mammoth863

Please Help :(

Rate this topic

My name is Jonathan I am 33 years old and I recently lost a bout 75lbs. Back in July I started havig stomach discomfort. I went to my doctor and he suspected ulcers so he prescribes me nexium and it doesn't work. Next he suspectes gall stones because of my weight lose so I have an ultrasound done, everything is fine except for some fatty build up around my liver. So still having discomfort I have an E.G.D. done (this over months) well my stomach is normal &uncle everything was fine. I just had the EGD done last Wednesday. I am at my breaking point with these stomach issues. Me and my wife are going on vacation next month and I don't want to be miserable. I've had 2 people suggested me to stop eating glutenfree so thats where I'm at now. By the way the doctor also did blood work and didn't find anything. I guess my question is has anybody in here been in the same situation?

Hello, Jonathon, and welcome.

Two questions:

Can you get a copy of your blood test results to see what was tested for and what the results were?

Can you do the same for your endoscopy? Did he take any biopsies or did he just "look"? You will seldom find celiac by just looking unless the damage is severe -- it needs to be looked at under a microscope.

Many of us have been in the position of the doctors not knowing what they are looking for or, if they do, how to find it :rolleyes:

So For the weird sentences, auto correct. Try to piece it together the best you can, lol.

I can probably get the blood test results. As far as the EGD He just looked.

Sorry, but as far as the blood test what would be considered a "red flag"

On the blood tests the labs nomally give three ranges: negative - say 0-19, equivocal - maybe 20-30; postiive >30. This is just a hypothetical. Often doctors will look at the equivocals and dismiss them, or look at a 31 and call it negative because it is "just" over. The other question is whether he ran the full panel, or only one or two of the tests. It is quite possible he ran only the tTG IgA.

I have no idea what you're talking about ;) whould I need to be retested or can you look at the current results and find out?

You can look at the current results and find out. That's why I asked if you could get a copy. It is always a good idea to do this and keep your own file. Sometimes these things just get filed and not looked, or are looked at with an inexperienced or jaundiced eye. No one is as interested in your health as you are :)

I have no idea what you're talking about ;) whould I need to be retested or can you look at the current results and find out?

Welcome!

If you post your blood test results here, we can tell if you have had any of the blood tests necessary for a possible Celiac Disease diagnosis.

You don't happen to know how I could go about getting my blood test results from my doctor do you? This might be a stupid question but I've never done it.

You don't happen to know how I could go about getting my blood test results from my doctor do you? This might be a stupid question but I've never done it.

Just call them up and ask them to mail or fax you a copy, or stop by the office and pick up a hard copy. You are entitled to them so don't take no for an answer :D

Did they actually test for celiac? Because this hdppened to my husband. You have to specifically ask for it to be tested. Don't start gluten free until you find out or get retested!

Just a thought on the gallbladder. I had major issues with mine but they didn't dx it as such until i had a HIDA scan done (ultrasound was useless).

I haven't had gluten in about a week :( how long does it usually take for gluten symptoms to subside after starting the diet, of course if that's the issue.

I haven't had gluten in about a week :( how long does it usually take for gluten symptoms to subside after starting the diet, of course if that's the issue.

It can take days, weeks, months and even years for some gluten related symptoms to subside.

If you are planning to proceed with more celiac related blood tests, you need to continue eating gluten. The antibodies measured in these tests are created in response to gluten ingestion. Removing gluten makes the tests inaccurate and often negative.

Your doctor should test you for the antibodies to gliaden, the protein in wheat that causes celiac reactions.

CSA Diagnosis

1. EMA (Immunoglobulin A anti-endomysium antibodies)
  2. AGA (IgA anti-gliadin antibodies) Some people do not produce IgA antibodies.
  3. DGP (Deamidated gliadin peptide antibody)
  4. tTGA (IgA anti-tissue transglutaminase)

I'm going to try to get too the doctors office tomorrow to get my blood test results. When I get them and i'll post them. Thanks everyone for the feedback.

I've got my blood test is there anything I need to know before I posted as far as what you need to see.

You should post the names of the tests, the results and the "range" of low to high. I think that's what you are asking?

Comp metabolic panel (18)

Glucose, serum 89

BUN 12

Creatine serum 0.69

eGFR if nonafricn Am 125

eGFR if Africn Am 144

Bun/creatine ratio 17

Sodium serum 139

Potassium, serum 4.4

Chloride, serum 105

Carbon dioxide, total 24

Calcium, serum 9.5

Protein, total, serum 7.0

Albumin, serum 4. 4

Globulin, total 2.6

A/G ratio 1.7

Bilirubin, total 0.5

Alkaline phosphatase, s 83

AST (sgot) 17

ALT (sgpt) 19

H. Pylori, IgG, abs <0.9

IgA, abs <0.89

_ IgM, abs <0.80

Amylase, serum 24

These are the main numbers if you need the range of something just let me know, thanks again guys.

I think they will need the range on bottom three (waiting on my results so not sure). As to the rest, not sure on h,pylori. The CMP (all the others) look fine. They are better than mine.

RANGE

IgG, abs <0.9 / 0.0-0.8

IgA, ABS<0.89/ 0.00-0.88

IgM ABS<0.80/ 0.00-0.79

Hi Mammoth-

Without ranges it is hard to be sure, but I agree that your the numbers you provided look good. What was the range on the potassium?

There are no specific tests for Celiac Disease included. You'll need to ask your doctor to order a full celiac panel. Reminder - to give the celiac blood panel the best opportunity for accuracy -- you need to keep eating gluten.

Full Celiac Blood Panel:

Total Serum IgA

Tissue Transglutaminase IgA and IgG

Gliadin IgA and IgG

Endomysial Antibody IgA

Deamidated Gliadin Peptide IgA and IgG

Range

Amylase, serum 24/ 31-124

I missed reading this before my post. Amylase (pancreatic enzyme) is lower than reference range - Pancreatic enzymes can be affected by celiac - maybe others no more about this one.

It would be a very good idea to add nutrient testing to your list of blood work.

A, All Bs, D, K, Iron, Ferritin, Copper and Zinc

RANGE

IgG, abs <0.9 / 0.0-0.8

IgA, ABS<0.89/ 0.00-0.88

IgM ABS<0.80/ 0.00-0.79

It looks to me like these are the Total IgA (IgG and IgM) numbers? I'm not positive, but total IgA wouldn't need to be done again if it is, I'd guess?

I wasn't sure that was a Total IgA because the range seemed odd. With a less than number as result I don't see how a deficiency would be found.