This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Chick-fil-A - new gluten-free buns

kareng

kareng Grand Master

Open Original Shared Link

"...The chicken chain on Monday rolled out a gluten-free bun nationwide. .."

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Victoria1234 Experienced

Do they have reliable gluten-free chicken to put onto the bun?

plumbago Experienced

Yes, exactly. So, a bun is gluten free. What can you put between them?

plumbago Experienced

...and oops there it is:

"sweetened with molasses and raisins."

Sugar. The bane of our existence.

kareng Grand Master

I didn't put this on for those of you who never eat out or have not gotten your health under control.  I put this on for the majority of everyday Celiacs, living their lives, and who eat at Chick Fil A and other places with a good gluten-free reputation.  I realize that most of them are not posting on here, but some do read the new topic headlines to see if any are of interest to them.

chick Fil A is known in the Celiac community as being a place you can get grilled chicken letttuce wrap or grilled nugggets, waffle fries, lemonade, shakes, etc.  

breads with yeast need a sugar source to feed the yeast.  It doesn't have to be a lot.  Some people might think that molasses and raisen are a more healthy source of that sugar than high fructose corn syrup.

plumbago Experienced

Ok, but I tend to think even “mainstream eaters” for lack of a better word are slowly but surely coming round to questioning the idea of sugar being in everything. HFCS, is just a teeny tiny bit “worse” than molasses or raisins, it’s almost not even worth pointing out. But at any rate, I did not know there were indeed gluten-free entrees one could order, and the linked article did not mention it, if I am not mistaken. ‘course, would not make sense to have a gluten-free bun without anything to go in it…

Plumbago

kareng Grand Master

I guess you will not be eating much yeast bread as a little sugar helps it rise.  If the amount of sugar in a bun you eat once in a while at a restaurant is a concern, I am sure you could ask how much it is?  Or just eat your grilled chicken as a lettuce wrap?  And I guess you won't be having the milkshake?  :lol:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Victoria1234 Experienced

Thanks! I've not eaten there in 9 years so I sincerely don't know about what they have that's reliable. Really missing being able to quote....

ravenwoodglass Mentor

"The bun costs an extra $1.15 and comes individually packaged. Customers will have to assemble their own sandwich because Chick-fil-A kitchens are not gluten-free and this is the only way that chain can prevent cross-contamination. "

The bold is mine. With this paragraph I don't think I will be trying anything there. Are we supposed to bring our own fillings? 

kareng Grand Master
11 minutes ago, ravenwoodglass said:

"The bun costs an extra $1.15 and comes individually packaged. Customers will have to assemble their own sandwich because Chick-fil-A kitchens are not gluten-free and this is the only way that chain can prevent cross-contamination. "

The bold is mine. With this paragraph I don't think I will be trying anything there. Are we supposed to bring our own fillings? 

I know many Celiacs that eat at Chick Fil A successfully.  They have grilled chicken and it  comes straight from the grill to the customer.  By giving you the wrapped bun, eliminates  the bun step and a lot of possible cc.

All restaurants that have any gluten in them - use  the possible cc statement.

I linked to this for those who would like to or do eat at Chick Fil A.  Instead of taking the wording of a journalist, that may have no clue what they are talking about.,  they can inquire , and should, at the individual store as to how their food is prepared.  

mateo2099 Rookie

I had the gluten free bun this weekend in North Houston and I was pleasantly surprised.  Its surely not the BEST gluten-free bun I've ever had but it emulated the original Chick-fil-A bun fairly well.  The bun is the biggest gluten-free I've ever had, however.  

I know they do prepare the meal separately and bring you the buns in a plastic bag and I had no reactions but I've been eating at Chick-fil-A for a while and always had good luck there (before it was just the grilled chicken nuggets).    

It was nice feeling me and my oldest son enjoying a relatively normal fast food meal together with the rest of the family.  

• 3 weeks later...
Jays911 Contributor

I also had it in a North Houston, in Humble. Not bad. Not great, but a lot better than the Udi's buns so many chains use. 

winninggluten Newbie

I buy the bun only to take home and add my own meat. I add pull pork, turkey burger, grilled hamburger, grilled or oven chicken breast. I do deli turkey ham and roast beef.  That way no concern about cross contamination. Its worth it not to be sick. 

kareng Grand Master
14 minutes ago, winninggluten said:

I buy the bun only to take home and add my own meat. I add pull pork, turkey burger, grilled hamburger, grilled or oven chicken breast. I do deli turkey ham and roast beef.  That way no concern about cross contamination. Its worth it not to be sick. 

You go all the way to chick fil a to buy a bun?   If you are worried there is cc with the meat, why aren't you worried that there is cc with the different buns?

mateo2099 Rookie

Probably because the bun is wrapped in plastic, KarenG.  

Archived