BlessedMommy

Lowering Food Costs

Rate this topic

I'm trying again to lower my food costs. I thought that it might be nice to have a thread where we can share money saving ideas and money saving recipes.

What are some of your favorite gluten free meals that take little or no specialty ingredients and are inexpensive?

I'm trying again to lower my food costs. I thought that it might be nice to have a thread where we can share money saving ideas and money saving recipes.

What are some of your favorite gluten free meals that take little or no specialty ingredients and are inexpensive?

I don't have good tips but could use some too. I'm a stay at home mom of 3. :-)

I have 3 kids too and it's crazy how much food 5 people can eat! 

I decided that I'm going to try to focus on lower cost dishes like making skillet lasagna instead of regular lasagna, making more Mexican and Asian food, etc. We made a trip to Sam's Club and found some good deals, like a 5 lb bag of organic carrots for around $3 and a 20 lb bag of white Indian basmati rice for around $21.

Any meal plan that uses very many premade bread products blows up my budget really quickly. 

A freezer is a good investment. Even the small tabletop ones will help. That way you can stock up on whichever meat is on sale and NEVER have to pay full price. I eat mostly chicken and when it goes on sale (once a month here) I buy enough to last until next month. And when I cook it I cook big batches so I don't use as much gas for cooking or heat the house up. Once it's cooked you can freeze it. For me, I make meal sized packages, but for a family you could package larger amounts. And it actually tastes better after it's been frozen - not as dry.

I have 3 kids too and it's crazy how much food 5 people can eat! 

I decided that I'm going to try to focus on lower cost dishes like making skillet lasagna instead of regular lasagna, making more Mexican and Asian food, etc. We made a trip to Sam's Club and found some good deals, like a 5 lb bag of organic carrots for around $3 and a 20 lb bag of white Indian basmati rice for around $21.

Any meal plan that uses very many premade bread products blows up my budget really quickly.

It's crazy how much food we go through. My oldest will be 14 this week and he can put away some food!

I've been doing a lot of my shopping at Costco and that does help for sure.

I'm curious. I know you're vegetarian...can you tell me where you get most of your protein from. The reason I ask is that I find I need protein with every meal or I just don't do well. I eat a lot of chicken. I was doing Greek yogurts too but have cut out dairy and soy to see if that helps with my ongoing issues. I'd love another source of protein. Thanks

Quinoa, beans, lentils, nuts, eggs, peanut butter, almond butter, etc.

Ok...thanks. Will have to try to add more of those. Have you ever done a quinoa "oatmeal"? I saw a recipe for one and it looked good. I miss oatmeal...but I just can't handle it.

The suggestion to get a freezer is a good one. I just last week put 1/2 bushel butter beans and 1/2 bushel field peas in my freezer for the winter. I buy them at peak season at the Farmer's Market, so the cost is reasonable... less than buying frozen ones. If I have time, I will freeze corn and tomatoes. Tomatoes are not good for salads and stuff after freezing, but are great for cooking.

I love to stock up on meats at the store when they are on sale.  I also have an awesome banana peanut butter muffin recipe for when I need a bread fix!

Please share the muffin recipe!!

One thing that I'm also finding helpful in chopping costs is to stop the Aldi's weekly produce picks. (Particularly for the "Clean 15" fruits, as I prefer organic for many items)

For example, this last time I went to Aldi's, their oranges were on sale for $1.99 per 3 pound bag so I got a total of 15 pounds and we are still eating those oranges! Then next time I go, I'll pick a different cheap fruit to stock up on. That way we get plenty of variety over time. 

Er, no kitchen here for the last couple months due to remodeling.  So I've been hitting the local Giant on Fridays for their 2 for $10 bucks roasted chickens weekly deal.  I can't even buy raw chickens and cook them myself for less than that.

Some of the ethnic stores have good deals on things at times.  It's worth taking a look anyway.   Pick your own farms are 'sposed to be somewhat cheaper. 

http://www.5dollardinners.com/gluten-free-slow-cooker-freezer-packs-costco-meal-plan/

Just saw this interesting thing & its gluten-free. It's supposedly 20 meals for 4 for $150 - food purchased at Costco. Less than $8 a meal if my math is correct? Not sure if they take tax into consideration. Looks like you parcel stuff out into crockpot meals and freeze the baggies. Might need $250 for an extra freezer! Lol

Edit- stupid iPad didn't copy the link.....grumble...grumble

Not sure how 150 decided by 20 equals 5?

Edited by kareng