GFreeMO

Gluten, Dairy, Soy, Nut Free Pumpkin Something?

Rate this topic

Does anyone know of any Pumpkin dessert that is free from casein, gluten, soy and nuts? I was thinking of making that crustless Libby's pumpkin pie but I don't know if it will set up with rice milk. Any ideas?

Water is usually a good sub for milk. Find a recipe high in eggs. The eggs should make it hold shape.

There are milk, soy free gluten-free flours out there like King Arthur. Try a crust from that?

Does anyone know of any Pumpkin dessert that is free from casein, gluten, soy and nuts? I was thinking of making that crustless Libby's pumpkin pie but I don't know if it will set up with rice milk. Any ideas?

Last year I used coconut milk (not low-fat) in a pumpkin dessert and it worked fine. I see no reason it wouldn't work using the Libby's pumpkin pie recipe.

Jules Shepard has a lot of her recipes on her blog so you might want to do a search there. She is also dairy-free. I have her cookbook Free for All Cooking, which includes substitutes for many things.

Do you have a problem with coconut milk? Is that considered a nut? I think the slightly coconut taste would be nice in pumpkin pie.

Last year I used coconut milk (not low-fat) in a pumpkin dessert and it worked fine. I see no reason it wouldn't work using the Libby's pumpkin pie recipe.

Jules Shepard has a lot of her recipes on her blog so you might want to do a search there. She is also dairy-free. I have her cookbook Free for All Cooking, which includes substitutes for many things.

Do you have a problem with coconut milk? Is that considered a nut? I think the slightly coconut taste would be nice in pumpkin pie.

That's how I do it, coconut milk.

That's how I do it, coconut milk.

I think you're the one who suggested it to me. :)

I don't recall a coconut taste...probably because of the typical pumpkin pie spices.

I don't recall a coconut taste...probably because of the typical pumpkin pie spices.

I can't taste the coconut either. I also make fudge with coconut milk and can't taste it.

If you want to use rice milk, it will set up. I was dairy free for years and have made the Libby's with both rice and almond milks. Vanilla rice or almond are even better.

I can't taste the coconut either. I also make fudge with coconut milk and can't taste it.

Well...that's disappointing! I wanted a coconut flavor!

How about making a coconut cream pie???

Thanks everyone!! I am going to try the Libby's crustless with the rice milk AND make some baked apples incase it's a fiasco. :)

Coconut milk in a carton by So Delicious comes in different flavors....original, unsweetened, vanilla flavored, etc. so you get different "tastes". I would think that coconut milk that comes in a can would have more coconut flavor. I'm lactose intolerant, and made some blueberry ice cream recently, and altho the ice cream had an excellent taste to it, I could taste the coconut slightly more than the blueberries.

I use coconut milk from a can to make pumpkin custard when I have a friend over who is dairy and soy intolerant. Coconut milk in the cartons have a lot of additives and added sugar, so I personally wouldn't use those in cooking recipes, unless you're going to also adjust the sugar in the recipe. YMMV.