This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

New Guy!

deltron80

deltron80 Rookie

Hello Everyone!

I was recently diagnosed with Celiac @ age 31 and I have been gluten-free for 2 weeks now. I already feel better! I can't believe I've been sick my whole life and never knew it. I even used to think people with "celiac" were a little wacked out in the head. It turns out it was me that was wacked out in the head afterall. :D

I'm looking forward to the future now that I finally know what's "wrong" with me and I hope to learn a lot from you folks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Menic Apprentice

Welcome to the boards,

I was diagnosed at 31 as well, so I can relate.

GFinDC Veteran

Well welcome to both of you then! We are a pretty friendly bunch here and are glad to answer any questions. Nice to have you on board! :)

mushroom Proficient

Yes, gluten can do a whack job on your head, as well as the rest of the bod. Happpy gluten free future and I'm glad you're feeling better already. Hang around and let us know how you progress. We are here to help. :)

AVR1962 Collaborator

Congratulations on your diagnosis and best to your new life and improved health!

deltron80 Rookie

I'm still new to this, but it is certainly remarkable that people kind of don't fully "buy it" when you tell them. I don't get it even though I definitely was one of those people before...so odd. I can't think of any other allergy or disease that is treated so flippantly by the general public as is Celiac.

And you really get some funny looks when you mention anything about neurological symptoms! I'll need to keep my mouth shut on those and just enjoy this new anxiety-free lifestyle without bragging about it I guess. :rolleyes:

Maybe if I had taken it more seriously myself and/or not been in such denial I would've been tested and diagnosed sooner...it took my father and sister being diagnosed to wake me up to reality.

Also...just in reading the forum the past couple days it scares me a little to see so many people with multiple dietary issues beyond gluten.....yikes!

sa1937 Community Regular

Welcome, deltron! I think the problem is that unless you have celiac, it's really difficult to fully understand it. When I was first diagnosed, my friends thought "a little bit won't hurt you...so and so used to eat it occasionally". They "get it" now and will even ask if I can have something that contains fill in the blank. And then there are people who sorta go gluten-free like it's the latest and greatest fad diet.

The woulda, coulda, shudda...yeah, a lot of us wish we had been diagnosed sooner so don't beat yourself up over that. You're on your way now!

While some people do develop additional intolerances, don't automatically assume you will. Some of us did have to give up dairy products for awhile. I did but have successfully been able to add them back in. I craved cheese so badly while I didn't miss gluteny foods at all.

There's nothing that beats feeling good!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

deltron80 Rookie

Any single Celiac ladies in the greater NYC area? Now that I'm better I think it's time I start dating again. :lol:

kareng Grand Master

Any single Celiac ladies in the greater NYC area? Now that I'm better I think it's time I start dating again. :lol:

Maybe you should use a cuter picture of yourself? Maybe smile? Some clothes from this century? :D

mushroom Proficient

Maybe you should use a cuter picture of yourself? Maybe smile? Some clothes from this century? :D

:lol:

And a red sports car would be very attractive too!

Darn210 Enthusiast

:lol::lol::lol:

Well, you certainly made me go look at his av!!

deltron80 Rookie

And a red sports car would be very attractive too!

I have a red parachute how about that ;)

sa1937 Community Regular

I have a red parachute how about that ;)

...and a sense of humor, too, so that's good! :lol:

Korwyn Explorer

Dude, From looking at your avatar, I have to tell you that the full body hair coat is definitely going be an issue. And I'd really suggest you consider some lip reduction surgery. And possibly a tandem bike. With more than one gear. :lol:

IrishHeart Veteran

Welcome and yes, time for an upgrade to a posh car. However my hubs has a beard and I kind of like the look... :lol: .

As for the nuero symptoms, well, I can relate. :rolleyes: Those were both frightening and debilitating at times, and I was starting to fear for my sanity when it was pretty bad, but the good news is...THEY DISAPPEARED. :)

Do not get alarmed by what other people's various symptoms are, okay?

This is a Newbie mistake :) --because you want to feel better right away and when that takes some time, you start to panic a bit.

EVERYONE is different and healing times vary. Just because the "magic" doesn't happen right away does not necessarily mean other intolerances. I drove myself nuts with that at the beginning and all I needed was some healing time!

Sylvia is right about the dairy, though as it often just a secondary intolerance because of the celiac. Many docs (mine included) suggest you give it up the first few months to speed healing and reduce symptoms. It's your call, though.

Be patient with yourself, ask any questions you may have and just relax and begin to enjoy good health! You live in one of the greatest cities in the world ( I know, I was married there and go there frequently for FUN :) )

Best wishes, kiddo!

IH

CarolinaKip Community Regular

Hello Everyone!

I was recently diagnosed with Celiac @ age 31 and I have been gluten-free for 2 weeks now. I already feel better! I can't believe I've been sick my whole life and never knew it. I even used to think people with "celiac" were a little wacked out in the head. It turns out it was me that was wacked out in the head afterall. :D

I'm looking forward to the future now that I finally know what's "wrong" with me and I hope to learn a lot from you folks.

