Questore

Anyone Out There With Burning Diarrhea?

Rate this topic

I've been noticing this for a while...a long while, but finally nerved myself up to ask...is any one having or had burning lower bowel/diarrhea unconnected with hot foods or additives?  Think Chile Peppers, not that I indulge, but I've heard!!!!

Hi Questor,

Because the Colon/Anus is so inflamed when having diarrhea, the area is extremely sensitive and yes it can feel like burning.  This is the case whether Celiac or not.

Colleen

My entire GI tract burned from mouth to rectum when I was very ill for 3 years before diagnosis, but other people without celiac

can have this issue too (crohn's, IBD, UC, microscopis colitis, colitis, food poisoning, chronic hemorhoids, for example).

wellllll.......that's just one of the many fun symptoms I can expect in the ensuing days.) 

I haven't figured out what I might be eating that does this occasionally - I think it's just when I don't eat in my " usual" fashion. One thing that helps the pain is - wash well after some leakage. Then put diaper cream or vasoline on the ouchy area. A little gooey on the underwear - but it washes out.

For an irritated exit point, I really like the Preparation H wipes.  Much easier than the ointment.  Just fan your fanny dry after you use them, lol.

For an irritated exit point, I really like the Preparation H wipes.  Much easier than the ointment.  Just fan your fanny dry after you use them, lol.

The point of ointment/ goo is it gives you a good barrier. So a little leakage doesn't touch the skin.

I've been noticing this for a while...a long while, but finally nerved myself up to ask...is any one having or had burning lower bowel/diarrhea unconnected with hot foods or additives?  Think Chile Peppers, not that I indulge, but I've heard!!!!

Inflammation of the rectum and/or anus can cause a burning sensation... I can neither confirm or deny that I know this from personal experience. You might want to see a doctor if it continues to rule out Crohn's/colitis. The microscopic kind is apparently quite common in celiacs. Who knew.

Barring that, there is a certain kind of bacterial infection that can put out toxic products that burn. I read about a case in a book but can't recall the name of it.

One other possibility.  The gall bladder releases bile which neutralizes the acidic stuff (hydracloric acid) coming out of the stomach.  So it seems it could be possible that if the gall bladder is not releasing enough bile to neutralize the chyme it could cause a burning sensation.  In the case of spectacularly fast transit times  there may not be enough time for the bile to neutralize the chyme.  I suppose reduced bile production or poor release could be a culprit too.

Thank you all!  I love having a good laugh over anything.

It seems to burn pretty far up, rather than at an "exit" point...but before they told me I had IBS, they told me I had Colitus, so I am not really surprised...!

When I think back over the years and all the problems, and diagnoses I've gotten, I get so mad that someone didn't just think to check, but just as I have a low opinion of Lawyers, I have the same feeling towards the medical profession!  Not that they both cannot do good for people, but that they so often don't!