bauerpratt

Using The Pots Pans And Bakeware I Have Now

Rate this topic

I am wondering is there a way to clean my pot pans silverware and plates ect so they are gluten free and I dont have to go buy new ?

It is my understanding that as long as the items are not plastic (will have small pits and grooves that could contain gluten) or wood (again, could have gluten "hiding"), that you can thoroughly clean the things you have and continue to use them. Stainless steel can be scoured, glassware and porcelain could be thoroughly scrubbed. Non-stick should be thrown out, I believe. It can get pits and damaged places too small to see could be hiding gluten.

Good luck. :)

We reaseasoned our cast iron and kept our stainless steel, glass, and glazed items. We got rid of stoneware, nonstick, cutting boards, serrated knives, anything wood, an plastic containers that held grains. We got rid of small appliances with air intake or regulary used with gluten as well. I have a post on the blog linked from my profile about going 100% gluten free that may help.

We reaseasoned our cast iron and kept our stainless steel, glass, and glazed items. We got rid of stoneware, nonstick, cutting boards, serrated knives, anything wood, an plastic containers that held grains. We got rid of small appliances with air intake or regulary used with gluten as well. I have a post on the blog linked from my profile about going 100% gluten free that may help.

Ditto here. I did get rid of everything at once but replaced it over time to reduce the monetary impact.

Yes at this time I just cant affored all new. So I guess my non sticks are a nono with no way of using them? I have a stainless one I guess will be mine and thank goodness Christmas is on its way as well as my Birthday ;/ guess we know what Mary gets lol..I am trying to male the entire house gluten free besides my families premade breads. This at the beginning is not as easy as I thought. Thank you again!!! I do appreciate it ALL more than you know!

If your non-stick cookware is in good condition and you feel that you can effectively wash it, then I would do so. Today's non-stick surfaces are far different from the early teflon pans that would scratch if you looked at them while holding a metal spoon. :o

Another option is to buy silicone liners - I have flat ones to line cookies sheets, you can also buy muffin cups. They are relatively cheap. I only recently bought my own cookies sheets (it's been almost 10 years).

You don't have to replace everything to the same level of quality right away (or ever). We got cheap new utensils, use fewer pans and bought used stainless steel, bought cheap knives... It still adds up but did soften the financial blow.

It was my understanding that as long as you washed everything with soap and water there would be no problem. All I did was wash all my iron (I have at least 15 pieces) with soap and a brush. I learned at America's Test Kitchen to season with flax oil. It creates a seal that is so good, so perment. Problem is, you have to do it more than once but not more than 6 times. I didn't bother with the oven, unside down, ect. I just put it on low on the stove and let it rip all day, oiling it every hour. Boy does it work.

We have never had a problem, I really feel for you who think you have to take it this far!