Welcome! You will learn alot from all the wonderful people here, I did as a newbie! I still do everyday and I love the reciepes and helpful advice.

I was DX celiac a month after my 44th birthday. Good luck on your quest for a girl!

Karen WA Newbie

Hi there, I was diagnosed with Celiac in March of this year. Since I have been gluten free I feel alot better but still adjusting.

deltron80 Rookie

Thanks everybody! I love the reassurance here..certainly not getting it from non-Celiacs! B)

Luckily my family understands since they have it also, but it's kind of disappointing that my friends aren't being more supportive so far. I guess it's unfair for me to expect them to understand immediately. For example, I can tell they don't believe me at all that I already feel better so quickly. Hopefully they will come around eventually. Anyway, I'm not always an easy person to be friends with so I should stop whining. :D

I am working on getting myself a new suit and a new (red) bicycle. Not much I can do about the whole being a monkey thing though. ;)

mushroom Proficient

I am working on getting myself a new suit and a new (red) bicycle. Not much I can do about the whole being a monkey thing though. ;)

Is it a monkey suit you would be after buying??

Yeah, sad to say, most of us do not get a lot of support from our friends. At least at the local neighborhood Christmas get-together the hostess gave me some gluten-free gingerbread men (since she had made some for her gluten free grandchildren :P ) After four years our neighbors have fully recognized that we do not eat gluten, and most don't even offer it any more, which is nice. And they do still offer us the champagne, which is even nicer. And they do "dain" as opposed to disdain, to eat my gluten-free offerings. One of them spent a few days with us at Lake Tahoe last year and proclaimed after her visit that she is not afraid of gluten free food any more :unsure:

Who would have thought that all along she was fearful of putting something gluten free in her mouth?? I bet not as fearful as we are of putting something gluten-full in our mouths :rolleyes:

electrochel Newbie

Hi Im 29 and was only Diagnosed last year for sure, I had been attending the hospital with the same symptoms and problem for 3 years before they thought to test me for Celiac Disease.

I was shocked.

I asked my own G.P to run bloods 3 years ago because i felt i was allergic or intolerant to something i was eating and he said all results came back totally clear. Do they not check for that or what....?? I was fuming, no need to say what almost for years of medical bills added up to and while i was studying for my B.A degree too.

Anyway, iv felt better and have still had bouts of not being well, i reckon it will take me awhile longer to regulate my body and get my health back to what it should be. It really does affect everything from sleep, to mood to energy levels.

Glad you are feeling better so far, be careful when you eat out or in a friends house and when you share tubs, butter, jams etc with someone else. That was hard. Cross contamination is awful for us.

Michelle

29 Ireland

deltron80 Rookie

Wow I can totally relate to having a range of issues and not being diagnosed...

I have GERD, high blood pressure, low bone density, anxiety, the list goes on and on....My GP just kept prescribing me meds to treat the symptoms w/o even considering that all this could be caused by one simple thing....kinda sad and very eye-opening.

I went gluten-free 3.5 weeks ago and the last few days I've been feeling light-headed...I've been eating fairly well I think and I've never really felt this before. I wonder if my blood pressure is returning to normal and now it's low b/c I'm still taking meds? Guess I will have to go back to my GP and dress him down a bit.

kareng Grand Master

Wow I can totally relate to having a range of issues and not being diagnosed...

I have GERD, high blood pressure, low bone density, anxiety, the list goes on and on....My GP just kept prescribing me meds to treat the symptoms w/o even considering that all this could be caused by one simple thing....kinda sad and very eye-opening.

I went gluten-free 3.5 weeks ago and the last few days I've been feeling light-headed...I've been eating fairly well I think and I've never really felt this before. I wonder if my blood pressure is returning to normal and now it's low b/c I'm still taking meds? Guess I will have to go back to my GP and dress him down a bit.

Once you start absorbing food better, you absorb medications better. You should see if you need a lower dose of BP meds.

psawyer Proficient

Once you start absorbing food better, you absorb medications better. You should see if you need a lower dose of BP meds.

True, dat!

IrishHeart Veteran

Yes,sir!

Some of us take NO meds/prescription vitamin supplementation anymore because our absorption significantly improved and those issues we had been "treating" have resolved. :)

You are wise to follow up with the doc--- as the last thing you want is to be overly-medicated.

Here's what's OUT of my prescription line-up!!--- 4 GERD and "IBS" <_< medicines, thyroid medicine, prescription B-12 and Folic Acid for anemia, xanax for that bizarre anxiety that developed from gluten, 3 or 4 different sleep meds, including amitryptilline--which was a last resort because I was awake most nights for well over a year. :blink:

There is much to be said for HEALING the gut!! ;)

Happy & Healthy New Year to you, New Guy!

Cheers,

IH

deltron80 Rookie

best. restaurant. ever.

Open Original Shared Link

Archived