This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Helps You Fight Cravings?

possiblyglutensensitive

possiblyglutensensitive Explorer

Well the honeymoon period is over I guess?

I have been craving toasted baguette with butter and Nutella, and muffins (warm with butter), and chocolate croissant, and pizza, for 1 week.

The thought of never enjoying them again is a little overwhleming.

When I go to the grocery store and walk through the bakery area, I feel like I am walking through the "drug" area, lol :)

What helps you with cravings? yes my neck and shoulders are better but overall I still feel crappy in several ways and I feel, well, not as motivated to stay gluten-free as I did a few weeks ago. :( Can you relate?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sa1937 Community Regular

Well the honeymoon period is over I guess?

I have been craving toasted baguette with butter and Nutella, and muffins (warm with butter), and chocolate croissant, and pizza, for 1 week.

The thought of never enjoying them again is a little overwhleming.

When I go to the grocery store and walk through the bakery area, I feel like I am walking through the "drug" area, lol :)

What helps you with cravings? yes my neck and shoulders are better but overall I still feel crappy in several ways and I feel, well, not as motivated to stay gluten-free as I did a few weeks ago. :( Can you relate?

Do you bake? If so, you can enjoy some of these things again - just not the gluteny versions and it's far less expensive than buying ready-made products. OK, I don't know about croissants. Pamela's Baking & Pancake Mix can be used for really yummy muffins and I've made banana bread a number of times using her recipe. My gluten-eating friends can't tell the difference. Open Original Shared Link

I also like using gluten-free Bisquick for pancakes although I've not tried the pizza crust. Recipes here: Open Original Shared Link

Or you can buy (or make) gluten-free pizza crusts so you don't have to do without. Some areas have restaurants offering gluten-free pizzas (sadly not in the small town area where I live).

I've baked French bread and I'm really pleased with the way it turns out but you really need to use a stand mixer. Open Original Shared Link

I felt too crappy at the time of my diagnosis that it overshadowed any food cravings I may have had. You really need to stay gluten-free and I can't emphasize that enough! Hope you can find something to satisfy your cravings without jeopardizing your gluten-free diet.

wjp Newbie

I have been gluten free for 1 year now and the best way to satisfy my cravings is to find gluten free ones. Just last night I had pizza. I make this a couple of different ways but the fast way is this: Use corn tortillas, pizza sauce (I found a great one at Harris Teeter, starts with De F-something-can't remember the name), cheese and whatever toppings you want - for me pepperoni. I first put a small amount of olive oil in a fry pan. Lightly sprinkle sea salt in the oil. Fry the tortilla on both sides. Remove from pan and use paper towels to dry the tortilla. Top with sauce, cheese, pepperoni. I put tin foil in my toaster oven and place the tortilla on it. Toast and I then I have a delicious pizza!!!! I have made larger pizza's using Chebe pizza crust (very good). To satisfy my muffin cravings I use Udi's chocolate or cinnamon muffins - very, very good. Keep hunting and you will find ways. This site has a web of information on it. Good Luck!!!!

cahill Collaborator

For me those kinda cravings means that i am getting CC from somewhere. The first thing I do is double check to make sure my food is safe from CC.

Emilushka Contributor

I don't bake, so that's when I break out the Katz Gluten-free, dairy-free baked goods from the freezer. I know what you mean - I hate watching people eat pizza. No cheese for me, so I can't even have gluten-free pizza.

kayo Explorer

Udi's and Kinnikinnik make great muffins. There are also frozen gluten-free pizzas and pizza crusts available if you don't bake. I was never much of a baker before but have dusted off my apron and now I bake regularly. I still prefer cooking over baking but nothing beats a craving like something warm and fresh out of the oven or bread machine.

