tka

Meringue Listed On The Unsafe List...why?

Rate this topic

Whose un safe list? I read ingredients. I suppose a company could make something and call it a meringue but add flour.

The unsafe foods list on celiac.com's  own site...that's why I asked.  I've recently been having some major joint and muscle pain issues and thought I'd look over the list again...and it was there.

The unsafe foods list on celiac.com's  own site...that's why I asked.  I've recently been having some major joint and muscle pain issues and thought I'd look over the list again...and it was there.

That's weird. I wonder if there are different things being called meringues?

That's weird. I wonder if there are different things being called meringues?

I wondered if it was the cream of tarter, but from what I could find, it shouldn't be a problem.  I did notice several gluten free meringue recipes don't have it in it though.

Cream of tartar is safe. Home made merangue is just egg whites, cream of tartar, and sugar. All are safe ingredients.

I'm thinking that maybe some of the commercial merangue powders might contain gluten and that's why it is on the list?

Just rechecked the Trader Joe's box...I actually says may be processed on equipment that processes wheat and nuts...Aww. Darn.  How'd I miss that before?  I thought I checked all of that. Maybe that's why they're on the list?  

Just rechecked the Trader Joe's box...I actually says may be processed on equipment that processes wheat and nuts...Aww. Darn.  How'd I miss that before?  I thought I checked all of that. Maybe that's why they're on the list?

No. That wouldn't be it. I have bought ones that say gluten-free on them.

I suspect meringues is on the list because of the wide variety that can be made.  Meringue pie, cookies, cookie sandwiches, on desserts, all kinds of stuff.  One of those things that has no business being around gluten but still sometimes does.