This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Traveling After Only 10 Days Gluten Free... Any Suggestions Would Be Apprceciated!

MsCurious

MsCurious Enthusiast

After 10 days gluten and dairy free, I am about to travel for THREE weeks... and I'm a bit anxious about it. The good part is, aside from a few days traveling by air and car, I will be with family, so I can go to the store and buy things I know are safe, and I plan to take some homemade rice krispie bars and bananas or something like that with me, so I have something along I know is safe. We will be traveling for about 12 hours, on two different days... not sure what will be safe to eat in the airports. Any helpful tips? Thanks so much!

I just remembered Rice Kripsies...aren't gluten-free... if I remember right, so I'll just use Rice Chex! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

You can use Erewhon gluten-free crispy brown rice for your treats. Rice Krispies have malt in them. They are a no-no.

Bring the cereal, fresh fruit, natural peanut or almond butter, rice cakes, gluten-free crackers or pretzels (if you tolerate soy), some Lara bars, nuts, handy cartons of rice or almond milk.

You can avoid CC if you stick to real, whole foods while at people's houses. Watch anything pre-packaged.

Good luck and have a great trip!

kareng Grand Master

For the airplane or car you can make sandwiches. The airplane won't let you bring ice packs. I got little packets of pb & almond butter at whole foods. You can take them on the plane in your quart baggie. Sounds like when you get there you can get things you need. Watch out when using others cooking stuff. Foil is your friend! Don't use the toasters unless you have one of those toaster bags.

MsCurious Enthusiast

For the airplane or car you can make sandwiches. The airplane won't let you bring ice packs. I got little packets of pb & almond butter at whole foods. You can take them on the plane in your quart baggie. Sounds like when you get there you can get things you need. Watch out when using others cooking stuff. Foil is your friend! Don't use the toasters unless you have one of those toaster bags.

What's a toaster bag? :blink: Also, I haven't tried any gluten free breads yet... any suggestions on that? I have a Trader Joe's near me, but didn't see any. Seems like everything was all spread out in the store and I didn't have a lot of time when I was there. B) I did pick up some rice pasta (penne style) and made it last night... my dish was FABULOUS...nobody would have ever known. I wish I hadn't told my husband to see if he'd notice, although he knows I wouldn't use wheat pasta so, that trick wouldn't have worked anyway. :P But, I have to say, I was REALLY HAPPY to know I can still have pasta, and its GOOD! Now about those bags... ? :D

MsCurious Enthusiast

You can use Erewhon gluten-free crispy brown rice for your treats. Rice Krispies have malt in them. They are a no-no.

Bring the cereal, fresh fruit, natural peanut or almond butter, rice cakes, gluten-free crackers or pretzels (if you tolerate soy), some Lara bars, nuts, handy cartons of rice or almond milk.

You can avoid CC if you stick to real, whole foods while at people's houses. Watch anything pre-packaged.

Good luck and have a great trip!

Thanks Irish, you're always so helpful! ;) Where can I find Lara Bars and Erewhon? :huh: Thanks!

kareng Grand Master

What's a toaster bag? :blink: Also, I haven't tried any gluten free breads yet... any suggestions on that? I have a Trader Joe's near me, but didn't see any. Seems like everything was all spread out in the store and I didn't have a lot of time when I was there. B) I did pick up some rice pasta (penne style) and made it last night... my dish was FABULOUS...nobody would have ever known. I wish I hadn't told my husband to see if he'd notice, although he knows I wouldn't use wheat pasta so, that trick wouldn't have worked anyway. :P But, I have to say, I was REALLY HAPPY to know I can still have pasta, and its GOOD! Now about those bags... ? :D

I found them in a specialty kitchen store near me so I didn't have to pay shipping. There are lots of places to order them.

Open Original Shared Link

Open Original Shared Link free.com/index.cfm/manufacturer/IMCG/959069-___-Toast-It-Bags.html

For bread, most people like Udi's, Rudis (becareful when choosing as they make wheat bread, too) and Canyon Bakehouse. whole Foods is the easiest place to find them but lots of groceries have them in the frozen health foods section.

Remember that the people you are visiting make regular pasta in thier pans and colanders. Pasta scum is hard to get out of the little cracks and colander holes. I bought a pan with a lid, a fry pan, spatula, folding colander, cutting boards, big plastic spoon, & cheese shredder to take in my suitcase. I get the flat flexible cutting mats. Got them 2 for $1 at the Dollar store but other places have them. like this:

MsCurious Enthusiast

I found them in a specialty kitchen store near me so I didn't have to pay shipping. There are lots of places to order them.

