Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

SkyBlue4

This Is Just Wrong!

Rate this topic

I have always and I mean ALWAYS wanted to receive a gourmet gift basket. I know that sounds silly but those treats always look so darn good. Well, what do I receive today?  A gourmet gift tower filled with all of the delicious stuff I can no longer eat.

Oh cruel world.....and it LOOKS so pretty, too. I'm going back to ogle it some more   :(

Maybe you should ask Santa for a gluten-free gourmet gift basket from your local health food store. I'm sure one exists, but if your local store doesn't have one, maybe "Santa" can have one made up for you. It'll be expensive, but then again even the gluten-filled ones are overpriced.

Hmm...now that I think about it, maybe Santa can get me one of these too. :D

No, it does not sound silly.  I love gourmet gift baskets!  So, I make my own including (all homemade):

- Vanilla extract

- butterscotch and chocolate fudge sauces

- homemade marshmallows

- biscotti

- ricotta cheese

- bacon (or other) jam

- homemade crackers or scones

I sooooooooo wish I could send you one!  I would spoil you.  :P 

For some reason I was unable to edit above.  I also add marinated feta  and a spice blend such as Orange Chipotle or smokey honey to the above.

I don't think it is silly at all!! But making one your self would be fun!! 

Maybe you should ask Santa for a gluten-free gourmet gift basket from your local health food store. I'm sure one exists, but if your local store doesn't have one, maybe "Santa" can have one made up for you. It'll be expensive, but then again even the gluten-filled ones are overpriced.

Hmm...now that I think about it, maybe Santa can get me one of these too. :D

I'm writing Santa as we speak, Bartfull  :D

No, it does not sound silly.  I love gourmet gift baskets!  So, I make my own including (all homemade):

- Vanilla extract

- butterscotch and chocolate fudge sauces

- homemade marshmallows

- biscotti

- ricotta cheese

- bacon (or other) jam

- homemade crackers or scones

I sooooooooo wish I could send you one!  I would spoil you.  :P

Oh my gosh, that all sounds soooooooooo good! Especially the biscotti  :blink: 

I know the feeling.  Gluten isn't even an issue for me but I can't have eggs, dairy, some nuts, some herbs and spices and other foods.  Add in diabetes on top of that.  So when we do get a gift basket there is usually nothing at all in there that I can eat.  For that reason, when I do send food to people, I try to send more simple things.  Meat, cheese, fruits and vegetables.  One Christmas I sent gift baskets of baby vegetables.  Except for those people who do not ever cook.  They got fruit.  I also try to pay close attention to any food issues or dislikes.  I would never knowingly send cheese to a person who couldn't eat it.

I, too, hate having to stare at gluten-filled goods of delicuousness, especially when they are sat in front of you or gifted to you by a person unfamiliar.  My husband gets my castoffs, and the way I see it is with my lack of self control, that is like 3000 calories and one butt size larger I won't have to deal with!

Ohhh I run a craft shop for one month at a christmas tree farm in Dec. One lady makes some Muffins OMG They are huge !! They Rock!! She had Lemon Muffins , Cranberry Muffins, Blueberry Muffins! Ughhhh I so wanted to grab one of those Lemon Muffins, everyone at the shop bought some :( I could not eat a one :( Maby next year I will make some Gluten Free Muffins?? :) The smell of those were amazing!! I almost just wanted to grab one and ENJOY! But I knew I could not! LOL :(  I just watched everyone eles enjoy!! I reaped the $ instead lol ... A few things I am finding I have a hard time dealing with ... Those would be great in a gift basket!! 

Ohhh I run a craft shop for one month at a christmas tree farm in Dec. One lady makes some Muffins OMG They are huge !! They Rock!! She had Lemon Muffins , Cranberry Muffins, Blueberry Muffins! Ughhhh I so wanted to grab one of those Lemon Muffins, everyone at the shop bought some :( I could not eat a one :( Maby next year I will make some Gluten Free Muffins?? :) The smell of those were amazing!! I almost just wanted to grab one and ENJOY! But I knew I could not! LOL :(  I just watched everyone eles enjoy!! I reaped the $ instead lol ... A few things I am finding I have a hard time dealing with ... Those would be great in a gift basket!! 

When I see something that I may have eaten before but cannot eat now, I don't think about how it would taste - because that lasts for about a minute.  I concentrate on how it would make me feel.  And even though I was asymptomatic before my diagnosis, sugary food always made me feel like crap.  Low blood sugar, heavy feeling in the stomach, needing a nap, and just generally ucky.  So when I look at a blueberry muffin I think "ucky" not "yummy" - because the "yummy" only lasts a minute but the "ucky" lasts for hours (at least).  Give me a carrot stick any day.  :)

What does it contain?  Inquiring minds need to know!  :D

Let's see.....

a box of Rice Chex

a can of Progresso soup

Farmo Pasta

gluten-free Bisquick

Betty Crocker brownie mix

Enjoy Life Plentils

trial/snack size- BRM muesli, Schar ~pasta, roll, & cookies~, Udi crisps, & Crunchmaster crackers 

There were also a ton of coupons, 3 magazines (Delight, Living Without and Gluten-Free Living) and a video from Schar on living gluten-free.

I ate the Schar cookies right away and they were delicious! They were cream filled vanilla cookies  :)

Don't you just love getting parcels?

What perfect timing! I just received my gluten-free Care Package!   :D

Wish there was a like button!! 

No it's not silly.  I love gift baskets/towers.  Last year my inlaws sent us  gift box that was filled with meats, cheese, crackers.  I was hoping they wouldn't do that this year since I cannot eat an of it.  We did receive a beautiful gift tower from them this year.  Not only was it beautiful, but they were so thoughtful in the one they picked out.  It included several different types of pears, oranges, and apples.  It also had nuts, hard cheese, smoked salmon.  There were a few items I couldn't eat (biscotti, chocolates, and crackers).  It was so thoughtful of them to think about my food issues (especially since I am new to being gluten free).