Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Rate this topic

Just going gluten-free this week, noticed the 3mg disolvable melatonin I've been taking has wheat in it!  Can anyone recommend a brand of gluten-free melatonin, preferably disolvable?  Many thanks!  I'm sure this won't be my last question and/or request for help!

Jody

Every time I have called on a prescription a doctor has tried to give me for a dissolvable tablet I have been outright told it contains wheat starch. Unless you want to be on a snipe hunt I would aim for a regular pill which will be easy to find. (At this point I tell doctors outright I won't bother trying to call on that type of pill, I won't waste my time and just move on.)

I don't know of a disolvable one, but I order mine from puritan.com and the tablets are all (regardless of dose) gluten free. I've also found that site to be less expensive than GNC or other competitors. 

Every time I have called on a prescription a doctor has tried to give me for a dissolvable tablet I have been outright told it contains wheat starch. Unless you want to be on a snipe hunt I would aim for a regular pill which will be easy to find. (At this point I tell doctors outright I won't bother trying to call on that type of pill, I won't waste my time and just move on.)

I think that information is incorrect, Addy.  I use sublingual DHEA and there are brands which are gluten free.  I have never seen wheat starch listed on any bottle of a sublingual supplement.  I have never used melatonin but I am sure, with a google search, a gluten free version can be easily found.

I think that information is incorrect, Addy.  I use sublingual DHEA and there are brands which are gluten free.  I have never seen wheat starch listed on any bottle of a sublingual supplement.  I have never used melatonin but I am sure, with a google search, a gluten free version can be easily found.

I wasn't saying that every pill does, just that every one I had been prescribed and called the manufacturer on because it was what my local pharmacy had, had wheat in it. Which led me to give up on the entire possibility of sublinguals because I don't have time for snipe hunts. I'm glad you were able to find some and that there are some out there that exist. I was simply sharing my experience and didn't mean for it to be misleading.

I may have found a gummy product by Sundown Naturals that is gluten free.  It's on Amazon and the picture of the bottle says "NO wheat," but I'd much rather find a bottle I can actually pick up and look at.  Thanks everyone!

Jody