This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Skin Care Products - Could A Little Bit Of Gluten Harm Me?

HavaneseMom

HavaneseMom Explorer

Hi All,

I am a newbie and am in the process of trying to change all of my skin care and make up products to Gluten free, especially the products that come in contact with my mouth. I have very sensitive skin, sinuses and eyes and it has literally taken me years to find products that I don't have a reaction to. The problem is that those products may contain gluten :-( .

My facial moisturizer is by Kiehl's and contains Tocopherol. They will not tell me if their Tocopherol source is wheat. They did send me this statement which seems like they are saying that it should not be a problem if it did come from wheat, due to the way they process ingredients. I have never heard anything like this before.

"Thank you for your inquiry concerning gluten in Kiehl's Since 1851 products.

Most ingredients derived from grain sources are highly refined and retain no traces of gluten proteins. For less refined ingredients from natural sources, Kiehl's Since 1851 has established strict limits on the level of potentially allergenic proteins. We believe that this policy minimizes the likelihood of reactions to these proteins in the majority of sensitive individuals. However, since individuals exhibit a wide range of sensitivities to these proteins, if you have any questions or concerns you should discuss with your medical care provider."

My facial cleanser is from Earth Science and they have confirmed that their Tocopherol is sourced from wheat, but the product "contains a very small amount, less than 1%".

I have really tried to find replacements and have tried Boscia (burned/stung my skin), Eucerin (swollen eyes, headache), Cerave (watery eyes, runny nose, headache) and my options are limited since I can only use fragrance free products.

So I guess I am wondering, should I be concerned about using the products that work for me and cause me no reaction, even though they do come in contact with my mouth and might contain Gluten?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Tropocol is highly refined and should not have any gluten in it. I just look for the obvious things like wheat germ oil. I don't worry about products that might not get into my mouth. I don't have a wheat allergy, just celiac. I like CeraVE for lotion.

shadowicewolf Proficient

I use vanicream and it is really good. :)

Gemini Experienced

Kareng is correct in that tocopherols pose no threat to a Celiac...no matter how sensitive they are.  It is too highly refined. This is another Celiac myth that won't go away.  Since gluten cannot be absorbed through the skin, the only products you have to be concerned with are lip products and hand creme.  However......from what you have described as symptoms you have, it would appear that you have allergies to boot.  Having those kinds of reactions would indicate that and you may be reacting to any one of the ingredients in the products.I use CeraVe moisturizer because I have Sjogren's Syndrome and have dry skin from it and CeraVe is recommended for Sjogren's patients.  I am also a very sensitive Celiac and have never had a problem with it.  It is gluten free.  

If you have no reaction to any particular product, that would be the one to use. If it contains gluten, which would most likely be wheat germ oil, as long as you don't ingest it, it should pose no threat. 

HavaneseMom Explorer

Kareng is correct in that tocopherols pose no threat to a Celiac...no matter how sensitive they are.  It is too highly refined. This is another Celiac myth that won't go away.  Since gluten cannot be absorbed through the skin, the only products you have to be concerned with are lip products and hand creme.  However......from what you have described as symptoms you have, it would appear that you have allergies to boot.  Having those kinds of reactions would indicate that and you may be reacting to any one of the ingredients in the products.I use CeraVe moisturizer because I have Sjogren's Syndrome and have dry skin from it and CeraVe is recommended for Sjogren's patients.  I am also a very sensitive Celiac and have never had a problem with it.  It is gluten free.  

If you have no reaction to any particular product, that would be the one to use. If it contains gluten, which would most likely be wheat germ oil, as long as you don't ingest it, it should pose no threat.

That's great to hear that tocopherols are not something I need to worry about. I had read in a few places to make sure that they weren't sourced from wheat, but it sounds like that is just a myth. I'm not sure what ingredient I react to in most products, but am so happy that I can use my products that don't cause a reaction even if they have tocopheryl derived from wheat. Tocopheryl is in so many of my products and I was dreading having to find replacements since my skin and sinuses are so fussy. Thanks for the great news!
Pauliewog Contributor

I really love oil cleansers. Then I looked at the label (looking for gluten!) and discovered most of what is in it is chemicals, not oil. So I went on line and read about making your own. Now I buy oils and use them to clean. No chemicals, no oils. Very easy to do too. I also started using pure shea butter as a moisturizer. I have used coconut oil for years too. Sounds like a greasy mess but it isn't if you don't use too much.

MichLab Explorer

I have been on the search recently myself for some gluten free creams and lotions. I had been using many drug store brands which i try to verify as gluten free but I have been experiencing many issues so I tried to change my cosmetics and lotions.  I have found a company call Pacifica Perfumes they have many lotions and what not that are really nice.  Plus they are super helpful!!  Also, 100% Natural has many great products as well.  I would love to know if you find any additional products that you like.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

I forgot.  I get the coconut body lotion at whole foods. 

https://www.desertessence.com/gluten-free

Gemini Experienced

http://www.glutenfreedietitian.com/newsletter/vitamin-e-from-wheat-germ-oil/

Hope this helps to clear up the tocopherol issue for you......it will explain why you do not need to worry about it.  :)

answerseeker Enthusiast

For moisturizer I like Olay sensitive SPF 15. It is gluten free from my understanding and its gentle. My skin is super sensitive and I have the celiac rash too. I choose to use gluten free products. Dove and Suave will clearly disclose gluten on the label so for lotion/body wash/ shampoo those might be good cheap brands to look at.

Burt's bees is mostly gluten free but a lot has fragrance. I just picked up the radiance cleanser to try. Love the lip shimmers

I also get sinus problems with skin care, fragrance will give me a migraine so i understand that one! I also love to use pure carrier oils on my skin. Apricot kernel oil is great for sensitive skin and I also love Jason aloe vera beauty oil.

Still looking for some great eye shadows. My eyes water, burn, and itch. I once used a MAC shadow and I had this horrid reaction where I had peeling skin like a snake skin all around my eyes. Avon is supposed to be mostly gluten free too

HavaneseMom Explorer

Thanks everyone for all of the great products suggestions and for clearing up to tocopherol issue. I am definitely going to try the products all of your recommended.

So, here is something new that came up regarding my hairspray and I am wondering if anyone knows if this should be a concern. I wrote to make sure it was gluten free because I get a little crazy with the hairspray and it is airborne, so I'm sure I ingest a little bit (yuck). They wrote back with this response:

"Unfortunately, our aerosols cannot be confirmed as gluten free because they contain alcohol for evaporative purposes and the alcohol supplier will not confirm the gluten content."

Is there really a chance of gluten being in the alcohol in my hairspray?

kareng Grand Master

Alcohol should be so highly processed that there would not be any remaining grain proteins - no matter what the grain.  I'm guessing most would be corn based in the US.

When I go to the hair dresser, her hairspray has wheat germ oil in it.  I let her spray but cover my mouth.  I think if you keep your mouth shut and maybe wipe off your lips, even with a smidge of Wheat germ oil in the product, you would be fine.

• 4 years later...
david brathwaite-hill Newbie

I have read the replies and as a very sensitive celiac, shampoos, creams etc do break me out when they contain any form of wheat products. My skin is part of my body and my body is celiac. It is not something that may affect every celiac, but to say it is a celiac myth is giving the wrong answer. My daughter has the same issues I have. I just bought Kiehl's Facial Fuel and after the third use my skin is broken out in extremely dry patches. Mostly under my beard which is even harder to clear up. 

Archived