snifter

Corn Contains Gluten? Huh?

Rate this topic

OK so I'm not trying to get in a arguement about corn. But on my news feed someone made a comment "did you know corn contains gluten"

OK I know there seems to be all kinds of issues with corn and I try to avoid it as much as possible. I know it hardly provides any nutritional value. And I do believe that the corn seed was messed up in the 90's and now has a very negative effect.

But I have never heard that it contains gluten. What do you think this person meant? Cross contamination?

OK so I'm not trying to get in a arguement about corn. But on my news feed someone made a comment "did you know corn contains gluten"

OK I know there seems to be all kinds of issues with corn and I try to avoid it as much as possible. I know it hardly provides any nutritional value. And I do believe that the corn seed was messed up in the 90's and now has a very negative effect.

But I have never heard that it contains gluten. What do you think this person meant? Cross contamination?

There is such thing as corn gluten, but it's not something we have to worry about:

http://www.celiac.com/articles/186/1/Corn-Gluten---Is-it-Safe-for-a-People-with-Celiac-Disease-Who-are-on-a-Gluten-Free-Diet/Page1.html

Cross-contamination is another issue altogether.

The term 'gluten' refers to protein storage. Within the proteins are the substances that those with celiac must avoid. So, yes, corn has gluten as does rice, etc., but these are not harmful to celiacs. I really don't know how the whole gluten free thing came to be, maybe someone else has the history of why it was worded the way it is.

Might take a look at this. I was trying to find a different explanation & will put it on if I find it.

http://www.celiac.com/articles/186/1/Corn-Gluten---Is-it-Safe-for-a-People-with-Celiac-Disease-Who-are-on-a-Gluten-Free-Diet/Page1.html

Looks like Heatherjane got to this first. :)

You can still have problems with corn but it isn't the same problem as with wheat. Isn't that comforting? :(

Thank you so much!!! You guys are the BEST!!!!