MJ_S

Disaster Glutening

Rate this topic

Out of town in Cary, NC for a funeral. Needed to eat dinner. So went to Biaggi's. This is why I never eat out. They brought me regular pasta. I was one or two bites in before someone came running out of the kitchen. This is AFTER I grilled the guy (not our server) who brought the food out - he confidently said yes when I asked him to confirm it was gluten free. Turns out the real gluten-free pasta is A DIFFERENT COLOR. HOW DO YOU MESS THAT UP?????????

This is far far far more gluten than I've eaten in almost two years. I've taken an amytriptiline and scared about what to expect, considering how badly I react to microscopic amounts. I'm loading up on water and have the Pepto Bismol on standby.

Lower stomach pains and gas have started already (just got back to the hotel room).

sad.gifsad.gifsad.gifsad.gif

Oh my....this is what I literally have nightmares about. Do you carry Gluten Relief by Natural Factors (Proteases I, II, III, Plant Protease, Amylase, Cellulase, Lactase, Alpha-Galactosidase, Lipase)with you? Motrin gel caps for the pain? You poor girl. Hang on! You'll make it through.

none of the above, although i did have a glass of wine with dinner. just the pepto bismol. i'll try to go to bed as soon as possible and hopefully be able to sleep. ugh.

I always pass on the gluten-free pasta after getting glutened at an Asian Fusion place. I swear they either gave me the wrong noodles or boiled them in gluteny water. Like you, I ordered gluten-free and double checked. And yet - I was hit. Bad. Should have known it when I got to the bottom of it and saw the shrimp (I had requested no shrimp since I was low iodine then).

I'm pretty sure they just gave me a "regular" version and called it gluten-free.

U seem to know what helps yourself already but in case you haven't tried i use coconut water when ive been gluten-ed and it really helps especially with the tiredness just as long as i lye in bed for 20 mins. Hope you get better soon

Last time I got glutened I knew when it happened, which helps as I take 48 hours to react. I went out and picked up activated charcoal in capsules, digestive enzymes, and Yogi detox tea. It went much smoother than I expected, the charcoal is an effective binding agent, I never even needed Imodium. Some people are finding relief from nettle tea as well.

Oh no! (((hugs)))Good luck! I hope it isn't too bad for you.:(

Bummer. I'd be hitting the Pepto pretty hard myself, maybe every couple hours. Aspirin too. The charcoal capsules and nettle tea sound like a good idea to me.

It's not going to help the horrible symptoms you're going through, but have you written to the restaurant manager or corporate office and explained what happened? They really need to be aware of it. Mistakes happen, but people like that do not need to be working in the restaurant industry.