This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Sad

Brigit

Brigit Apprentice

I've never struggled to control my emotions, love people, love being busy and am generally easy going.

But since being gluten free 3 weeks now, I've just been sad. I've had 3 or 4 public tears, well meltdowns actually. :) Just feeling like I can't anymore, emotionally.

My symptoms have subsided since being gluten free, which makes my body happier, but my emotions are really struggling.

I can't think of anything else that it can be, other than maybe tiredness, cause I'm not sleeping that well. Is that normal, to be so emotionally unstable after starting a gluten free diet?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

etta694 Explorer

I am sure it is normal... I've shed tears too. Once just because someone made something gluten free for me and I didn't expect it. There is definitely a grieving process especially when you have a life change like this. I've heard others talk about this too. You need a HUG!!! :)

txplowgirl Enthusiast

Hi Brigit, you are going through a grieving process yes, but for a lot of us it can be from gluten withdrawal also. Just hang in there and one morning you'll wake up and it'll be gone.

Wish you well.

ciavyn Contributor

I had several emotional meltdowns in the beginning because I felt like everything had to be from scratch and really complicated. Since that has since been disproven ;) it's all good. :) Give yourself time. It does get easier.

ndw3363 Contributor

I've been gluten free almost 4 weeks now. First 3 were brutal. I'm just now starting to feel a bit of light at the end of the tunnel. Headaches aren't as bad and I'm not all over the place emotionally (the sunny warm might have something to do with it though). From what I hear, it can take a few months to really feel better. That's the only thing keeping me going at this point. This week, I FEEL better, but I want gluten foods very badly. I'm hoping the craving phase goes away by this weekend. Luckily, my favorite wine is gluten free! That should help!

Brigit Apprentice

Thanks ladies!

I struggled to get up this morning and was miserable all the way through my puffed rice cereal. :) But on the way to work decided to put a brave face on and celebrate and be thankful for the good things that are happening because I've cut out gluten.

So I'll start celebrating soon... maybe after a glass of wine or two ;)

Seriously though, thanks for the advice and encouragement, it's really appreciated. When I told my husband how I was feeling, he answered; "why don't you ask The Forum, maybe someone there can tell you if it's normal and what to expect." :) Yay for this forum! :)

mushroom Proficient

Have you had all your nutrient levels checked, Brigit? I ask because I have always been a positive, upbeat person but was finding myself feeling very teary and sorry for myself, would almost start crying if someone showed some empathy - like when I went to my doc who is great and I love her. I was almost what they would call emotionally labile (I worked in a psychiatric clinic once :D ). One of the problems was my thyroid which I made her check, and the result was that not only was it low but I I was really low in B12, folate and Vit. D, amongst other things (which I also made her check - and the reason I say she is great is not because she knows a lot but she will do what I ask :) ) This is why I say we all have to be as informed as, if not better than, our doctors about this condition because we need to tell them what we need. So everything was below par, and once I got my body on an even keel all this emotional stuff went away. This is one reason I rail on about doctors who blame everything on stress and female hormones and emotions, when in actual fact it is imbalances in our bodies that is causing the emotions and none of them are trained to recognize this. Medical schools - teach your doctors basic nutrition!!! :ph34r: I swear to God they must have a class in medical school about female emotions and how to pat them on the shoulder and say "there, there" :wacko: I actually had one do that to me once :huh: He never saw my face in his door again.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Brigit Apprentice

I like your attitude! :) I've not had my levels checked, the period leading up to this time, the doctor had me on iron drips every two weeks and doing all sorts of other checks on me, none that came back positive as they weren't anything to do with Celiac, so because of all the doctors visits we are financially strapped now for a month or two.

It was definitely that same attitude the whole time, like I must just be stressed or depressed. Meanwhile, my body isn't working the way it should be.

Once we have money, I'll be going for more help, right now I'm just doing what I can.

I've been given a name of a doctor who is a homeopath with medical background, she has worked extensively with autistic children who she had on gluten free diets and lots of patients with various other diet issues. So I'm looking forward to being able to see her and to be helped properly.

Until then, I've upped my mineral & vitamin doses, cut out gluten and using all your advice which is serving me well!

ravenwoodglass Mentor

You are likely going through withdrawl and hopefully it will lift soon. It also is a big change and many of us do go through a grieving process as the others have mentioned. By the time you have the financial means to see the homeopathic doctor you may be feeling great. Do be aware that not all naturopathic doctors are as up on celiac and how sensitive we are as they should be. I saw one who had the rep of being the best in my state and he glutened me with every very expensive thing he 'prescribed' me. He had the attitude that 'just a little bit' in his remedies won't hurt. They did and not just my body but also my pocketbook. Not saying yours won't be good but wanted you to be careful and to research what she may give you.

Emma-Lee Rookie

Hey lady! Hang in there. I think we were both diagnosed around the same time. No joking, it can be rough. Here is what I learned that has helped with the sadness. I got tested for B12, iron deficiency, and Vit D. The results: I have stage 2 iron deficiency (close to iron anemia) and a Vit D deficiency. thank goodness my B12 is ok. But these are common things with Celiac. So my MD had me start some supplements. After reading up on these issues I learned that ANY deficiency can contribute to mood. Meaning sadness, irritability, tiredness, depression. It made a LOT of sense for me! I do feel a LOT better with the added supplements. Not sure if you have been tested or not, but would suggest you ask your doctor, if not. I feel SO much better, happier, and such. So yes, hang in there, you can do it! Wish you the best, Emma

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Hey lady! Hang in there. I think we were both diagnosed around the same time. No joking, it can be rough. Here is what I learned that has helped with the sadness. I got tested for B12, iron deficiency, and Vit D. The results: I have stage 2 iron deficiency (close to iron anemia) and a Vit D deficiency. thank goodness my B12 is ok. But these are common things with Celiac. So my MD had me start some supplements. After reading up on these issues I learned that ANY deficiency can contribute to mood. Meaning sadness, irritability, tiredness, depression. It made a LOT of sense for me! I do feel a LOT better with the added supplements. Not sure if you have been tested or not, but would suggest you ask your doctor, if not. I feel SO much better, happier, and such. So yes, hang in there, you can do it! Wish you the best, Emma

IF your B12 level was below 500 you may want to try a sublingual B12 even if the levels say that you are in the normal range. It can take a long time for the blood levels to drop even after we are unable to utilize the B12. Some doctors still use the 250 lower level, mine did. B12 is water soluable so taking too much is not going to hurt you as you will simply excrete what the body can't use. Do use the sublingual form as you won't absorb it from swallowed vitamins until you have healed.

Brigit Apprentice

You are likely going through withdrawl and hopefully it will lift soon. It also is a big change and many of us do go through a grieving process as the others have mentioned. By the time you have the financial means to see the homeopathic doctor you may be feeling great. Do be aware that not all naturopathic doctors are as up on celiac and how sensitive we are as they should be. I saw one who had the rep of being the best in my state and he glutened me with every very expensive thing he 'prescribed' me. He had the attitude that 'just a little bit' in his remedies won't hurt. They did and not just my body but also my pocketbook. Not saying yours won't be good but wanted you to be careful and to research what she may give you.

Thank you! I'll definitely research the doctors advice. I've spent a lot of time on the internet since being gluten free!

Brigit Apprentice

Hi Emma,

thanks for the kind words! I am needing to up my supplements, but I stupidly bought supplements from a pharmacy, and since learned that their doses are ridiculously low for my needs. I've since found a healthshop that has what I need, so I'll be getting what I need there.

Crazy hey, how some basic mineral and vitamin shortage can mess with us so dramatically!

All the best to you to - trust to hear wonderful stories of success from you in the future. :)

Fire Fairy Enthusiast

Hi Emma,

thanks for the kind words! I am needing to up my supplements, but I stupidly bought supplements from a pharmacy, and since learned that their doses are ridiculously low for my needs. I've since found a healthshop that has what I need, so I'll be getting what I need there.

Crazy hey, how some basic mineral and vitamin shortage can mess with us so dramatically!

All the best to you to - trust to hear wonderful stories of success from you in the future. :)

Check out Pilgrams Pride online they show their ingredients so you can confirm it's gluten free. All their bottles are buy one get one free and I think they are much cheaper than any vitamin store/health food store in my area.

I too am rather broke so I've been bargain hunting. :)

IrishHeart Veteran

Hi Brigit!

YES! I am feeling the same moodiness (totally unlike my happy personality :blink: ) and have been fighting off depression and tears. I was crying every day for 3 years :unsure: before I stopped the gluten. Sometimes, I even had RAGE :blink: but at least now, it has been better. And I KNOW why I was so "nutsy". It never made any sense to me, although I also have chronic pain, so I was "down",,,but this continued gloominess was certainly connected to the gluten. I am feeling the clouds "lifting" gradually and so, I feel reassured it will resolve. (BTW, I refused anti-depressants from doctors who felt that all of this illness was "in my head" HA!) Idiots!

If you are eating well, taking vitamins, and staying off the gluten, it WILL get better.

One thing I know, my HORMONES took a big whack from the gluten---not just thyroid, but female hormones and so, it is likely everything inside of you is realigning, balancing and reorganizing.

Doctors underestimate the widespread damage gluten does to the body. It affects EVERYTHING--organs, tissues, mucosa--and so, as it leaves the body, the gut repairs and the neurotransmitters, like seratonin--will start to work as they should in your brain.

