This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Migraines

jknnej

jknnej Collaborator

I have terrible migraines. Usually Relpax takes care of it. But I'm starting to get them more frequently, and longer ( last week it was 6 miserable days). My doctor gave me a prescription yesterday for blood pressure meds because he says they work to prevent migraines. He says I'm taking too much Relpax and I have to take this other medicine and try a different approach. Anyone else in a similar situation?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jnkmnky Collaborator

Do you consume any caffeine? Chocolate has it. Eliminate all caffeine and drink more water every day. See if that helps. I had some migraines and I'd do anything to never have another. Water and no caffeine seems to keep me migraine free. It's been nearly a year since I had one.

skbird Contributor

Most of my migraines cleared up after going gluten-free. However, I have had a few bouts of them coming back, and a lot, and it was only after discovering another food I should avoid that I end them. I currently have gone more than a month without - I think the last one happened from vicodin (ironic, huh?)

Are you taking calicium channel blockers? I've heard they work for migraines and heart conditions. I've taken those, but not for migraines, and it's been a while. The first one I tried gave me severe migraines, actually. Or maybe you have beta blockers? Never tried those. Things like Relpax are the only med to help me. I'm sorry you are having so many. Hopefully you'll find an answer.

Stephanie

celiac3270 Collaborator

I get them relatively often--maybe once every week or two? But I know my problem: I drink WAAAAY less water than I should. Difficult to imagine trying to drink 8-10 bottles of water every day....

frenchiemama Collaborator

I used to get them all the time. Going gluten-free helped quite a bit, and they decreased even more after cutting out corn. Now I get one a month (hormone related).

Things that I have heard as migraine triggers include red wine, aged cheese, nuts, caffiene, and chocolate. Have you considered keeping a food diary? It might be worth a try.

nettiebeads Apprentice

I've had migrains nearly all of my life. The first time I noticed them when I was in grade school and connected them to IGA hotdogs (I think it was number 4 red dye that was the culprit). Then they subsided some, came back when I was in my mid-20's. Don't remember if they were hormone related or not (too long ago :( ) Anyhow, I've isolated most of my triggers - some hair products, some perfumes, too much salt, too much chocolate (that one sucks!) and if I have too much caffeine or alcoholic drinks (my slight handovers invariable turn into migraines). I had a real bad episode that nearly sent me to the emergency room a few months back. Talked to my dr about it - I was on 1.25 mg of premerin (total hysterectomy) and my dr. said that migraines were a side effect of the meds. And he couldn't put me on meds for migraines since they are usually lower blood pressure and mine was around 115/64 at that time. So he cut my premerin in half. That helped tremendously - still have migraines, but they are not nearly as dibilitating as they were. Have you been able to tie your migraines to an envioronmental trigger or a food trigger?

I do feel for you - those things are horrible to endure. Oh, and celiac3270 - that 6-8 glasses of water is a medical myth. The liquid you get from milk, diet sodas and whatever else you drink or fruit that you eat contribute to your total hydration.

Annette

LJoyce Newbie

I get them before the monthly, so caused by hormones. Magnesium helps.

They say the western diet is generally lacking in magnesium. A friend who was getting headaches began taking magnesium and she said it helped a lot.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Rachel--24 Collaborator

I'm discovering that I get migraines if I eat cheese or chocolate. I havent had a migraine in a long time but this week I had one because I tried to add those back into my diet. Pre-gluten-free I was having migraines every day for about 6 months. It was miserable.

Ursa Major Collaborator

I used to have migraines for three weeks at a time (especially in the summer), until I found out I am intolerant to the nightshade family. The tomatoes triggered the migraines (and since I loved them, I'd feed the migraines all summer). Now I get migraines only when glutened, when getting overtired and when exposed to too much light/noise/flickering lights (and a few others). I try to avoid those triggers, and my migraines are down to one or two a month, and last only one to three days.

The only thing that helps is taking one tylenol with codeine and one extra strength tylenol as soon as I feel the migraine coming on. If I let it get really bad nothing will help any more, and I'll be in bed for a couple of days, being miserable.

tammy Community Regular

Mine were attributed to my hormones. Natural progesterone and a change in my thyroid medication STOPPED them!! :D:D:D:D:D:D

Rusla Enthusiast

Migraines, a way of life for me. 99% of mine are due to barometric pressure changes. I live in literally the worse place on earth for anyone with migraine headaches. If I am not at work or don't have to leave the house I take Novachlorapromazine, they kill the headache in an hour but then I spend the rest of the day practically a drooling idiot.

Canadian Karen Community Regular

I get them once in a while. Maybe once every month or two. I start off with neon flashes in the shape of a half moon on the side of my eye. Then I know it is coming..... I get really sensitive to light and sound (which can be really hard when you have 4 yr old twin boys running around playing Superman and yelling at the bad guys!!!)

