This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Crap

pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Y'all all know the discussions about having a gluten-free household/mixed?

Well, lately I've been letting in more gluten for my son.

Bad idea. Bad, bad idea.

This morning I'm doubled over with a knot in my stomach. Haven't eaten out in two days, no new foods...

Ugh.

Only thing worse than a mixed household is a kid who refuses to thoroughly wash his hands and take care with his gluten.

No more gluten (and lots of soapy cleaning in my house, apparently).

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

If he can't keep his gluten to himself.....out it goes!

Not meant to comment on your house as I don't know what you have set up.  Just some info for someone thinking about their house.

Now at my house, mistakes get made and I don't get mad as long as they "fix" the mistakes.  for example, M (17) was making a gluten pizza with a little pre-made pizza crust.  He forgot and put his hands into the mozzarella bag after touching the pizza crust.  There was a big clump of cheese and he didn't want it all to fall out at once.  He recognized the problem and labeled the bag of left-overs with his name.  This tells me it is no longer gluten-free.  I don't get mad, even if I had wanted the other half of the cheese because I don't want them to hide what they have done.

I think it helps to have a separate counter and cabinet for the gluteny crackers ,pizza crusts, bread and toaster.  Then tell him to keep them over there.

But if they didn't follow the rules, I wouldn't buy them the products.  Of Course my 20 yr thinks Udis whole grain buns and my whole grain Canyon Bakehouse are fine bread products so I'm not sure what his incentive is.  Maybe if he makes mom sick, he has to grocery shop, cook, clean, etc.  Hmmm....that gives me an idea.  :ph34r:

Adalaide Mentor

Even though I live in a house with 3 gluten eaters, I use the kitchen more than probably all three of them combined. So, to that end I have half of the counter space designated as fully mine. The remainder gets used communally, it is the long and useful space that separates the kitchen from the dining area. When I use it I wash it twice then use a sanitizing spray before I do anything. I also wipe down the door handles, stove knobs, fridge and freezer door handles and light switches before I start. I have my own pantry space and fridge space.

Two people know that my stuff is completely off limits, there is no touching involved. Is it mine? Then it doesn't get touched. The rules are that simple. And I go off the deep end if that rule gets broken. Mostly because no one thinks twice about doing things like putting bread in the toaster then touching stuff while it toasts and then saying "but my hands were clean!" Clean my fat.... :angry: This is why I can't even share dishes with them. They touch bread and gluteny crap then get into cupboards covered in crumbs. (The silverware drawer is *shiver*)

With my husband it is different. He is extremely careful with not contaminating me. He sees how sick I get and knows how careful he has to be. He is also forthcoming if he makes a mistake. I don't get mad at him, although I do sometimes get mad or frustrated... just not AT him. He is patient with me and knows the difference. We simply then move the offending whatever out of my section of the pantry/fridge/whatever.

That said, if it were a child I wouldn't even go there. It isn't like a kid can't live gluten free. You break the rules, you pay the price buddy. :P

Celiac Mindwarp Community Regular

Before Christmas I got glutened 5 times in 6 weeks. I told my husband if it kept happening, gluten would be banned.

No problem since :)

We have a similar 'tell me if you make a mistake' rule.

Good luck

nvsmom Community Regular

(hugs) Hope you feel a bit better by the weekend.

A good workout (minus abs) works wonders. Don't know why....

I'm coming up on my 2 year gluten-free anniversary and I think this is the first time I've been cc'd in my own home. I'm pretty strict (or was) about incoming gluten: prepared, non crumbly items only. Recently broke the rule with some chip type stuff and junk food for kid. He s gotten a bit loose with it -eating on the couch, computer...evidently there's a ketchup stain on his bedroom floor????

Anyway, lesson learned the hard way.

He brought me a Larabar for inspection today "does this have gluten in it??", prior to eating it (so he would know how careful to be).

gatita Enthusiast

Oh man, so sorry.... I don't know how y'all do the shared household thing. For the most part, my housemate has gone along with the gluten-free thing quite nicely. Recently though he brought home some flour tortillas for himself because he missed them. But he quickly realized what a pain in the butt it was to thoroughly wipe down everything every time he heated one up. I don't think he thinks it was worth it!

On a funny note, I went in his room to talk to him the other day and saw he had a box of chocolate croissants by his bed! He said he brings them straight there when he gets home and they never leave his room, ha ha. I was very touched. So it's pretty much his bedroom pastries and the occasional beer.

Honestly, I think I'd go crazy with wheat crumbs in the kitchen! Good for you guys for keeping them all in line as well as you do :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Oh man, so sorry.... I don't know how y'all do the shared household thing. For the most part, my housemate has gone along with the gluten-free thing quite nicely. Recently though he brought home some flour tortillas for himself because he missed them. But he quickly realized what a pain in the butt it was to thoroughly wipe down everything every time he heated one up. I don't think he thinks it was worth it!

On a funny note, I went in his room to talk to him the other day and saw he had a box of chocolate croissants by his bed! He said he brings them straight there when he gets home and they never leave his room, ha ha. I was very touched. So it's pretty much his bedroom pastries and the occasional beer.

Honestly, I think I'd go crazy with wheat crumbs in the kitchen! Good for you guys for keeping them all in line as well as you do :)

Aside from bottled beer and an occasional treat (candy bar, etc.) that's how we do it. Gluten goes outside or at the table with a drop cloth.

Then we got comfortable....and here I am.

Archived