This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How Do I Make My Family Realize The Severity Of Celiac?

CeliacMommaX2

CeliacMommaX2 Enthusiast

I'm having trouble explaining why our family is all going gluten free with 2 of our children testing positve for celiac.  We are asking anyone who comes to visit to eat gluten free at our house along with us.  My in laws visit for a week at a time and are struggling with "giving up" gluten for that long.  We just don't want to risk cross contamination especially before we have a clue how sensitive the kids are.  Are we being reasonable?  Any tips on how to communicate the risk of cross contamination with others?

Thank you!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Show them some info from doctors at a Celiac research medical  center?

Open Original Shared Link

"The gluten-free diet is a lifetime requirement. Eating any gluten, no matter how small an amount, can damage your intestine"

Ask the grandparents if they feel good enjoying foods, in front of the kids, that the kids can't eat.  Not sure about the age of the kids, but leaving the gluten food/crumbs sitting around, they might be eaten by the kids and make them sick.  They wouldn't leave pills or alcohol where a kid can get it, I hope.   If they don't mind tormenting the kids with foods they can no longer eat or would leave pills within reach of small children, you might want to limit the kids exposure to these people.  

If they absolutely cannot live for a week without their McDonalds or pizza or whatever, they can go out (without the kids) and eat it.

cyclinglady Grand Master

They are your kids. They are number one (spouse too). Nice to respect parents, but you have your own family to protect now.

I recall my mom wanting to give ice cream to my daughter at around the age of one. I told her that we were giving her healthy foods and she will get her chance to taste junk food when she went to school. I told my mom flat out that if she did not comply, she would never have access without my supervision ever again. My mom knew I mean every word!

Your kids are helpless and need support. If they love their grandkids, Grandma and Grandpa can do without gluten for a week. Geez, you would not let them smoke in front of your kids would you?

I do not allow any gluten in my house except for a few things that I have total control over. There was a bit of fuss when I made lettuce wrapped burgers one time and some family members wanted to go buy rolls, but I refused. People later commented that it was one of the best burgers they had ever eaten! They are fed well when they come to our house. Win them over with gluten-free goodies!

Now back to my salad and chili for dinner.....all gluten free, of course!

GF-Cheetah Cub Contributor

My whole family eats gluten-free since my younger daughter was diagnosed with celiac.   When we have guests staying with us, I provide them with their own toaster, and a container to keep their bread sealed tight.   I gave them their own butter etc (Marked with their names with a sharpe).  

When we host dinners or BBQ etc.   I just tell the guests that they don't need to bring anything, wine or beer if they must bring something.   All food I prepared are gluten-free, but I don't bother to make a point to inform them that they are eating gluten-free.   They are just eating good food (I hope).   Often times, the guests had no idea that they weren't getting any gluten out of my dinner.   They loved the gluten-free cupcakes I bought for dessert once, and were surprised to learn that they were all gluten-free.

Once, a relative brought homemade holiday cookies to my party, I just quietly tell my daughter to be careful, and let the rest of the people enjoy them.

So, I do make all my guest eat gluten-free in my house, but I try to be subtle about it.  

Jays911 Contributor

I guess I am blessed. I was diagnosed with celiac three months ago, and my wonderful wife just decided on her own to go gluten free along with me. I have repeatedly told her she doesn't have to, but she is totally supportive. Most folks I know are good as well, although I ate at a restaurant in downtown Lincoln, Nebraska today, and when I asked if the soup was gluten-free, was asked if that was my "lifestyle". No, folks, it ain't my lifestyle. Get a clue.

BlessedMommy Rising Star

Yep, I would definitely stick to keeping the home gluten free, for the sake of the kids. 

What you could do is serve lots of naturally gluten free items. Lots of "normal" foods are gluten free. There are also some really good substitute foods. If you made lasagna with rice noodles, I doubt if they could even tell the difference.

I really don't understand why people think that it's such a big deal to go gluten free for a week. 90% of non-processed foods are gluten free. It's not like anyone requires gluten to live.

Jays911 Contributor

BLesser Mommy, you are right. The only real problems I have are with fast food. There are plenty of options at sit down restaurants or at home.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

StephanieL Enthusiast

Your family. Your house. Your rules.

I it explain to people like this (we deal with life threatening allergies as well but it helps get the main point across).

"Mom and Dad (inlaws- let your spouse explain it), I love you and I know you love us/the kids.  I would not let you leave a gun sitting on our counter.  I will not tolerate the same thing but with food.  You will be here a week. You can eat out if you so choose but in this house, we eat this way and that will not chance for the health and safety of our entire family."

The end.  No need for more.  

flowerqueen Community Regular

I agree with the other comments, it's only a week! Do you not eat the same meals? If I prepare a meal when family stay, everyone eats the same thing (and if anyone staying has an allergy I always respect that and cater for their needs). I would feel terrible if I'd made someone else ill through not catering for their intolerances or other dietary problem.

w8in4dave Community Regular

Your house your rules, No food brought in! Unless it's from you! They can go eat out if they don't like it. They just don't understand the severity of the problem. your not asking them to Cater to your need , your asking them to be respectful of your children's health risks. I would really have paperwork or a site ready for them to read when they get there. 

cap6 Enthusiast

I couldn't agree with all of the above comments more!  Although there are no longer children in the home it doesn't matter.  Our home, our rules, our food, our way.  Period.  End of discussion. Our home is gluten free for the safety of those who live here.   We have friends/family that come and stay for several days at a time. We have no problem feeding them during their visit but it's our way.  There is one friend who (sadly) cannot live without her daily dose of bread/bagel/whatever sp she runs to the corner store and finishes eating Before coming back into the house.  If someone had a nut allergy would you bring and eat nuts in their home? 

Archived