Nen

Eyes Staring Off

Rate this topic

I tend to call this "zoning out", and it happens to me many times a day. Its where I'll be looking at something, then my eyes keep staring at it till it goes out of focus and I kind of "zone out" for a few seconds. I have to give my head a quick shake to snap back to and make my eyes focus again. I do not lose consciousness or anything and know whats happening around me. This happens to me every day, no matter how much sleep I get. Anyone else get this and is it related to gluten?

I tend to call this "zoning out", and it happens to me many times a day. Its where I'll be looking at something, then my eyes keep staring at it till it goes out of focus and I kind of "zone out" for a few seconds. I have to give my head a quick shake to snap back to and make my eyes focus again. I do not lose consciousness or anything and know whats happening around me. This happens to me every day, no matter how much sleep I get. Anyone else get this and is it related to gluten?

im sure it could be only related to gluten, as gluten can affect u neurologically.

my own experience is that is ended up being a symptom of Graves'. it got worse on antidepressants strangely, and it got better with my thyroid meds (i have both Hypo & Hyper). **maybe you should get a full thyroid panel and the 3 antibodies tested if you can get your doc to agree** thyroid disease is so common with gluten intolerance and Celiac.

I have been thyroid tested recently, and it came back fine. I've also had it tested 2 other times a few years apart and those times it was good too.

I get this occasionally too, and thought it might be caused by blood glucose level?

my 3 yr old does it, we have to poke her other her out of it

Just to be on the safe side you need to make sure she is not having petit mal seizures. Do bring this up with her ped. If she is celiac that can cause seizure activity so be sure she isn't being CC'd.

Yeah! This is one of my definite-signs-of-glutening symptoms.

My son did that from age 7 to 15 when he went gluten free and it went away. Teachers called it attention deficit disorder, or daydreaming. I knew it wasn't good, but could not figure out what caused it or what to do about it. I would also do the same thing. I knew mine seemed to be spacing out in a depressive sort of way. All of it was related to gluten. It's thankfully gone for both of us now.

When I was very ill pre-DX, I did this quite often and it was very disturbing.

I felt like I was doped up or lost in space. I felt like I "lost time".

It happened once when I was driving home and I actually slapped my own face a few times on the ride home to keep myself alert. (I was terrified to drive after that--for 2 years until I went gluten-free and it cleared out).

I am not kidding.

When I got home and tearfully told hubs about it, he looked as stumped as I was. I am glad he did not think me mad.

But that was just one of MANY bizarre neuro symptoms I developed that I call GLUTEN HEAD. :blink:

Yes, before I went off gluten I would do this.

Yeah, mine was often referred to as possible ADD too. Also people guessed it to some minor possible autism (along with some other symptoms).But really, just a symptom of gluten

My son did that from age 7 to 15 when he went gluten free and it went away. Teachers called it attention deficit disorder, or daydreaming. I knew it wasn't good, but could not figure out what caused it or what to do about it. I would also do the same thing. I knew mine seemed to be spacing out in a depressive sort of way. All of it was related to gluten. It's thankfully gone for both of us now.

this reminds me of the Mystery Diagnosis with the little boy who had Celiac- the clip is on youtube somewhere- and the little boy would stare off into space and make weird clicking sounds with his mouth- they thought he had autism, but then discovered the Celiac- the mom had Celiac, but the docs never explained to her that it could be passed down genetically.