You may be having trouble sleeping right now, but it will subside as well. I could not sleep well for YEARS, at one point, only 1 or 2 hours a night!! but now, I am starting to get almost 6. I celebrate this and see the connection to how long I am gluten-free! (almost 3 months)

I wish it would happen faster :) because it is difficult to be moody and weepy (who likes that??! UGH!) yet I feel certain it will level off as time passes. Almost all of these women have told me the same thing...time heals all of the things that have been affected by the celiac.

I went to a Naturopath for 2.5 years before my diagnosis. I spent thousands of dollars on supplements. My husband and I were desperate for me to be well and no one in the mainstream medical world could help me. The supplements did nothing for me---the gluten was the key --and all the supplements in the world are useless when the gut cannot absorb them. I would hate to see you waste money as well. JUST MY HUMBLE OPINION.

Taking Vit. D-3 and B-12 usually resolve the low feelings. when you can afford it, it would not hurt to have your thyroid levels checked, but they too level off after being gluten free sometimes.

Give your body some time, hon. You are still in withdrawal!! You are young, so you will heal faster!! Hang in there. Here's a ((HUG)).

best wishes!! :)

Brigit Apprentice

Hi Brigit!

YES! I am feeling the same moodiness (totally unlike my happy personality :blink: ) and have been fighting off depression and tears. I was crying every day for 3 years :unsure: before I stopped the gluten. Sometimes, I even had RAGE :blink: but at least now, it has been better. And I KNOW why I was so "nutsy". It never made any sense to me, although I also have chronic pain, so I was "down",,,but this continued gloominess was certainly connected to the gluten. I am feeling the clouds "lifting" gradually and so, I feel reassured it will resolve. (BTW, I refused anti-depressants from doctors who felt that all of this illness was "in my head" HA!) Idiots!

If you are eating well, taking vitamins, and staying off the gluten, it WILL get better.

One thing I know, my HORMONES took a big whack from the gluten---not just thyroid, but female hormones and so, it is likely everything inside of you is realigning, balancing and reorganizing.

Doctors underestimate the widespread damage gluten does to the body. It affects EVERYTHING--organs, tissues, mucosa--and so, as it leaves the body, the gut repairs and the neurotransmitters, like seratonin--will start to work as they should in your brain.

You may be having trouble sleeping right now, but it will subside as well. I could not sleep well for YEARS, at one point, only 1 or 2 hours a night!! but now, I am starting to get almost 6. I celebrate this and see the connection to how long I am gluten-free! (almost 3 months)

I wish it would happen faster :) because it is difficult to be moody and weepy (who likes that??! UGH!) yet I feel certain it will level off as time passes. Almost all of these women have told me the same thing...time heals all of the things that have been affected by the celiac.

I went to a Naturopath for 2.5 years before my diagnosis. I spent thousands of dollars on supplements. My husband and I were desperate for me to be well and no one in the mainstream medical world could help me. The supplements did nothing for me---the gluten was the key --and all the supplements in the world are useless when the gut cannot absorb them. I would hate to see you waste money as well. JUST MY HUMBLE OPINION.

Taking Vit. D-3 and B-12 usually resolve the low feelings. when you can afford it, it would not hurt to have your thyroid levels checked, but they too level off after being gluten free sometimes.

Give your body some time, hon. You are still in withdrawal!! You are young, so you will heal faster!! Hang in there. Here's a ((HUG)).

best wishes!! :)

:) :) :) Thank you!

I've been copying and pasting parts of all your posts for my husband to see, so he to can see there is a brighter future awaiting. :)

Thank you, I really appreciated your response.

All the best to you, trusting you'll be going from strength to strength as well!

IrishHeart Veteran

I do not know if you have ever read my whole story, but the many symptoms that developed in me took years. I have a long journey to heal all that has gone awry. I am in grueling physical therapy.

But, you! You are young and have been diagnosed early. This is GOOD because it will prevent you from acquiring more autoimmune disease. I am certain you will feel better and better in the coming months.

I trust you are under the care of the doctor who diagnosed you?

We are very blessed because we have husbands who love us very much and are sticking by us . :D Others have been deserted by their spouses or families and that has made their healing all the more difficult. Very sad.

Take care and please feel free to "talk" to me anytime! :)

Marie1976 Enthusiast

I am on here looking for something to tell me that my depression will go away when I stop eating gluten but it doesn't seem like that's going to happen overnight huh? (I'm still eating gluten until my endoscopy in April.)

I have had ups and downs in the past but the past few days I've been having the worst depression ever. Since I got the blood test results I have been blaming my moods on celiac but honestly I don't know what is wrong with me.

I'm unhappy about everything in my life, and just a few months ago I felt normal/happy. At first my feeling about the endoscopy was fear that I won't wake up from the anesthesia (I get paranoid about that kind of thing) but today I was actually thinking wouldn't that be nice if I didn't wake up. I don't really want to die but that's how I feel right now.

