This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Doctor Admitted He Was Wrong

elonwy

elonwy Enthusiast

I went to the GI today because he had requested I come in for a follow-up. I figured I would tell him a thing or two, and that would be it. He had different plans.

He said he was wrong. He said he was sorry that he made me wait while he checked other stuff, but that he wanted to be sure ( not what he said b4). He said he wanted to confirm my diagnosis of Celiac, see how I was doing and send me to nutritionist. It was amazing. I have no idea what happened, but he totally did an about face. I'm going to the nutritionist on Tuesday, more cause I want to make sure I'm not missing anything in my diet than I need help with gluten-free. I figure I get more of that here than I'll ever get from a doctor.

So they can change. Who knew.

Elonwy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mstrain Rookie
:o WOW!!!
Guest nini

And pigs really flew!!! That's great!

Now I wish my daughter's GI doc would admit he screwed up.

musikate Apprentice

Man! Your post gave me new hope. Maybe my doctor, the renowned chief of GI at Temple U, will own up to his error eventually. Maybe then cows will join those pigs in the sky!

jenvan Collaborator

that's great! hopefully its an incoming trend :)

skbird Contributor

WOW!!!

Stephanie

• 2 weeks later...
ms-sillyak-screwed Enthusiast

elonwy -- I applaud you! THANX!

One more down, a world full of doc's to go... ;)

I'm back doc shopping again.

I got my food allergy test back a few days ago. I'm all excited.

But let me back up, the doc treats environmentally sick people. I'm a diva, in a big way glamour-puss, you know, make-up the long big hair, you know it... Well, either my deodorant, hairspray and/or make up products give off a fragrance and I'm not toxic to those patients. I won't go barefaced, wet hair and peeeU no deodorant....Although I believe he is a wonderful doc and is doing a lot of good in heath care.

I'll keep looking South East Florida for a gastro doc that understands Celiac and toxic food.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest DanceswithWolves

Maybe I should go to that doctor instead of mine!

• 1 month later...
Ursa Major Collaborator

Wow, following your links, I am afraid I am not just gluten, but lectin intolerant! I have been tested to be intolerant to the nightshade family. I am improving on the gluten free diet. But I realize that beans give me bowel problems (more than just gas), peanuts make me feel all yucky, and so do eggs. Darn! But if it will make me well again (which I haven't been since before I was three), I'll try avoiding all the high lectin foods. That will be awfully, hard, what will I eat? :(

Oh well, I hate rice crackers anyway, I don't really like rice in any form, I've been avoiding milk for 20 years, I've been avoiding the nightshade family for more than two years, I guess I'll be able to do this, too. And I'll hopefully be able to say good-bye to fibromyalgia, bowel problems, stomach aches and migraines! It will be worth it (giving myself a pep-talk).

Ursula

CeliacMe Rookie

MS SILLYAK SCREWED:

I AM IN THE STUART AREA. I WAS DIAGNOSED BY A GP VIA BLOOD TEST AFTER GOING TO VARIOUS DOCTORS. THE PROBLEM IS (FROM A BUSINESS STANDPOINT) THAT THE DOCTORS CAN ONLY SPENT 15-20 MINUTES WITH EACH PATIENT IN ORDER TO MAKE MONEY. YOU ARE JUST A NUMBER TO THEM. NOT THIS DOCTOR, SHE ALLOTTS 30 MINUTES AND IF YOU NEED MORE THEN YOU GET MORE. SHE LISTENED TO ME AND SPENT THE TIME THAT WAS NEEDED IN ORDER TO RUN THE RIGHT TEST. SHE WAS ALSO FAMILIAR WITH CELIAC. I AM WORRIED ABOUT COLON CANCER TOO, MY COLON ON THE COLONOSCOPY WAS DAMAGED, IT LOOKED LIKE SOMEONE WITH ULCERATIVE COLITIS.

skbird Contributor

<totally off-topic>

Hey Ms Sillyak -

I hadn't read this thread again for a while... I"m very sorry to read about your aunt. My heart goes out to you.

I have read before about lectins and keep trying to decide what to think about those. Dairy, which is so suspect for so many, doesn't ever seem to be my problem. I always wonder if I am deluding myself on this one. But I have gone off it for a month before (twice now) and still had plenty of problems, gone back on it and actually felt a little better. I don't know what to think abotu that. I don't have tested casein problems (according to Enterolab) and don't believe I am lactose intolerant.

I read on your blog about your allergy test results - where did you get those done? I have considered getting tested for confirmation of aspergillus but know enough from my reaction that it's just not good for me. I wonder about iodine also. I got hives from Betadine so people assume it's an iodine thing, but Betadine has citric acid in it, which is made from aspergillus.

Anyway, I hope you don't end up on a feeding tube either. At least you can speak up for yourself at this point. That is something your aunt couldn't do. You are strong and very couragious, in my opinion.

I hope you find health and foods you can eat that make you happy. It's hard, I know!

Stephanie

• 1 month later...
darlindeb25 Collaborator

My sister finally figured out she had celiacs on her own. She went to her doctor and told him she wanted a scope done and testing for celiacs. He says, "You dont have it, but we will do the testing to be sure." That doctor appologized to her over and over. He was shocked to see the damage that had been done to her villi and he admitted that he had been very sure she was wrong. At that time my sister was getting iv transfusions of iron for 3 hours, once a week and they had told her that she would have to do that once a month probably for the rest of her life--she never had one again once she went gluten free. That was 4 1/2 yrs ago--she went gluten-free in March that year and i went gluten free in July--our father has now been gluten free for 1 year. Deb

kevsmom Contributor
I went to the GI today because he had requested I come in for a follow-up. I figured I would tell him a thing or two, and that would be it. He had different plans.

He said he was wrong. He said he was sorry that he made me wait while he checked other stuff, but that he wanted to be sure ( not what he said b4). He said he wanted to confirm my diagnosis of Celiac, see how I was doing and send me to nutritionist. It was amazing. I have no idea what happened, but he totally did an about face. I'm going to the nutritionist on Tuesday, more cause I want to make sure I'm not missing anything in my diet than I need help with gluten-free. I figure I get more of that here than I'll ever get from a doctor.

So they can change. Who knew.

Elonwy

I also had a doctor who admitted he was wrong. I was suffering from blood related problems and was seeing a hematologist as well as the GI. I had bruises all over my body, I was very anemic and my blood would not clot very quickly.

I suffered a bloody nose that would not stop and ended up admitted to the hospital and received 6 units of blood and 2 units of plasma. The GI and the Hematologist consulted and came up with "I quess the blood problems and the celiac could be related".

I found an article that was published in the Israeli Journal of Medicine that cited a case that presented itself very similar to mine, except that the Celiac was diagnosed through the blood problems. I e-mailed the artical to the GI and the hematologist. The hematologist actually called me and thanked me for sending it to him.

The doctor really shouldn't charge me for his visits...I made my own diagnosis

Cindy

RiceGuy Collaborator
I'm a diva, in a big way glamour-puss, you know, make-up the long big hair, you know it...

I hope you have all gluten-free shampoo, soap, cosmetics and all that. Otherwise you'll be getting glutened all the time.

kevsmom Contributor
I hope you have all gluten-free shampoo, soap, cosmetics and all that. Otherwise you'll be getting glutened all the time.

Thanks for the reminder. I was looking at hand cream the other day, and realized that it had OATMEAL in it. :o Being a guy, you probably don't know this, but oatmeal is supposed to be good for dry skin...not this dry skin!

Archived