Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dani nero

Spouses Who Suck

Then there's Dead Bread Head for those who would "die without bread".

I wouldn't die without bread, but I just might kill for a slice of bread I could eat! :lol:

Then there's Dead Bread Head for those who would "die without bread".

I wouldn't die without bread, but I just might kill for a slice of bread I could eat! :lol:

I wouldn't kill for a slice of bread - but OMG I pity the fool who eats a beignet in front of me. Y'all will read it in the papers - " Beignet Killer Stalks Jackson Square".

Does it have no corn or xanthan gum? Or potato flour/starch? If so, yes please!

Oh yeah, and is it easy for a non-cook to make?

Does it have no corn or xanthan gum? Or potato flour/starch? If so, yes please!

I can help you get around the corn and potato starch, (plenty of subs for those)

but honey, there is NO gluten-free bread recipe I know of that does not have xanthan or guar gum, except a good Paleo bread recipe with almond and coconut flours.

Do you want that? :)

just wondering...how do you know you have a problem specifically with X-gum???

I am SO sensitive to corn, and xanthan gum is grown on corn. I can't have almonds either so the almond flour is out. I've pretty much accepted that I'll never have bread again. :(

I am SO sensitive to corn, and xanthan gum is grown on corn. I can't have almonds either so the almond flour is out. I've pretty much accepted that I'll never have bread again. :(

If you are to find hope, it's Gluten Free Girl and the Chef. She used to use xanthan but now doesn't...and she's very liberal with "substitute at will".

So, visit her site and peruse and see what you can come up with.

http://glutenfreegirl.com/category/recipes/breads/

And on not using xanthan http://glutenfreegirl.com/gluten-free-whole-grain-muffins/

Thanks PricklyPear. I just went over and looked, and it's not looking good. Most have SOMETHING I can't have.

But I was thinking, maybe I could do a club soda bread. Using rice flour. Um, maybe not. It'd probably taste worse than EnerG rice bread. So far, white rice is the only grain I can tolerate. Maybe I'd better just leave well enough alone.

Off topic: I always wanted to get a cat and name him Well Enough. Then I could tell my dog to leave Well Enough alone. (I don't know what's wrong with me today! The bad jokes keep popping into my head! Is that a Celiac symptom?)

Her recipes are very adaptive, but it may be impossible if someone cannot do buttermilk --or a combo gluten-free flour mix (which may involve almond flour) as you need something to sub for the thickening agent that is x-gum.

You can do without corn starch or potato starch, but then it gets tough.

Hopefully, Bartful can wade through and see what works for her. :)

and apologies to Dani...did not mean to go off topic, honey!!!

Off topic: I always wanted to get a cat and name him Well Enough. Then I could tell my dog to leave Well Enough alone. (I don't know what's wrong with me today! The bad jokes keep popping into my head! Is that a Celiac symptom?)

:lol: good one!

No, sweetie--a funny thought--is a "wellness " symptom!! :)

Oh yeah, Dani, I am sorry too. My head just isn't on straight today. :unsure:

Thanks PricklyPear. I just went over and looked, and it's not looking good. Most have SOMETHING I can't have.

But I was thinking, maybe I could do a club soda bread. Using rice flour. Um, maybe not. It'd probably taste worse than EnerG rice bread. So far, white rice is the only grain I can tolerate. Maybe I'd better just leave well enough alone.

Can you have

1 cup cooked white rice

3 eggs

1/2 c any gluten-free flour or blend

1 tsp baking powder

Cooking oil or lard

???????

Can you have

1 cup cooked white rice

3 eggs

1/2 c any gluten-free flour or blend

1 tsp baking powder

Cooking oil or lard

???????

I think so. The gluten-free flour will have to be rice flour, the baking powder will have to be home made. (Baking powder has corn starch so I make it with baking soda and cream of tartar), and I haven't tried it yet, but I have some coconut oil. Could I use butter if that doesn't work for me?

I think so. The gluten-free flour will have to be rice flour, the baking powder will have to be home made. (Baking powder has corn starch so I make it with baking soda and cream of tartar), and I haven't tried it yet, but I have some coconut oil. Could I use butter if that doesn't work for me?

Use whatever you need to for this. You're going to make rice fritters or calas....

Mash the rice. Mix all ingredients together to form a thin batter and drop by a spoonfull into hot oil/ coconut oil. Fry til golden brown, drain on a towel, and dust with sugar ( or don't, but i recommend it).

I know it isn't bread, but it is bread-like and yummy and it may give you hope.

Also, you can do coconut????? http://www.nourishingdays.com/2009/02/coconut-flour-bread/

Oh THANK YOU!! I'm not sure if I can do coconut yet. I don't really like coconut, but I bought some of the oil because I haven't been able to use other oils. But I am going to try these and I'll let you know. I keep losing wieght in spite of all the ice cream I eat. Maybe these will help me to stop losing and stay where I am. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!

Oh THANK YOU!! I'm not sure if I can do coconut yet. I don't really like coconut, but I bought some of the oil because I haven't been able to use other oils. But I am going to try these and I'll let you know. I keep losing wieght in spite of all the ice cream I eat. Maybe these will help me to stop losing and stay where I am. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!

You're welcome, I hope it helps.

You don't have a salicylate problem, do you? That's the only coconut warning I know of.

And you can use butter for frying. Ghee would be better, though. Coconut oil should work.

And coconut flour isn't anything like coconut. Strange but true. I don't like coconut and I'm fine with the oil and flour.

I'm not sure about sals. I thought so at first because I react VERY badly to asperin. But asperin has WAY more sals than foods. I can't eat even organic blueberries, but I do fine with broccoli. I eat lots of it almost every day.

I know I'm getting better though because a couple of months ago I couldn't eat non-organic sweet potatoes, and now I can. I THINK my system is finally starting to settle down.

I'm not sure about sals. I thought so at first because I react VERY badly to asperin. But asperin has WAY more sals than foods. I can't eat even organic blueberries, but I do fine with broccoli. I eat lots of it almost every day.

I know I'm getting better though because a couple of months ago I couldn't eat non-organic sweet potatoes, and now I can. I THINK my system is finally starting to settle down.

Well, I'd make the fritters with what you know is safe and then try the coconut. Just my 0.02.

I'm going to make the fritters tomorrow night. The healthfood store is closed so I can't get the rice flour until tomorrow. But THEN...breadlike substance! YEE-HA!

I've been thinking of getting a waffle lron and making waffles to use as bread. My gluten-free pancakes always came out much better than the gluten-free bread. And it seems like waffles would be quicker to make.

Bartfull- a truly effective replacement for xanthan gum is chia seeds. Whirl a tablespoon in a blender to replace the xanthan gum in a recipe for a load of bread. You would use less in a smaller recipe. I think it works better if you soak it with an equivalent amount of water first to make a gel, but am not sure, more internets research necessary.... :D