Open Original Shared Link free.com/index.cfm/manufacturer/IMCG/959069-___-Toast-It-Bags.html

For bread, most people like Udi's, Rudis (becareful when choosing as they make wheat bread, too) and Canyon Bakehouse. whole Foods is the easiest place to find them but lots of groceries have them in the frozen health foods section.

Remember that the people you are visiting make regular pasta in thier pans and colanders. Pasta scum is hard to get out of the little cracks and colander holes. I bought a pan with a lid, a fry pan, spatula, folding colander, cutting boards, big plastic spoon, & cheese shredder to take in my suitcase. I get the flat flexible cutting mats. Got them 2 for $1 at the Dollar store but other places have them. like this:

Oh, thanks a bunch kareng... great info! I think I'll get the colander and cutting board to go. They have stainless steel pans and spoons etc, so that should be okay. :) Thanks for the bread info. I've not tried Whole Foods yet...but I'll stop there today.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

rosetapper23 Explorer

I'm a fan of Udi's white sandwich bread and whole grain bread, and you can find it in the frozen food section of Whole Foods and many chain supermarkets (some Safeways, Raley's, Nob Hill, Ralph's, etc.). I've found that the best way to keep it fluffy for making cold sandwiches is to place several slices in a plastic sandwich bag. The warmth of the outside air (or in a car) steams it to perfection. Otherwise, if I'm making a grilled sandwich with it, I defrost a couple of slices in the microwave--wrap the slices well and only heat for 10-20 seconds (depending on the strength of your microwave), and then turn the slices over and heat them again for 10-20 seconds.

When I take plane trips, I take gluten-free Crunchmaster crackers (can be found in the cracker section of most supermarkets, and you'll love them!), slices of cheese, small packets of peanut butter, a couple of apples, a few Lara bars, and a gluten-free candy bar like Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. As for food AT airports, that's a little more complicated. I generally choose a steak place and order a baked potato (after asking the usual questions) and a small steak with vegetables. Many airports, however, only have fast food restaurants, so you'll need to be really careful. Definitely don't eat any Chinese or Japanese food at the airports!

Have a great trip!

IrishHeart Veteran

I buy Erewhon Cereals and Lara Bars right at my supermarket... Hannaford (is that chain in California??)

This site's Gluten free mall carries those things, but I know you need them now, so that's no help. How about a Whole Foods? Man, I wish we had one nearby.

I like UDI's bagels and breads. We resorted to making our own bread, though, as it is cheaper and stays softer longer. But we keep the Udi's in the freezer for "just in case".

We are lucky we have a gluten-free cafe and bakery nearby that makes stuff, too. Do you have one near you??

For travel sammies, the Udi's plain bagels work really well!

MsCurious Enthusiast

I'm a fan of Udi's white sandwich bread and whole grain bread, and you can find it in the frozen food section of Whole Foods and many chain supermarkets (some Safeways, Raley's, Nob Hill, Ralph's, etc.). I've found that the best way to keep it fluffy for making cold sandwiches is to place several slices in a plastic sandwich bag. The warmth of the outside air (or in a car) steams it to perfection. Otherwise, if I'm making a grilled sandwich with it, I defrost a couple of slices in the microwave--wrap the slices well and only heat for 10-20 seconds (depending on the strength of your microwave), and then turn the slices over and heat them again for 10-20 seconds.

When I take plane trips, I take gluten-free Crunchmaster crackers (can be found in the cracker section of most supermarkets, and you'll love them!), slices of cheese, small packets of peanut butter, a couple of apples, a few Lara bars, and a gluten-free candy bar like Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. As for food AT airports, that's a little more complicated. I generally choose a steak place and order a baked potato (after asking the usual questions) and a small steak with vegetables. Many airports, however, only have fast food restaurants, so you'll need to be really careful. Definitely don't eat any Chinese or Japanese food at the airports!

Have a great trip!

Thanks so much rosetapper23, I just had a thought though.... about the bread. I'm still new to this, and haven't purchased anything "processed" yet, and I forgot about the fact that it can't have dairy in it! :o I'd bet it does... I'll have to check their site for ingredients first, I guess. Thanks though for all your time and info!

