18 replies to this topic

#1 dube

dube

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 10:45 AM

Any body else here have low vitamin D? Mine is 11.5. Wondering what everyone is taking?
My pharmacist is sending me 5000 to take daily, instead of the prescription...

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,790 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 11:20 AM

I have never had mine tested as I don't have insurance but I do know I feel a world of difference taking supplements. I take a 5000 once a week and one that has 1000IU and K-2 daily. There have been quite a few on the board with low levels on checking so hopefully they will see this and post their experiences.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#3 covebeach

covebeach

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 12:45 PM

Both my teens have extremely low Vitamin D. The orthopedist and endocrinologist put them on 50,000 iu weekly for 6-8 weeks with follow up of 1000 iu per day. That helped somewhat, but because of the absorption issues associated with celiac they still need extra calcium and Vitamin D supplements. They discovered the deficiencies after a series of stress fractures, and are still working to get their Vitamin D within normal range (30).

#4 cassP

cassP

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 08:30 PM

just got mine tested 6 weeks ago- and im at a "26". completely makes sense now- as im having horrific muscle spasm pain everyday. ive been taking 4,000 to 6,000 iu everyday. ive noticed less pain & spasms.

ive just been dosing myself since my doctor neglected to tell me anything. i only knew im deficient cause i always ask them to mail me my results.

i cant wait to discuss it with my doc in april, and then test again later.
1986- Elevated Speckled ANA/no Lupus.negative Sjorgens
2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.
no biopsy (insurance denied)
6/2010- Enterolab Gene Test:
HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302
HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302
HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)
7/2010- 100% Gluten Free
8/2010- DH
10/2010-Hypothyroid dx-> 12/2010 Hashimoto's dx + 1/11- Graves dx :(

#5 twe0708

twe0708

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 03:11 AM

Just had mine tested too and it is 28, so I am taking Natures Made Calcium with Vit. D and Magnesium 2 x a day.

#6 dube

dube

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 07:19 AM

Pharmacy just sent me 5000 D3, which he told me to take daily. However, he didnt tell me for how long...

#7 frieze

frieze

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 07:35 AM

Both my teens have extremely low Vitamin D. The orthopedist and endocrinologist put them on 50,000 iu weekly for 6-8 weeks with follow up of 1000 iu per day. That helped somewhat, but because of the absorption issues associated with celiac they still need extra calcium and Vitamin D supplements. They discovered the deficiencies after a series of stress fractures, and are still working to get their Vitamin D within normal range (30).

If the 50,000 was little emerald green footballs, they were D2 not particularly good, definetely go for D3
and do some research, a level of 30 is considered insufficient....

#8 frieze

frieze

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 08:17 AM

Just had mine tested too and it is 28, so I am taking Natures Made Calcium with Vit. D and Magnesium 2 x a day.

there is very little Vit D in these, you will see VERY little change in you levels.

#9 TSA

TSA

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 09:46 AM

Any body else here have low vitamin D? Mine is 11.5. Wondering what everyone is taking?

Hello, I just found out my vitamin D was <5! My doctor put me on a vitamin D prescription of 50,000 and yes I do mean fifty thousand! I take one pill twice a week. Just started taking it yesterday so I nothing to share at the moment. I wake up with sore hands, knees, back and feet every morning! I'm praying this will help! Tammy
Tammy

Celiac since Nov. 2010

#10 TSA

TSA

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 09:49 AM

If the 50,000 was little emerald green footballs, they were D2 not particularly good, definetely go for D3
and do some research, a level of 30 is considered insufficient....

The vitamin D that I'm taking are little green footballs! What do you mean they aren't particulary good? Whats the difference between D2 & D3? Thanks! Tammy
Tammy

Celiac since Nov. 2010

#11 frieze

frieze

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 10:57 AM

The vitamin D that I'm taking are little green footballs! What do you mean they aren't particulary good? Whats the difference between D2 & D3? Thanks! Tammy

It is the plant form of the vitamin, not well absorbed. Remember, we are designed to get our Vit D from the sun. not food!...check out the grocery store vitamin section you should ba able to find at least 5000 unit gel caps of D3. check out vitaminDcouncil.org good luck

#12 pondy

pondy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 03:30 PM

I have a D deficiency also. My doctor has me taking 2,000 IU of D3 daily. I use the brand Spring Valley - they're gluten, wheat, lactose free.

I haven't noticed any improvements in my bone, joint or muscle pain yet - but it's only been about 4 days that I've been taking them.
"It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the ones most responsive to change"
- Charles Darwin

#13 twe0708

twe0708

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 03:35 PM

there is very little Vit D in these, you will see VERY little change in you levels.

So after seeing what everyone else is taking, I guess 200 I.U. isn't enough. Do I have to ask my doc about the 5000 and if I am low why wouldn't he prescribe me those in the first place?

#14 sb2178

sb2178

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 03:50 PM

5000 IU is available OTC. 28 is low, but you're generally not considered officially 'deficient" until you drop to 16.

If you live someplace sunny, he may also assume it will rise seasonally once you're back out in the sun. Which it likely will.

I'll just caution everyone to not get too carried away. It is a fat-soluble vintamin which means theoretically you can overdose on it. If you're taking a high dose, follow-up blood work is a sensible precaution.

(Me: 5,000 or 10,000 IU per week with a history of both deficiency and low levels while on 1,000 IU per day)

2/2010 Malabsorption becomes dramatically noticable
3/2010 Negative IgA EMA; negative IgA TTG
4/2010 Negative biopsy
5/2010 Elimination diet; symptoms begin to resolve on gluten-free diet round two (10 days)
5/2010 Diagnosed gluten sensitive based on weakly positive repeat IgA & IgG TTGs and dietary response; decline capsule endoscopy.

Now, what to do about my cookbook in progress? Make it gluten-free?

#15 cassP

cassP

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 05:15 PM

So after seeing what everyone else is taking, I guess 200 I.U. isn't enough. Do I have to ask my doc about the 5000 and if I am low why wouldn't he prescribe me those in the first place?

i would ASSUME that 200 is not enough. now- im only ASSUMING, cause my doc didnt tell me a damn thing... ive had to go about this on my own for now. ive been reading advice from members on here, and the D3 supplement i bought from the doctor i whole heartedly respect comes in servings of 2000 iu per capsule. i think the bottle said take 1 or 2 per day. i was taking 2 a day, but when i saw people onhere taking more, i upped mine to 3 a day (6,000 iu).

not sure if what im doing is right, so i will plan to ask my doc in april, and do follow up testing. i HAVE noticed LESS muscle spasms, and LESS muscle pain. i still have muscle aches- but it HAS definitely improved.
1986- Elevated Speckled ANA/no Lupus.negative Sjorgens
2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.
no biopsy (insurance denied)
6/2010- Enterolab Gene Test:
HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302
HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302
HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)
7/2010- 100% Gluten Free
8/2010- DH
10/2010-Hypothyroid dx-> 12/2010 Hashimoto's dx + 1/11- Graves dx :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: