Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

greenbeanie

Endoscopy Soon - Hooray!

I had a long-awaited appointment with a GI today, and she was superb. She actually seemed to think she'd have to convince me that I needed an endoscopy urgently, whereas I was expecting that I'd need to convince her not to dismiss my concerns about celiac because of the negative blood tests. She clearly didn't expect me to be as thrilled as I was to have her schedule an endoscopy! I suppose it's not often that they get a patient who is so happy to be told they're having an unpleasant medical test.

The funniest thing was that I presented her with a long list of symptoms, but before we even talked about it she lifted up my shirt to listen to my belly and asked about the rash on my torso. I asked her what rash - there's no apparent rash on my torso at the moment! The skin was just very slightly mottled. Now, I've had horrible, oozing, immensely itchy rashes on various parts of my body for the last 30 years, and numerous doctors told me it was just from stress. The current mottling on my torso is nothing compared to how bad the rash often gets. But seeing this minor rash alone was enough to convince her that we need to get the endoscopy done quickly so I can go gluten-free for good! Go figure. And she strongly supports me going gluten-free immediately after the endoscopy and never, ever eating gluten again, regardless of what the tests show. Finally, at LONG last, I feel like I have a competent doctor who knows what she's talking about. It was reassuring, too, that she was adamant about the need to look around in there for other problems, either in addition to or instead of celiac. One way or another, the wait for a diagnosis is almost over. 

Endoscopy in four days!

Wow!! That is absolutely wonderful!! I love to hear these stories!! Absolutely!! Now this Makes me want to start back on Gluten so I can have that test!! No more stressed about that huh?

I had a long-awaited appointment with a GI today, and she was superb. She actually seemed to think she'd have to convince me that I needed an endoscopy urgently, whereas I was expecting that I'd need to convince her not to dismiss my concerns about celiac because of the negative blood tests. She clearly didn't expect me to be as thrilled as I was to have her schedule an endoscopy! I suppose it's not often that they get a patient who is so happy to be told they're having an unpleasant medical test.

The funniest thing was that I presented her with a long list of symptoms, but before we even talked about it she lifted up my shirt to listen to my belly and asked about the rash on my torso. I asked her what rash - there's no apparent rash on my torso at the moment! The skin was just very slightly mottled. Now, I've had horrible, oozing, immensely itchy rashes on various parts of my body for the last 30 years, and numerous doctors told me it was just from stress. The current mottling on my torso is nothing compared to how bad the rash often gets. But seeing this minor rash alone was enough to convince her that we need to get the endoscopy done quickly so I can go gluten-free for good! Go figure. And she strongly supports me going gluten-free immediately after the endoscopy and never, ever eating gluten again, regardless of what the tests show. Finally, at LONG last, I feel like I have a competent doctor who knows what she's talking about. It was reassuring, too, that she was adamant about the need to look around in there for other problems, either in addition to or instead of celiac. One way or another, the wait for a diagnosis is almost over. 

Endoscopy in four days!

Thank you for sharing -- wonderful to hear these stories -- sad that they remain the exception rather than the rule -- but thankful none the less that things are beginning to change :)

Glad you will have the endo behind you soon and be able to begin living gluten-free :D

I remember the countdown to my endo... gosh those were the longest days ever. I'm glad to hear you had such a positive experience with your doctor. :) 

It really isn't that unpleasant of a test; I don't remember a thing. And then you just get to sleep a lot.

Keep us updated with how recovery goes!