This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How Long Should I Be Eating Gluten Before Endoscopy ?

MoMof2Boyz

MoMof2Boyz Enthusiast

Hi eveyone, I am having an endoscopy done to check for Barrett's esophagus and I thought I'd go ahead and ask for a celiac biopsy at the same time...get it all done in one shot!

I have been eating gluten for lunch and dinners and snacks for the past few months (I don't remember exactly maybe 2-3 months) but still eat some gluten free foods..mainly at breakfast

should I go ahead and have the biopsy done or have I not been eating enough gluten for very long. my appt. is Oct. 25

for the record I've had a negative blood test but I have Hashimoto's(autoimmune disorder)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

user853 Apprentice

I think you will be fine. I was gluten-free for almost 5 months, then went back on gluten (only 1 serving a day) for 2 months before my endoscopy, which showed mild celiac.

bbuster Explorer

I think you will be fine. I was gluten-free for almost 5 months, then went back on gluten (only 1 serving a day) for 2 months before my endoscopy, which showed mild celiac.

Agree. This was long ago, but I think our endo Dr. said the equivalent of a slice of bread a day for 4-5 weeks was enough. This was for my son and he was confirmed positive by both bloodwork and endoscopy.

GottaSki Mentor

You will be ready. Most Celiac Centers recommend 6 weeks for challenge. The University of Chicago recommends 12 weeks. Sounds like you'll be at 12 weeks by the time of your endo on the 25th.

Also, you don't need to ingest gluten at every meal. One slice of gluten containing bread per day is plenty.

Good Luck! Make sure your GI takes at least 6 samples for celiac biopsy - not all gastroenterologist are familiar with correct celiac biopsy procedure - sad, but true.

MoMof2Boyz Enthusiast

thanks everyone!

MoMof2Boyz Enthusiast

You will be ready. Most Celiac Centers recommend 6 weeks for challenge. The University of Chicago recommends 12 weeks. Sounds like you'll be at 12 weeks by the time of your endo on the 25th.

Also, you don't need to ingest gluten at every meal. One slice of gluten containing bread per day is plenty.

Good Luck! Make sure your GI takes at least 6 samples for celiac biopsy - not all gastroenterologist are familiar with correct celiac biopsy procedure - sad, but true.

How can I get the GI to take 6 samples?? I called today and requested 6 samples and the nurse told me no, they only take 2,...and when doing the EGD, the GI will be able to see the damage.

jerseyangel Proficient

How can I get the GI to take 6 samples?? I called today and requested 6 samples and the nurse told me no, they only take 2,...and when doing the EGD, the GI will be able to see the damage.

Not true--they can't always see the damage. They need to view the samples (the more, the better--8-10 is ideal) under a microscope to see changes/damage to the villi even if they see something during the endo.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GottaSki Mentor

"Mushroom" provided this link to a paper regarding biopsies specifically for Celiac Disease. It is the clearest explanation I've seen to date:

Open Original Shared Link

Take a look and show it to your doctor. Unfortunately many GIs are not familiar with the best protocols for diagnosing Celaic Disease. Celiac damage to the small intestine can be spotty and early damage is not visible during the procedure - it can only be detected with biopsy. It is possible your doctor will see damage, but it is also possible they will not.

The best you can do is have a discussion with the doctor even if it is the day of the procedure. The nurse knows what the doctor "normally" does. This does not mean the doctor will refuse if you request more samples to give the best chance for diagnosis.

Good Luck :)

mushroom Proficient

The damage has to be quite severe for the doctor to be able to see it with the naked eye; most damage is only picked up by the microscope. That is why it is hit and miss whether he scopes the right place(s) since it can be quite patchy -- the damage is not uniform..

kareng Grand Master

I think you need to have a meeting with the GI before the day of the procedure. Take him some info from reputable sources, like Celiac medical centers

Archived