberry-banana cupcakes (that were pink - my daughter's favorite color) and lots of cookies - several different kinds. We had an awesome time and got many rave reviews. The principal was delighted and called our cookies "gourmet"! I think he was amazed and thought it was awesome too!

My MIL has also been wonderful. She also takes special precautions when we come to visit and helps to feed us safely. And we appreciate that she understands when we choose to excuse ourselves if needed.

My husband is a homebrewer. He started researching gluten-free homebrewing as soon as he realized I could no longer drink regular beer. His first batch (sorghum and buckwheat) was actually pretty good. And he's been absolutely amazing about making the kitchen gluten-free except for his beer stuff.

Oh that's so exciting! We have most of the beer-making stuff for home brewing, but it's always been one of those things that "we're going to get around to trying" but never did. Until I found out about celiac, that is. At first I panicked thinking, ohmygosh, I can never have another beer as long as I live? :o Perish the thought! I'm not a daily beer drinker or anything but when I do have one, I enjoy every sip! Then I discovered g.f. beer--only tried 3 so far. Bard's I love, Redbridge I thought I would barf (used it for g.f. bread though, it's fine for cooking!), and the other one I can't think of the name of was great, too. It was an imported Belgian ale. But I soon discovered that, even though I don't beer all that often, YIKES! The price of g.f. beer is enough to choke a horse! So I decided I was going to brew my own. At this point hubby pretty much abandoned the idea, as although he likes the g.f. beer too, he seems to think it's impossible to make at home.

So.....do they have those beer-making kits for ignorant beginners in g.f. style? I figure even we can figure out a kit beer, to begin with.... :huh:

Love this thread! I just came from a family birthday lunch and my aunt made the entire meal Gluten Free for me! Nobody minded a bit - actually many couldn't tell/didn't know. But it was nice to partake and not have to worry.

My mom has become my personal baker now. She is trying tons of recipes and they are so yummy! It is her mission to help me gain weight, although I had a healthier way in mind. But, I will "suffer" with her creations in the mean time! ;)

I have only been gluten-free for 4 weeks now, but it has been fine so far. My family is great about it. Although, sometimes we forget like when we are planning on going out to dinner!

Wendi