MsCurious Enthusiast

I buy Erewhon Cereals and Lara Bars right at my supermarket... Hannaford (is that chain in California??)

This site's Gluten free mall carries those things, but I know you need them now, so that's no help. How about a Whole Foods? Man, I wish we had one nearby.

I like UDI's bagels and breads. We resorted to making our own bread, though, as it is cheaper and stays softer longer. But we keep the Udi's in the freezer for "just in case".

We are lucky we have a gluten-free cafe and bakery nearby that makes stuff, too. Do you have one near you??

For travel sammies, the Udi's plain bagels work really well!

Thanks Irish! I'm in Cali, but don't think we have Hannaford, but we do have TJ's and Whole Foods, so I'll run there today. I'm going to have to do a bit of research on the breads. I wonder if anyone else has found a bread that is both gluten and dairy free. It almost seems impossible~ :blink: Wish me luck... going shopping in just a bit. B)

IrishHeart Veteran

It's okay...UDI's white bread and plain bagels are DAIRY FREE!! Otherwise, yours truly would not be eating them!! ;)

Good luck shopping!! You're gonna be okay!!

IrishHeart Veteran

Karen! COOOLL....thanks for the tip on the toaster bags!!

those are a fabulous idea and I was wondering how I would tote a stupid toaster around this summer...LOL LOL

Thanks a bazillion!!! ;)

MsCurious Enthusiast

It's okay...UDI's white bread and plain bagels are DAIRY FREE!! Otherwise, yours truly would not be eating them!! ;)

Good luck shopping!! You're gonna be okay!!

YAY!! Thanks so much, Irish, Karen and Rose!! WOOO HOOO... its DAIRY FREE! That makes me SOOOO HAPPY! Now I'm all set, I think! You guys are GREAT! :D

kareng Grand Master

YAY!! Thanks so much, Irish, Karen and Rose!! WOOO HOOO... its DAIRY FREE! That makes me SOOOO HAPPY! Now I'm all set, I think! You guys are GREAT! :D

My favorite canyon Bakehouse San Juan bread is dairy free. It is a heartier whole grain bread.

rosetapper23 Explorer

I just checked the Udi's package, and it says "dairy-free" on it. You're in luck!

IrishHeart Veteran

My favorite canyon Bakehouse San Juan bread is dairy free. It is a heartier whole grain bread.

and where does one find this yummy- sounding bread, may I ask?? :)

IrishHeart Veteran

ok...never mind, I found it!!! ...good ole internet!! :D

kareng Grand Master

ok...never mind, I found it!!! ...good ole internet!! :D

What would we do without it?

I know lots of people around here love the raisin bread they make.

IrishHeart Veteran

What would we do without it?

I know lots of people around here love the raisin bread they make.

amen, sister! :D without it, I might be insane or dead by now :blink: ...It's how I figured out what was wrong with me :D

I may give that raisin bread a try...thanks again!

Gemini Experienced

Aside from the delicious gluten-free bread my husband now bakes, the Canyon bread is the best on the market. That is my backup bread, when the baker hasn't had time to make any. Try the raisin bread, toasted, with peanut butter on it...it's to die for! :P

IrishHeart Veteran

Aside from the delicious gluten-free bread my husband now bakes, the Canyon bread is the best on the market. That is my backup bread, when the baker hasn't had time to make any. Try the raisin bread, toasted, with peanut butter on it...it's to die for! :P

Okay, after all our discussions, this seals it...we really ARE living parallel lives, ms. gemini...my husband makes delicious gluten-free bread too...

:D

Okay, you two...you haven't steered me wrong yet.. I'm convinced. I'll order some Canyon bread right now :D

ecf Rookie

Hope I've caught you before you leave. Noticed your two 12 hour travel days - ouch! Make sure you are stocked with plenty of food on those days - enough to get you through without buying anything on the road - because airports, rest stops and gas station convenience stores are just the pits when it comes to finding safe gluten-free food. Despite all the intimidating TSA restrictions, pretty much anything that isn't liquid-y (like a container full of chili) or gelatinous (like jello) is OK. I've found it's better to pack food for the plane in tupperware or clear baggies instead of foil - about half the time TSA has wanted to open up my bag and check out the food and if it's in clear packaging they won't open it up and risk cross-contaminating or spilling it.

Archived