This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Discouraged About My Diet - Need Support Please

Sunny1008

Sunny1008 Rookie

Hi everyone,

I think I know why I am not feeling as well as I expected to by now.

1. I ate some chips ALL last week that I just learned are not gluten-free. I thought I was doing so well avoiding gluten, and now I am back at square one :(

2. I haven't been eating as many WHOLE foods as I should be. I am having a really hard time changing my eating habits from "processed" to "whole". I have always had a sweet tooth, and I have always eaten a lot of processed foods. I am having a hard time changing that habit. But I bet if I did, my gut would start healing a lot faster.

I am really discouraged because I am just having a really hard time with this diet, and I feel like I am back at square one.

Thanks for listening,

Sunny

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Takala Enthusiast

If you allow yourself to fill up enough on the real foods, you will have less cravings for the processed ones. If you are eating lots of chips, try instead putting a potato in the microwave to bake it (few minutes, big results) and then loading it with everything you can, as a snack, such as salt, olive oil, yogurt, shredded cheese, etc. The potato, loaded, will still have less calories and more bulk and fiber than chips, and be more satisfying after you eat it.

I also take and boil 6 to 8 hard-boiled eggs at a time, to keep in the refrigerator, for breakfast, snacks, and for making quick potato salads. My husband frequently bakes extra potatoes, because he knows that they can turn into small batches of potato salad very quickly, if there are potatoes and eggs already cooked and waiting in the refrigerator. I put carrots and sweet red bell peppers in that a lot of times, instead of celery. So now there is a bit of sweet taste naturally.

You also need to shop for, and keep in the house, all the stuff that is good for you to eat as snacks. People eat what is convenient to them.

If I do not take gluten free vitamin and mineral supplements, and am eating enough fats and vegetables besides fruit, I am wanting a lot of junk food. The other thing to be careful of is that you drink enough WATER, especially in the summer time when it is hot.

p.s. we all have been there, eating something we shouldn't have, and discovering it wasn't safe after all when we reacted to it. throw it out and get a natural replacement.

Sunny1008 Rookie

If you allow yourself to fill up enough on the real foods, you will have less cravings for the processed ones. If you are eating lots of chips, try instead putting a potato in the microwave to bake it (few minutes, big results) and then loading it with everything you can, as a snack, such as salt, olive oil, yogurt, shredded cheese, etc. The potato, loaded, will still have less calories and more bulk and fiber than chips, and be more satisfying after you eat it.

I also take and boil 6 to 8 hard-boiled eggs at a time, to keep in the refrigerator, for breakfast, snacks, and for making quick potato salads. My husband frequently bakes extra potatoes, because he knows that they can turn into small batches of potato salad very quickly, if there are potatoes and eggs already cooked and waiting in the refrigerator. I put carrots and sweet red bell peppers in that a lot of times, instead of celery. So now there is a bit of sweet taste naturally.

You also need to shop for, and keep in the house, all the stuff that is good for you to eat as snacks. People eat what is convenient to them.

If I do not take gluten free vitamin and mineral supplements, and am eating enough fats and vegetables besides fruit, I am wanting a lot of junk food. The other thing to be careful of is that you drink enough WATER, especially in the summer time when it is hot.

p.s. we all have been there, eating something we shouldn't have, and discovering it wasn't safe after all when we reacted to it. throw it out and get a natural replacement.

Takala,

Thanks for the advice. That is a good idea about the baked potatoes. I think you hit the nail on the head - the key is not buying all that processed junk in the first place and stocking up on good, whole foods! Easier said than done, but I am going to have to try. ;)

Kamma Explorer

Apple slices with peanut butter on top deliver the crunch and a bit of the saltiness of chips.

I keep a bag of broccoli in my fridge for quick snacks. Also raw pumpkin seeds, carrots, celery sticks, blueberries and strawberries.

I agree with Takala. The more you eat the whole foods, the more your body wants less of the processed stuff. At first, you have to be really mindful about what you are reaching for but as you get more into the habit, it will be easier. Plus, your body starts to crave the whole foods.

Oh yes, red bell peppers are awesome for just snacking on.

Hope it goes well and if you need more encouragement, keep us posted!

SmnthMllrX Newbie

When I first quit eating gluten I felt the same way. I craved food all the time and after about a three months of not eating gluten I was feeling great, but I still craved bread like it was nobodys business and one day I caved and I went and got myself a huge sub to eat. Needless to say I got very sick and regretted it almost immediately after I consumed it. I felt awful, like an addict who had just relapsed. Every time after that when I had a craving for anything with gluten in it I just told myself that it sucked and I couldn't have it because of how physically ill it made me. Letting myself feel bad for myself made it easier for me to get through all the cravings. I've been gluten-free for four years now and occasionally I get cravings still but I just go find something that I like that's similar to what I'm craving and that I can eat without being ill.

You're still new to this and I promise it gets easier. It's ok to feel down about it every once in awhile. It's hard to completely change what you're allowed to eat very suddenly when what you're not allowed to eat and is delicious and known is still all around you. You'll find a way to cope and I wish you luck with it.

MitziG Enthusiast

It takes some time to get used to a completely new way of eating. I think most of us eventually reached that point where we just about gave up eating because we were relying on a few gluten-free processed foods. (You can only eat Cheetos and Hershey Bars so many days in a row!)

