This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Theraflu Powder Has Gluten

Marie1976

Marie1976 Enthusiast

why is it so hard to find current info on meds? grrrr. just thought i'd share something from the theraflu site. under the powders section it had a faq and one said does this have gluten?

"Yes. This product contains a trace amount of gluten (<10.0 parts per million)."

Of course their other products did not even have a faq so i could check if those were safe.

I guess I'll be coughing all night again for the third night in a row. :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

why is it so hard to find current info on meds? grrrr. just thought i'd share something from the theraflu site. under the powders section it had a faq and one said does this have gluten?

"Yes. This product contains a trace amount of gluten (<10.0 parts per million)."

Of course their other products did not even have a faq so i could check if those were safe.

I guess I'll be coughing all night again for the third night in a row. :(

I sent you this link on your other thread:

Check here: (and scroll down)

Open Original Shared Link

Hope you feel better soon. :)

Marie1976 Enthusiast

I sent you this link on your other thread:

Check here: (and scroll down)

Open Original Shared Link

Hope you feel better soon. :)

Thanks!

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

Thanks!

Have you tried honey lemon tea? It's been proven in some small studies that honey is more effective than any cough medicine. You could just have a spoonful of honey. I also like cherry bark extract/tincture, works really good on me, every time. I have to usually get the kid one because the regular one has grain alcohol. Tastes good, too!

Marie1976 Enthusiast

Have you tried honey lemon tea? It's been proven in some small studies that honey is more effective than any cough medicine. You could just have a spoonful of honey. I also like cherry bark extract/tincture, works really good on me, every time. I have to usually get the kid one because the regular one has grain alcohol. Tastes good, too!

Thanks for the suggestions! Hubby found me a cough syrup made by Vicks called Nature Fusion, at Rite Aid. It actually says gluten free on the label. Amazing! Just took some so we'll see if it does its job...

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

Thanks for the suggestions! Hubby found me a cough syrup made by Vicks called Nature Fusion, at Rite Aid. It actually says gluten free on the label. Amazing! Just took some so we'll see if it does its job...

How ya doin, Marie?

• 6 months later...
lucky97 Explorer

I guess I'll be coughing all night again for the third night in a row. sad.gif

But the new proposed standard is <20 ppm. So would one not consider Theraflu safe then???

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Adalaide Mentor
But the new proposed standard is <20 ppm. So would one not consider Theraflu safe then???

Some people are more sensitive than that. I live by the rule that no amount of gluten is ever safe. I will not knowingly ingest gluten, on purpose, no matter how small the amount. I have gotten extremely sick from "gluten free" products that are below 20 ppm in the past so clearly I am someone who can not live by that proposed standard. It isn't simply because I got sick though, it made me rethink the whole philosophy of it. Because of how potentially dangerous it is to us, no amount of gluten is ever okay, period. Why the hell should we knowingly risk a product with gluten when we are already sick when there are perfectly good products on the market that are gluten free?

notkuroda Apprentice

Some people are more sensitive than that. I live by the rule that no amount of gluten is ever safe. I will not knowingly ingest gluten, on purpose, no matter how small the amount. I have gotten extremely sick from "gluten free" products that are below 20 ppm in the past so clearly I am someone who can not live by that proposed standard. It isn't simply because I got sick though, it made me rethink the whole philosophy of it. Because of how potentially dangerous it is to us, no amount of gluten is ever okay, period. Why the hell should we knowingly risk a product with gluten when we are already sick when there are perfectly good products on the market that are gluten free?

this makes me furious. I believe the standard in Ireland, where Celiac is RAMPANT, is 2 ppm. What the FDA is proposing is really not acceptable

psawyer Proficient

I believe the standard in Ireland, where Celiac is RAMPANT, is 2 ppm.

Ireland follows European rules. "Gluten-free" is <20 ppm. Open Original Shared Link

notkuroda Apprentice

Ireland follows European rules. "Gluten-free" is <20 ppm. Open Original Shared Link

learn something new every day, thanks!

lucky97 Explorer

But if something is labeled "gluten free," and there are things labeled gluten free here in the the USA (I will assume <200 ppm) and those are the preferred products, how will you know? That just means they're <200 ppm. Unless you are referring to a cave man/whole food diet perhaps.

lucky97 Explorer

But if something is labeled "gluten free," and there are things labeled gluten free here in the the USA (I will assume <200 ppm) AND those are the preferred products, how will you know? That just means they're <200 ppm. Unless you are referring to a cave man/whole food diet perhaps.

I state this is reference to the earlier post that notes Theraflu was stated to have <10.0 ppm of gluten, well below the current USA standard for "gluten free" which is what we're eating. Does anyone see what I'm trying to say? It would seem to reason Theraflu is as or "more gluten free" than the standard gluten free products we're eating now. Thus safe for Celiacs.

The question is: Do celiacs use Theraflu?

psawyer Proficient

I state this is reference to the earlier post that notes Theraflu was stated to have <10.0 ppm of gluten, well below the current USA standard for "gluten free" which is what we're eating. Does anyone see what I'm trying to say? It would seem to reason Theraflu is as or "more gluten free" than the standard gluten free products we're eating now. Thus safe for Celiacs.

The question is: Do celiacs use Theraflu?

I do not personally use the product, for lack of need, but if I had a need I would probably use it.

Archived