This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Flattened Villi

Jessica N.

Jessica N. Rookie

I am trying to get my ducks in a row for my GI appt in a few weeks. (I have just switched to a new Dr.) I am curious if anyone knows what else could be a cause of flattened villi. The first test I has my transglutaminase AB, IGA was a 39 and the "normal" range is 0-19 so I was scheduled for a biopsy which showed flat villi, biopsies came back negative. The new doctor sent me for tests again and said my blood tests were slightly elevated (I don't know which levels, havent been back yet).

I am just curious about the causes of flattened villi besides celiac, and any suggestions of what types of question I should be asking the doc!

I appreciate any help!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Skylark Collaborator

I don't understand your statement "biopsy which showed flat villi, biopsies came back negative". How is flat villi negative?

The combination of transglutaminase antibodies and villous damage is the "gold standard" for diagnosing celiac. The other things that cause flat villi (giardia, radiation poisoning, tropical sprue) do not cause celiac antibodies.

Have you gone gluten-free now that you're done with the biopsy and blood tests?

Twinklestars Contributor

I would think you should be positively diagnosed as celiac with those results. Maybe if your doctor isn't willing to diagnose you (no idea why not though) get copies of all test and lab reports and keep them as your proof. And go gluten free for sure!

Roda Rising Star

With a postitive blood work and flattened villi, that is classic celiac diagnosis. Maybe they meant the biopsy was negative for other things, like h pylori and cancer.

Jessica N. Rookie

I apologize...I meant to say my ENDOSCOPY showed flat villi, the biopsy came back negative. At my follow-up I asked why I was given a packet about celiac after my procedure, and the NP stated: The Dr thought with those two things it would have been celiac. I said well flattened villi are not normal, and she said not to dwell on it and suggested an elimination diet for lactose, fructose, and eventually gluten if I wanted.

Jessica N. Rookie

I was only told biopsy negative and not told "you have celiac." I plan to go gluten-free next week to see if that helps and have transferred doctors.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I apologize...I meant to say my ENDOSCOPY showed flat villi, the biopsy came back negative. At my follow-up I asked why I was given a packet about celiac after my procedure, and the NP stated: The Dr thought with those two things it would have been celiac. I said well flattened villi are not normal, and she said not to dwell on it and suggested an elimination diet for lactose, fructose, and eventually gluten if I wanted.

False negatives on biopsies are not uncommon for a variety of reasons including human error at the lab. If you doctor could see the damage then it seems a no-brainer to me. Do be strict with the diet and I bet your feeling much better soon.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

There are a few other things that can cause villious atrophy, but Celiac Disease is the most common. Celiac symptoms and positive dietary response can also be diagnostic.

Jessica N. Rookie

Thanks for your support! I plan to start next monday so will be searching for recipes and checking out the gluten-free section in my grocery store...any suggestions?

Twinklestars Contributor

Everyone here has been advising me to stick to a simple whole foods diet that consists of rice, vegetables, fruit and meat mostly. Try to avoid processed foods. I felt very unwell for the first few days and didn't want complicated foods at all. Hope it has you feeling better soon!

Jessica N. Rookie

Everyone here has been advising me to stick to a simple whole foods diet that consists of rice, vegetables, fruit and meat mostly. Try to avoid processed foods. I felt very unwell for the first few days and didn't want complicated foods at all. Hope it has you feeling better soon!

I'm trying to get situated for the grocery store now...planning out my meals and such so I know what I can have. How are you feeling now---How many days has it been?

Twinklestars Contributor

It's been about 10 days for me now. I'm feeling good :) Well, apart from accidentally glutening myself a couple of times :rolleyes: I figure it can only get better, but yes, much happier that I'm feeling well!

Jessica N. Rookie

It's been about 10 days for me now. I'm feeling good :) Well, apart from accidentally glutening myself a couple of times :rolleyes: I figure it can only get better, but yes, much happier that I'm feeling well!

Awesome! I am trying to figure out if my allergy medications and acid reducer are gluten free!

Twinklestars Contributor

It's amazing the things gluten can be in! Before finding this forum I would never have thought of gluten in medication, or teabags for that matter! :huh: You can always speak to a pharmacist I guess or email the manufacturer to find out about meds.

Archived