JessaBeth

Endoscopy & Colonoscopy On Monday!

Rate this topic

Hello everyone! I have an endoscopy and colonoscopy scheduled for Monday at 7:30am. I'm nervous. In 2006 I had positive bloodwork for Celiac, but I also had a bonehead doctor who said he wasn't sure what the results  meant, and that the levels weren't so bad that I had to stop eating gluten. A.K.A. meaning I didn't stop eating gluten :unsure:

Fast forward until now, problems galore. So my endoscopy and colonoscopy are scheduled for Monday morning and I'm nervous.

Prep tomorrow is not going to be fun... not sure what to expect from the procedures, but hoping I get some answers and relief soon.

Also, not quite gung ho yippee about having to go gluten free right before the holidays ^_^

From what I hear, gluten free isn't that bad once you get used to it... I just heard it's 'different'... but still.

I'm glad to be here, hoping this is a supportive community to which I can get and give support.

Thanks in advance for reading and I'd love to hear any words of wisdom anyone has B)

Welcome!

There are lots of great folks here with tons of experience to help you through this. They've helped educate me and get me through the initial shock and fear of the lifestyle changes I would need to make. 

I, too, will be going gluten free this week. I was diagnosed months ago but am awaiting my endoscopy on Wednesday before eliminating gluten. The waiting time has given me time to research and study threads on this forum and prepare my home so I feel I am as ready as I can be. You can do this! The prep for the colonoscopy will probably be the worst part!  :P

For me, I try to stay focused on how this is an opportunity to heal and possibly rid myself of a ton of symptoms I've been plagued with over the years. I'm excited about that. I also try to remember that there are STILL lots of great foods to eat and new foods I'll give a try.

Ask questions and you are sure to get help here. 

Good luck with your tests (and today!  ;) ) and let us know how it goes tomorrow!

I have had two endoscopies and one colonoscopy.  The pre surgery fast is the worst part of it in my opinion.  Make sure you have a ride home.  They put me under for my procedure.  Some people do, some don't.

As for the holidays, don't dread it.  Embrace it.  Buy a bread maker with a gluten free setting and you can make every bread you can imagine.  Find a handful of quick mixes that you can whip up quickly and make some cupcakes or cookies and voila!  Take your own pastries with you to the family get together and you'll be good to go.  I have been diagnosed for a year now and am so used to being gluten-free that I really don't think much about it beyond performing my usual checks to insure I am not ingesting it.

Let us know what they discover in your endoscopy.  We are in your corner.

I wouldn't fret about going gluten free, before holiday's it is a bit of a hassle just because there are so many holiday snacks with gluten.  Once you finally learn all the hidden sources of gluten and what you can and can't eat, it's actually pretty easy, they have replacements for anything with gluten in at least 3 different way's.  I learned of so many ways to make Gluten free bread with stuff I had never heard of my whole life.  Gluten free is easy, it's the intolerances most people develop after going gluten-free that aren't lol like lactose intolerance/corn w.e,  So best wishes to you and good luck with it all! 

Hi Everyone. Well, it was not what I expected :o

They did a biopsy and celiac pannel (waiting on those results) but... they also found a very large mass on my duodenum. He took a biopsy of that as well, and said it could be anything from a very large ulcer to lymphoma.  I am TERRIFIED. I'm so young. Cancer????

I can't concentrate today. I just want to crawl in bed until I get the results.

I somehow need to regroup.

JessaBeth....I am SO SORRY that you are going through this, my dear.  My healing thoughts and prayers are with you and please remember you have plenty of support here on this forum.  Let us know what happens because I'm gonna be thinking of you and hoping it's just an ulcer and all will be well down the road.  Deep breaths and try to relax...which, I know, is easy for me to say.  Whatever the results......do not let any gluten ever pass your lips again! 

I meant to say......don't even worry one bit about the gluten-free diet.  It is not really different at all.  I have been doing this for 8 1/2 years and THIS feels totally normal to me.  We'll help you with the food stuff, don't worry!

Aside from wanting to beat the 2006 doctor senseless on your behalf for giving you the wrong information, I can offer you

this thought: Please, do not get too crazy with worry because "anything from an ulcer to lymphoma' is a pretty big spectrum.

(And this doctor has a horrible bedside manner telling you that without knowing anything else.

What is wrong with these stupid doctors? I can see your AI conditions listed in your sig line, I know you should be G F!)

Hon, please hear me out. Do not think the worst because you do not have the facts, OK?

I have heard so many things from doctors only to learn later, they were all untrue. I have worried myself through biopsies

and "masses" and polyps etc....and I came through them all. 

Worrying---does not change the outcome. It only makes you sick, wrinkly and gives you heart palpitations.

Want to focus in something positive?

Once you go gluten-free, you may learn you do not even have type2 diabetes or Fibro or GERD. I had all those, too....and 

they were actually conditions brought on by consuming gluten and having undiagnosed celiac.

Off gluten, and I have none of those--or the other few dozen symptoms I suffered.

Say this instead: I am going to go G F, and I am going to feel better.!

We'll help you through this --no worries now---and keep us posted on the test results.

hang in there, sweetie (((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))  i have had my share of idiot doctors, making a diagnosis 'guess' (or not) - don't give up and like irish said, you may find many of your AI symptoms vanish or at least become manageable.  there's never a *good* time to completely change your diet, but we have all done it and it has meant a much better quality of life for most of us.  i'm saying extra prayers for you that what the doc found is nothing serious. 

Please, take a deep breath.  Waiting is hard but necessary.  Use this week to concentrate on starting your new Gluten Free life.  Before you know it you will have answers and can go from there.  Know that you have our full support going forward.

Colleen

Hello everyone! I have an endoscopy and colonoscopy scheduled for Monday at 7:30am. I'm nervous. In 2006 I had positive bloodwork for Celiac, but I also had a bonehead doctor who said he wasn't sure what the results  meant, and that the levels weren't so bad that I had to stop eating gluten. A.K.A. meaning I didn't stop eating gluten :unsure:

Fast forward until now, problems galore. So my endoscopy and colonoscopy are scheduled for Monday morning and I'm nervous.

Prep tomorrow is not going to be fun... not sure what to expect from the procedures, but hoping I get some answers and relief soon.

Also, not quite gung ho yippee about having to go gluten free right before the holidays ^_^

From what I hear, gluten free isn't that bad once you get used to it... I just heard it's 'different'... but still.

I'm glad to be here, hoping this is a supportive community to which I can get and give support.

Thanks in advance for reading and I'd love to hear any words of wisdom anyone has B)

I hope this will go well.

D