• Vitamin Deficiency
    • Nausea
    • Heartburn/GERD
    • Gas/Bloating
    • Skin Issues
    • Muscle Issues
    • Ulcers/Gastritis
    • No Symptoms

I was just curious as to what peoples top complaints were out of these choices.

I'd like to add joint pain, foggy brain, headache, stuffy nose, puffy eyes, dizziness, and sleeplessness.

And re-occurent chest/Ear infections, mouth and nose ulcers and Intussusception which is by far my worst symptom. Ugh.

My most troublesome symptom is the dizziness. The bloating and the digestive issues, the brain fog, depression, headche, and being tired leave after 3 days but if I have one grain o gluten I will be constantly dizziness for 3+ weeks and that is not fun!

My symptoms occur very rapidly: within a few seconds. This is also a mystery to my GI because you'd expect this with an allergy, but an allergy has been ruled out.

Within a few seconds my abdomen starts to swell up to very large proportions, I can go from a flat stomach to 6 months pregnant in less than a minute. This is accompanied by violent burping and gagging. This can last up to an hour in case of serious contamination. When that stage is over I get intestinal cramps, constipation and some sort of tingling sensation in my stomach that's comparable to an itch. Dependent on how much gluten I've had I can also get dizzy and disoriented in such an attack. After a severe case I can be moody, tired and have GI problems for days.

It sounds weird, but because of these symptoms I don't dare to visit restaurants. When you get ill so directly and so graphically it instantly ruins the night out. Not only for us but also for the other diners. People tend to get very worried, even up to the point of calling an ambulance.

Mine are usually mild compared to others. It starts with a headache, which turns into a migraine and then I get fatigued and brain fog along with being bloated/swollen. I don't typically have any gastro issues.

I would like to add Vomiting to my Nausea vote. Starts 1-2 hours after gluten accident and lasts for 2+ hours, depending on how much gluten I ingested. Then I sleep it off and fine next day. I do worry that the farther away I get from my diagnosis date the worse my symptoms may get. But so far, it just comes quicker, but not any new symptoms.

Mine are usually mild compared to others. It starts with a headache, which turns into a migraine and then I get fatigued and brain fog along with being bloated/swollen. I don't typically have any gastro issues.

Except for the migraine, this is mine too.

Brain fog, instant fatigue and a really bad mood were missing!

+1, as well as joint pain (right knee in particular, sometimes elsewhere).

It depends...if I just get hit with a little cross contamination then bloating and maybe a little tired. If I was to eat something like a cookie or piece of toast, then I get extremely sick within 45 minutes to an hour. I am shocked at how sick I get from just a cookie or toast and it lasts for a good 4 hours. Throwing up is only during the first hour and maybe on the toilet once or twice. But I feel like I have a bad case of the flu so I am very careful about eating when I go out. I have gone through this 3 times by accident and because of this I never feel the need to cheat!

I'd add depression, brain fog, fatigue, apathy and hair loss.

me too, plus migraine! And anxiety.

I voted because I have a lot of the GI stuff too. But the worst part for me is the migraines, ataxia and the seizures. I could deal with the stomach stuff but I HATE the neuro symptoms.

me too, plus migraine! And anxiety.

I have anxiety too. Right now I'm on Klonopin for it. Eventually I would like to ween off after being gluten free for awhile.

I have anxiety too. Right now I'm on Klonopin for it. Eventually I would like to ween off after being gluten free for awhile.

Is Klonopin the same as "colozapan" (not sure of spelling)? The reason I ask this is because my mother was on Colozapan for anxiety and she was recently diagnosed with early dementia, but it was being caused by her anxiety med. She was taken off gradually about 2 mths ago and she is back to normal again. Just wanted to give you an fyi just in case it was the same. That is a very strong medicine.

I was on Klonopin, for awhile, but the above poster is right. It turned me into a drugged out zombie. I hated it, and consider myself a drug addict because of it. I'm very bitter because of that experience, and seriously hate psychotherapeutic meds of any kind. I'm still on prozac and topamax, which off label is used for anxiety, but I'm hoping to be off both with a strict gluten free dietand supplementation.

My anxiety became very manageable gluten free. And some anxiety is natural- we celiacs have a serious, potentially fatal disease. We lead a very challenging lifestyle. Not to mention many of the other health challenges we face, plus life's normal ups and downs. I would be surprised if anxiety went *completely* away. You just don't want it to be free floating and disconnected to your circumstances.

Is Klonopin the same as "colozapan" (not sure of spelling)? The reason I ask this is because my mother was on Colozapan for anxiety and she was recently diagnosed with early dementia, but it was being caused by her anxiety med. She was taken off gradually about 2 mths ago and she is back to normal again. Just wanted to give you an fyi just in case it was the same. That is a very strong medicine.

Hello,

Yes, Clonazapam is the generic for Klonopin, and believe me, I am well aware of the strength of the medication! I have been on it for over a year now. One of the side effects of it is short term memory loss... of course they never tell you that when they prescribe it to you.... I really want to stop. I have tried in the past but even at a taper I start having paradoxial effects. I am on 1 mg. As I go gluten free and I going to begin another taper to see if gluten is the culprit of my anxiety. Do you know the dose and how long of a taper your mom was on? I have a new plan of .125 mg taper per week (which will take 2 months to get off 1 mg!).

Thank you for your concern and information.

These poll results are interesting. Please keep them coming, I'd like to see the results of more people, even if they are not on the listed poll.

I have no idea! When I was diagnosed I had no obvious symptoms at all as I found out through screening. After going strictly gluten free I was tested and my antibodies were in the negative range. My most recent test shows the same which tells me I am not ingesting any gluten. I am super careful. I am so glad I did not get sick but did have miscarriages and have fibromyalgia which are related. It is difficult, though, as it is impossible to know whether I have been glutened or not - I honestly cannot tell whether I have over the past eight months. And I am not about to try something containing gluten to find out!

I never associated some of these things to gluten. I get migraines too but never associated that with gluten. I thought it was from msg.