I can't stop crying and I don't have anyone to talk to; everyone close to me has worse problems than mine (mom and sister both going through divorces for example) and my husband is at work all the time. My little boy today saw me crying and I had to say "I'm just tired." I feel like a failure as a mother/wife/human being. I hope it does get better after I quit gluten and I don't get into an even worse funk...

IrishHeart Veteran

I am on here looking for something to tell me that my depression will go away when I stop eating gluten but it doesn't seem like that's going to happen overnight huh? (I'm still eating gluten until my endoscopy in April.)

I have had ups and downs in the past but the past few days I've been having the worst depression ever. Since I got the blood test results I have been blaming my moods on celiac but honestly I don't know what is wrong with me.

I'm unhappy about everything in my life, and just a few months ago I felt normal/happy. At first my feeling about the endoscopy was fear that I won't wake up from the anesthesia (I get paranoid about that kind of thing) but today I was actually thinking wouldn't that be nice if I didn't wake up. I don't really want to die but that's how I feel right now.

I can't stop crying and I don't have anyone to talk to; everyone close to me has worse problems than mine (mom and sister both going through divorces for example) and my husband is at work all the time. My little boy today saw me crying and I had to say "I'm just tired." I feel like a failure as a mother/wife/human being. I hope it does get better after I quit gluten and I don't get into an even worse funk...

Oh hon, you are not alone! You are not a failure!!

There are many posts about this on here and many success stories of those feelings disappearing.

Many of us have depression and anxiety and those are BOTH gluten related!! It will get better once you can stop ingesting it.

I have uttered those same words, but I did not mean it. I do not want to die, but I felt very low from being so ill and in pain. I used to cry every single day and I was the happiest woman in the world. That's how I KNEW something was going on inside of me.

Please keep telling your husband how you feel. Talk to your doctor.

Is your doctor aware of your depressed moods? Someone needs to know you are feeling so low, Marie....you should not suffer through this alone.

I wish I could reassure you more. Keep coming on here and talking to US. We are here for you!

I promise you, it does get better.

mushroom Proficient

I am so sorry you have to keep torturing yourself for a while longer, and feeling so sad and depressed while you are doing it. The good news is that as soon as you stop eating the gluten that depression should start to lift. Perhaps you can get some meds from your doctor in the meantime to see you through so you do not feel so miserable. Better days ARE ahead, we promise you, although it may not seem like it now. Hang in there, and don't be afraid to ask for help. Virtual {{{{hugs}}}}

Marie1976 Enthusiast

I can't talk to my husband, he doesn't really get it. When I went through this before, being depressed, he would worry about me and call me during the day to ask "how I'm feeling" in a way that seems patronizing even though I know he doesn't mean to be. I can't take that right now.

I have asked (begged) him to put off some household projects that he's working on during the weekends, so that he can help me more with the kids, and to stop working so much overtime (to pay for all his projects) but he doesn't really listen to me.

Since I've had kids I am afraid to tell a doctor I'm depressed. Like they are going to come and take my kids away if I'm depressed. I know that sounds crazy. I'm realizing how crazy I sound as I am writing this. I think I have just been tired/sick for too long and it's starting to get to me. And I feel alone. I'm really glad I found this forum, people who understand how I feel. Thank you for your encouraging words, and for letting me rant. :)

IrishHeart Veteran

None of this sounds crazy to me!!

Depression is a major symptom of celiac. That is a fact. No doctor who is treating you for celiac will think you are making that up or will take your children away. Tell your husband that you need help right now. You both need to realize that this is not your fault---it is the disease and you need support, hon!

Mothering3 Apprentice

Me too, Brigit. I've been off gluten for a little over a week as part of a detox diet, but got my diagnosis yesterday and am kind of reeling. Not having a good attitude. I am teary and feel sort of bitter and on one hand it seems kind of trivial to me (come on, its just a diet) but on the other hand I am just so sad about things like not being able to eat at friends' houses anymore. And not eating my favorite bread anymore.

I think I am also just weary from being sick...I was already getting teary last week about not being able to eat without getting sick, and feeling so hungry and tired.

Thanks for posting. You are not alone. Hope we start cheering up together soon enough.

Jade

I've never struggled to control my emotions, love people, love being busy and am generally easy going.

But since being gluten free 3 weeks now, I've just been sad. I've had 3 or 4 public tears, well meltdowns actually. :) Just feeling like I can't anymore, emotionally.

My symptoms have subsided since being gluten free, which makes my body happier, but my emotions are really struggling.

I can't think of anything else that it can be, other than maybe tiredness, cause I'm not sleeping that well. Is that normal, to be so emotionally unstable after starting a gluten free diet?

Archived