Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

AmyVC

gluten-free Beer Called Omission

Rate this topic

Has anyone tried the gluten-free beer Omission? It is made like regular beer and the gluten is removed using a brewing enzyme called Brewers Extract. I've read all about it on their website and done some research. It doesn't sound like ALL the gluten is removed. I'm just wondering if anyone has tried it and how they felt after.

You could google that on here. We have had many discussions. The main thing to remember is that there does not seem to be a reliable way to test for barley in alcohol.

http://celiacdisease.about.com/od/GlutenFreeAlcohol/a/Is-Gluten-Removed-Beer-Safe.htm

Thank you kareng for pointing out that article. I miss beer and do not really like any of the gluten-free beers that are currently available. I really wanted this process to work. I will look for other discussions to see if anyone has tried it and their reactions.

I would never drink it. 

There are many  gluten-free options now that do not involve the "removal" of gluten.

Bard's

NewPlanet--many styles

Glutenberg-many styles

Green's-many styles

Lake Front Brewery ( New Grist)

Ipswich Ale Brewery

Dogfish Head

Harvester-many styles

Epic Brewing

Sprecher 

Steadfast--many styles

Nickel Brook

Redbridge (which is probably the one that gave you the bad impression because it is awful ) ^_^

Has anyone tried the gluten-free beer Omission? It is made like regular beer and the gluten is removed using a brewing enzyme called Brewers Extract. I've read all about it on their website and done some research. It doesn't sound like ALL the gluten is removed. I'm just wondering if anyone has tried it and how they felt after.

It made me sick as a dog! Don't even risk it. It's not worth it. It wasn't that good even. There are lots of really great gluten free ciders you should try instead.

Of all the beers IrishHeart listed, only Redbridge is available where I live. We do not all have the same choices. Amy VC, I think it would depend on how sensitive you are. I am not a super sensitive. I have had Omission and no reaction. However, I did limit myself to two beers. Before diagnosis, I was a beer snob.... drank mostly imports and small batch boutique beer. Redbridge is swill, but when it is all you can have, it's not nearly as bad. Also, I think it depends on how long you have been gluten free. After seven years, I may not remember tastes as they actually are. I know what I used to drink was better, but Redbridge is approaching OK now. 

People, please do not recommend cider  as a replacement for beer. That is akin to recommending bread crumbs as a replacement for chocolate. They are not even close. 

People, please do not recommend cider  as a replacement for beer. That is akin to recommending bread crumbs as a replacement for chocolate. They are not even close. 

LOL   :lol: That is exactly how I felt about it too.  Cider is just not beer!

We have Green's up here, and it isn't bad, but it tastes like a home brew... there's only so much of that I can drink.