Fire Fairy Enthusiast

I craved gluten when I was still eating it so I too think you might have a CC problem. I must admit that I find magazine covers with beautiful baked goods a form of torture but I haven't craved anything. And I went gluten free just before the holidays! I don't know maybe I am just lucky but I'd have to suggest looking for CC issues.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

For me, when something like that hits, I redirect myself. Find something else to occupy my mind. Maybe it's exercise, or a hobby, or meeting up with friends, or training my dog - something else that helps me shift gears from food.

AmyE Newbie

Best way---thing of those things when you have been glutened!! After the agony of a migraine when I accidentally have a cc issue--I don't even crave the cinnamon melts from mcd's.....or deep dish pizza....or crispy Kreme donuts......or a hot buttery loaf of fresh bread......Oh...wait, maybe I do lol!! I love udi's blueberry muffins when I crave my baked goods that are now gone or there is a "monster cookie" recipe that's gluten-free!!!! And I eat alot d cheese! It staves away themonster of "what was" good luck

MelindaLee Contributor

Udi's Bagels (nuked and then toasted) fills that fresh out of the oven baked bread craving I get at times. I really like Schar's cibatta rolls, too. Both you have to warm to get the right texture, though. Rudi's gluten-free bread is awesome for a grilled sandwich...it even gets nice and soft like regular bread. Kinnikinnik's Hamburger Buns are pretty good, too...for when you just want a nice juicy burger on a bun!

FooGirlsMom Rookie

I concur. Finding gluten-free versions of your favorite foods is a must. YOu won't eat them all the time I bet(expense)but just having something "normal" is so comforting. Sometimes I purchase my gluten-free breads/goodies and other times I make them myself. It's all part of the transition and new way of life. Having pizza, cookies or cake (or bagels, muffins)..fillin the blank....once or twice a week can save your sanity.

Hang in there

FooGirlsMom

Judy3 Contributor

I made pizza the other day with Hodgson Mills pizza crust mix. It was good! Top it with whatever you like. I've been craving toast the last two days (probably because I've seen my non gluten free mother and she talks about her morning toast ALL THE TIME lol So I bought some UDI's bread tonight so I can have a piece of toast.

You just have to work your way through it and find what relieves the craving. It's not easy but there are alternatives out there. Your food limitations are only as small as your imagination!.. My new philosophy in life (since having to go Gluten free in Nov)

possiblyglutensensitive Explorer

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I think it is a psychological craving, not a physical one (I lived with daily physical cravings prior to going gluten-free and it feels different. Also I used to smoke and have had both types of cigarette cravings- physical when I was trying to quit, and psychological, several months after quitting). The other thing is, I have not eaten anything new or been out to the restaurant or to someone's house to eat.

jenngolightly Contributor

I agree with some of the comments. I get stronger cravings for gluten foods when I'm getting cc'd from something. The longer I'm away from gluten, the fewer cravings I get.

But having a few treats on hand is always good. I stay away from gluten-substitutes as those just make me miss the gluten kind - nothing is ever as good. Find tasty food that is great on its own that you didn't really enjoy on your gluten diet.

Melstar23 Apprentice

I am doing a lot more baking than I used to and as a result I am eating a lot more cake than I did before going gluten free! Before I could go out for a piece of cake if I was craving it, now I end up with a whole cake and someone has to eat it. It may be a bit old school, but a bought a few of Bette Hagman's Gluten free gourmet books and the recipes are very good. Her bread book is great, I have made 3 different bread from it and they are as good as the real thing :-). Also I have found that cookie recipes and desserts that don't need a lot of flour (like brownies) work just as well using a pre-mixed gluten free flour (I use Orgran, but I don't know if that brand is available where you are). Good luck!

catarific Contributor

I guess when you have a lot of sensitivities - cravings begin to stop - because knowing the result of eating a food that does not agree with you - does not constitute a good thing. I had wanted to lose weight before this started - funny - now I want to gain some back! I guess your outlook changes when you cannot eat everything you did before and instead of cravings, you seek out foods that won't make you feel bad....

Archived