Eventually it sinks in that this is your LIFE now...not a temporary thing, and so you need to make a change and learn to cook. It was a bit traumatic for me, I admit. But I survived, and you will too. Start small and simple, as recommended. Baked potatoes, hardboiled eggs... the more your tastebuds become accustomed to whole foods, and the more you get away from the habit of easy convenience junk food, you really will develop new tastes. You will likely be pleasantly surprised, as many of us were, to find out there is a whole world full of delicious food that doesn't come in a package!

Sunny1008 Rookie

Hi everyone,

Thanks all for the support! I appreciate it. I am just now realizing that I am going to have to learn how to cook so that I don't rely on packaged stuff all the time. The thought of cooking is daunting to me LOL.

But I am still having multiple food intolerances, which I never had before getting sick. Is this common? Sometimes I wonder if there is something else going on besides gluten intolerance...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

nvsmom Community Regular

Tosca Reno's Eat Clean Diet is a good book for advice on how to prepare and pack healthy food so you don't slip back to bad habits. It's not a gluten-free book, but it is REALLY low on grains and has lots of healthy whole food ideas.

I hope your other food intolerances calm down once your body heals.

love2travel Mentor

Crave chips? You can easily make your own with no added fat on a microwave thinger called a Chipster. You can season as you wish. I bought a thing bigger than a Chipster and it's actually quite nice. Usually I am unimpressed with such gadgets but this thing is very cool. My favourite flavours are sour cream and chive/salt and vinegar.

Hope you soon have better days! :)

IrishHeart Veteran

Sunny,

You have been gluten free for 3 weeks or so, right?

Hon, do not expect a "quick fix".

NO ONE --I repeat NO ONE !----I know feels great in such a short time.

You have to be patient. :)

Sorry, but this is the truth.

Stay the course and eat plain, whole foods. Dump dairy at first.

Hang in there!

squirmingitch Veteran

Sunny, this is soooo fast & easy!

Peel an apple & cut it up into a microwavable bowl. Add just a touch of water. Sprinkle the top with dark brown sugar & cinnamon & drizzle with safflower oil or oil of your choice. Nuke it for about 1 minute. YUM! And when you can tolerate dairy then you can pour some milk in it. Tastes like baked apples but didn't take an hour in the oven.

You can do the same with pears.

Sunny1008 Rookie

Sunny,

You have been gluten free for 3 weeks or so, right?

Hon, do not expect a "quick fix".

NO ONE --I repeat NO ONE !----I know feels great in such a short time.

You have to be patient. :)

Sorry, but this is the truth.

Stay the course and eat plain, whole foods. Dump dairy at first.

Hang in there!

Thanks IrishHeart! I am hanging in there and trying to be patient. I just never knew how much damage gluten could cause! Many people (not on this site) said I should be feeling better after a month on the gluten-free diet, but obviously, that's not the case for all of us!

Sunny

squirmingitch Veteran

And for a whole month I thought I was eating gluten free when I began the diet. Then at the end of Nov. my hubs said, "Hey, this says it has wheat in it". Grrrrrrrrrrrr, one thing in the kitchen cabinet I thought I had checked but obviously hadn't! So, my first month totally down the drain. Start at day one again. Boy, was I ever depressed!

We all do it in the beginning.

Lighten up on yourself. You'll get there. I did.smile.gif

IrishHeart Veteran

Thanks IrishHeart! I am hanging in there and trying to be patient. I just never knew how much damage gluten could cause! Many people (not on this site) said I should be feeling better after a month on the gluten-free diet, but obviously, that's not the case for all of us!

Sunny

Sweetie,

The "norm" is 6 months to a year for recovery.

As for cooking, what did you eat BEFORE the DX?

Meat, potatoes, veggies, rice, fruits, nuts, eggs, beans, stews, soups, right?

You can still Eat THOSE. :)

In place of bread or pasta, choose ONE Certified gluten-free product.

Maybe Canyon Bakehouse or Rudy's bread and Tinkyada Pasta or BiAglut corn Pasta.

Avoid dairy. Try So Delicious Coconut Milk.

Hope this helps.

IH

Sunny1008 Rookie

Sweetie,

The "norm" is 6 months to a year for recovery.

As for cooking, what did you eat BEFORE the DX?

Meat, potatoes, veggies, rice, fruits, nuts, eggs, beans, stews, soups, right?

You can still Eat THOSE. :)

In place of bread or pasta, choose ONE Certified gluten-free product.

Maybe Canyon Bakehouse or Rudy's bread and Tinkyada Pasta or BiAglut corn Pasta.

Avoid dairy. Try So Delicious Coconut Milk.

Hope this helps.

IH

IrishHeart,

Thank you for all the info and advice. I would really be lost without this site. I am sticking to those foods you mentioned - meat, fish, veggies, potatoes, fruit, etc...and trying to be patient! ;)

Sunny

IrishHeart Veteran

IrishHeart,

Thank you for all the info and advice. I would really be lost without this site. I am sticking to those foods you mentioned - meat, fish, veggies, potatoes, fruit, etc...and trying to be patient! ;)

Sunny

I know it is not easy when you feel so lousy, believe me!

Hang in there, kiddo ;)

Archived