Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nom

Any Safe Take-Out Places?

Hey Guys,

Been on gluten free for about a month now, and was feeling lazy, so I ordered from gluten-free Pizza from a place I've used before.  I didn't have a reaction last time, but this time... oh boy...  2 hours afterwards, and I'm already feeling drained, and been to the bathroom for two sessions in the last hour.  Worst mistake this year.  I don't have a formal diagnosis, but this feels a lot like the celiac reactions I've seen talked about in various places?

Anyway, the question is, are there any places that are generally safe where I can get a quick lunch if I don't feel like cooking, or should I just assume I can't order take-out.  Ever?

I'm living in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Thanks

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

It really depends on the local places around you.  There are the usual chain restaurants, but the most important thing is that you have to take the same steps ordering takeout as you would dining in, and preferably get a manager on the phone to make sure they know it is serious since you don't have that face to face interaction.  That conversation can take some practice.  ("Could I kindly talk to a manager, I have some questions about food allergies")  For this reason, I only do takeout if absolutely necessary.  One other thing to take into account is how busy a place is- if it is mad rush lunch/dinner time, mistakes can be made more easily, so I avoid peak times.

A good place to start looking for safe restaurants around you is findmeglutenfree.com or the find me gluten free app (can pull up your location- really handy).  Just being listed on there doesn't make the restaurant safe because of all the fad gluten-free eaters (especially in a place full of hipsters like SF), go into the comments and look for something saying it is Celiac safe, or vice versa.  A lot of us on here, myself included, will leave comments to help other Celiacs out.  Also if there is a local gluten intolerance group or gluten-free organization, they usually keep a list or talk about safe local places to eat. Usually you can see on their social media pages where they have meetings at, those are going to be a safer bet.

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)

I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

i'd be nervous as a cat ordering take-out.  even when i (don't) eat out (much) i'm 'on alert' lolz - i flag the waitress down a million times to ask questions, i usually talk to a manager, and if i can, i watch as much as the food preparation as possible....  

in a food savvy place like san fran, though, i bet your options are better than mine here in e. tennessee ("y'all want that fried, right?")  :D

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

A friend who also gluten free has told me that she has eaten safely at Asian Box in San Francisco.  I haven't been there personally.

Self diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten free since 12/09.

Diagnosed with fibromyalgia about 15 years ago. Fibro symptoms have improved but not gone away with gluten free living.

Osteoarthritis, mostly in hands and neck and lumbar spine. Not sure if going gluten-free has helped that problem, but it certainly can't hurt. (Am very grateful that so far no sign of the RA that is devastating my mother lately.)

Considering a dairy free trial. Considering.

Join eNewsletter

If by take-out you mean fast food, well, I wont touch it.  Too much cause for cross contamination.  I will eat at chain restaurants like Red Robin, Out Back etc or places that have a printed gluten free menu. 

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter

• Popular Now

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):
    Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):

Celiac.com Sponsors (A17-m):