Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

elena123

Diagnosed With Celiac But No Symptoms?

Hi everyone,
So when I was 11 I was diagnosed with celiac disease. I was tested for it due to my "stunted growth" (although I'm normal sized now) and that was the only obvious symptom I experienced. I was gluten free for a year (it was miserable) but then stopped because I had reached normal height and did not see any reason to continue being gluten free if nothing happened to me when I ate gluten. Now I'm nearly 19 and I recently heard about all these long term complications one can experience if they have celiac but are not gluten free; such as increased risks for infertility, miscarriages, arthritis, and various cancers. However I heard about these from online sources so I'm not sure if they're trustworthy or not. What I'm wondering is whether or not I should go gluten free/consult a doctor. I still have no obvious issues (except for mysterious hives that I haven't discovered the cause of yet) so I'm skeptical as to whether or not I really need to be gluten free. But I'm also terrified of these possible risks, especially of infertility and miscarriages (I need to have kids!!) Thank you for your help!

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I have had symptoms of celiac since birth, I was diagnosed a year ago at the age of 37.  I have 3 autoimmune disorders, have lost two pregnancies, had two premature babies, arthritis, migraines, my hair fell out, thyroid issues, and the list goes on and on.  My daughter was also diagnosed with celiac, it's genetic, so you have to think of that.

Quit eating gluten if you're a celiac.  You might not have symptoms, but that doesn't mean there isn't damage being done.  You obviously haven't had proper follow up care post diagnosis, you might want to do that.

Diagnosed April 7th 2014

Join eNewsletter

Yeah, if you were diagnosed you still have it. It doesn't go away. It is a lot easier being gluten-free now than it was back then. There are some great gluten-free substitutes out there now. Please, for your future health, go strictly gluten-free now.

gluten-free since June, 2011

It took 3 !/2 years but my intolerances to corn, soy, and everything else (except gluten) are gone!

Life is good!

Join eNewsletter

celiac disease  is an autoimmune  disease  that  never goes  away...the  only  control  over  it's  rath  is a strict  gluten-free  lifestyle...

If  you  are  in doubt  you have  the  disease  since   you  stated  you stopped  being gluten-free  around  age  12  & now  19  have  the  celiac panel  of  blood  work  done  now...Retest... I can tell you there  is  silent  celiac  with  no  outward  symptoms  which  I think is  the hardest  for  people...

If  you  once  again go gluten-free  without  proper  testing  you  will always question  if you  have  celiac...for  sure or  not...

Now  is the  time  to retest  when you have been  a gluten eaters for years.....a scope  might  be  in your  best interest as well...

You maybe  playing  Russian Roulette  with your body....

Join eNewsletter

I'm afraid that I agree with the others.  Celiac does not always have obvious symptoms and you may be doing permanent damage to your body like osteoporosis, arthritis, hair loss, pain, anemia, deficiencies, ataxia, other autoimmune diseases, and neuropathies.... which could all happen by age 30.  

I too was undiagnosed through my childhood, but by age 19 I developed a life threatening autoimmune, blood clotting disease, which caused me to cancel a trip to Europe and delay university for a while.  By age 22 I had arthritis showing up and (probably around this time) developed Hashimoto's thyroiditis so I was tired cold and my hair was falling out... It may not have caught up to you yet, but it probably will much sooner than you will want.  Go gluten-free and take care of yourself.  (hug)

This is a link to the 300 symptoms of celiac disease: http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/CDCFactSheets10_SymptomList.pdf Do any apply to you?

Nicole 

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993

Celiac - June, 2012

Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Join eNewsletter

Yep, silent celiac disease has no gut symptoms.  But that doesn't mean it isn't doing damage.

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."

Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.

Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, eggplant, celery, strawberries, pistachios, and hard work. Have a good day! 🙂 Paul

Join eNewsletter

Hi,

I was tested for celiac disease when I was 17.My bloods were positive but my biopsy was negative.It turned out to be non hodgkins lymphoma.

I am 22 now and just out of hospital after septicemia.While in hospital they re tested me for celiac my bloods and biopsy were positive this time.

If you tested positive for celiac disease at 11 then I'm pretty sure that means you still have it now.I know if I were you I'd still be gluten free even if I had no symptoms cause I'd be scared I'd get sick if I didn't.

Please don't put your health at risk.The last few years have been a nightmare for me.I hope that I can feel well again with the gluten-free diet.I think celiac disease has been the root of so many of my problems.Going gluten free isn't the end off the world you know and if you don't go gluten-free you might get very sick when you are older.

2010(Age 17)-Non hodgkins lymphoma(chemo,radiation)

2011(Age 18)-Bone marrow transplant.

2014(Age 21)-Diagnosed with Multiple sclerosis after mri and lumbar puncture

2015(Age 22)-Diagnosed with celiac disease after positive bloods and biopsy,secondary acute myeloid leukemia

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter