lmn001

So So Confused

Rate this topic

My daughter has gluten intolerance as well as casein and soy intolerance. I suspect some form of sugar intolerance, but I'm not sure about that. She has been tested for celiac and is negative. She does not have the gene for celiac but does have a double gluten intolerance gene. She was strictly gluten free for about 3 months. She had some resolution of symptoms, but still had stomach aches, some reflux and constipation. A couple of weeks ago we had a death in the family. Because of this she was off of her diet. She had mild stomach aches, but nothing much more than her normal. She claims she felt no worse eating "normally" than she does eating gluten-free. She does not want to go back to the diet.

My confusion is why does she not have a more severe reaction? Could it be that her stomach issues never were caused by the wheat? Could it be that it just didn't catch up with her yet. She's only 12 and I don't want to make her eat this way if it's not really necessary. We don't even have a doctor to ask about this. None of her doctors see gluten intolerance as a real issue. They pooh pooh any connection unless there is celiac present.

Any advice would be appreciated - she tested positive on an IGG blood test and on the Enterolab stool testing

It sounds like from the tests her body is making antibodies against gluten which would indicate that she needs to eliminate it. She may have still had symptoms due to a secondary intolerance like soy or dairy. She could've been experience withdrawl symptoms. Or maybe she just wasn't on the diet long enough to see results.

When she was gluten free her insides healed a bit. She was no longer making antibodies. As long as she keeps eating gluten those antibodies will build up and then she will definetly start feeling the after effects.

If she has a problem with gluten she can develop problems long term, a lot of auto immune diseases to infertility, depression so on and so on.

I also think she may have been in withdrawals to cross contamination to having other food intolerances.

young strong people heal fast, and she may not have had that much damage to begin with campared to a thirty five year old like me, for example? As much as I hate to say it much of the gluten free section of stores consists of products that are quite heavy on starch and sugar which can encourge the wrong kind of intestinal flora, in particular if there is a history of antibiotic use, not breast fed ect... This problem is not solved with probiotic foods or supplements. Really a whole foods predominatley meat and vegetable diet is what is in order, with the occaisional gluten free treat if you see where I'm going with this. Are there any clues from past stool tests or anything to go on? Senstivity to mold, dust mites, diesel exhaust?

I have a daughter that is 7 and I know what's it's like to put healthy food in front of these kids, difficult! But at the same time, they seem to respond to positive change quicker and at least with sugar intake for example, a little lifestyle change can go a long way vs. An adult which may have to completely cut off all sugars and starchy foods for a long period of time to overcome an intestinal overgrowth.

In any case, you're a great parent for having caught the gluten intolerance at the young age and if it were me, I would remain vigilent and strict with it. Hope that helps

....and at 12 years old, it is possible she was never totally compliant with the diet.