The last one I had was brutal. It was the week before Christmas and it lasted 3 days....

Karen

CeliacMother Newbie

I've suffered from migraines for years. Last year, both my 14-year old son and I were diagnosed with Celiac disease. Since following a gluten free diet, my migraines have definitely decreased in frequency. I do want to mention that I've found the need to switch triptan medications every couple of years. My neurologist said that they can become ineffective over time as your body gets used to them. I started with Imitrex, than switched to Amerge, and now I'm on Frova which is working GREAT! Relpak didn't seem to have any effect on my migraines at all. Please talk to your doctor about switching. It really works!

Also, none of the preventative medicines were worth it. I tried anti-depressants (depressing side effects!), anti-seizure medication, and blood pressure medication. I would rather have the migraines and use triptans for relief than put up with all the terrible side effects of daily medication. I would love to someday find a neurologist who suffers from migraines ... someone who would really understand!

Good Luck! I hope you find a gluten-free diet as helpful as I did!

uclangel422 Apprentice

I usually get about 2-3 migraines a year. I had one last month that lasted almost two weeks because my entire neck stiffened up. My doctor prescribed me a headache buster that i take as needed which has a muscle relaxant, acetominophen and caffeine in it.

I also find that one of my major triggers is mushrooms. I stay away if i already feel headache-y.

Felidae Enthusiast

I had at least one migraine a month prior to going gluten-free. I think I have only had a few since last June.

CMCM Rising Star

I was plagued by migraines for a good 20+ years. I would panic if my Imitrex ran out. I eliminated my migraines by these things: drastic reduction in wheat and dairy (although I hadn't yet cut them out), and almost total elimination of sugar. PLUS...very regular exercise (cardio and weights) and drinking a lot of water. Almost no caffeine except for a cup of black tea in the morning. Zero sodas, by the way. POOF...migraines gone. I haven't had one in nearly 2 years, I think. What a blessing to be rid of them!

• 2 weeks later...
Silver-naki Rookie

Oooohhhh... Those dang MIGRAINE HEADACHES! :angry:

I've suffered tremendously with MIGRAINES all of my life, since I was (5) years old. Yep. Years ago, they had no known "cure" for these things, (& very little help or Medical treatment) & my system was too sensitive to even take Asprin or Codeine or anything else. I was pretty much out of luck, until I started going to my Neurologist, & they have the new type Migraine MEDS out nowadays. Relpax didn't work for me, but Zomig & Maxalt do. I have an emergency pack of MAXALT on me at all times.

I'm not sure if some of you folks on the Board here get bad enough to go to the Emergency Room or not with your Migraines, but I DO~

Last year, I had to go in to the Hospital ER (5) times. This year, I've only had to go twice. This was before I went "gluten-free." Mind you, I've only been on the gluten-free diet for not quite a month yet, but I have already found an improvement in my headaches. Of course, much of mine are attributed to my Hormone levels, the Bipolar II disorder I have (which is severe) and I find that I suffer with the headaches alot during the Summer time, when there is the barometric pressure changes going on outdoors.

There is also the problem of "dehydration" with me... for some reason, my system tends to get extremely "dehydrated," and this is characteristic of me. (some folks are like this) Thus, whenever I have to go into the ER Room for a migraine treatment, what they do is give me an entire Liter of "Saline Solution" to help "hydrate" me again. This is done for about an hour thru IV. They also give me Demerol, Toredol & Phenagran shots. This generally breaks the "cycle" of a really horrid Migraine for quite a length of time. It's also a very EXPENSIVE treatment as well...

Since I started on my gluten-free diet, I am hoping that many of my Migraines will subside, if not totally GO AWAY! :) I have noticed a great difference already, just with changing my diet. Of course, the Migraines are extremely "hereditary" within my immediate Family, and I'm not the only one that gets them, but sorry to say, I'm the one who gets them the worst------ bad enough to have to go to the Hospital for them.

My local Pharmacist suggested I get a "natural" type of "hydration" Liquid, in which I place (10) drops of this into my drinking water each day... He stated this helps the cells within my body to "absorb" the water, and this has really helped me as well. It was something new we were trying out, because some of my Test results came back showing how severealy "deyhdrated" I was. (in which I did not know was happening to me either!) The name of this Liquid "hydration" product I am currently using, that I can get in my area here at one of the local Pharmacy's is:

HYDRATE II: by Natural Creations {Homeopathic}

It is Manufactured For Natural Creations, Woodbine, IA.

This comes in a small brown bottle, with a dropper, & is quite "spendy," like $14.95 per bottle, but it goes a long ways, & lasts quite awhile. It is a 1 FL oz. (30ml) bottle.

Hope some of this helps you folks out there who suffer with the MIGRAINES.... Migraines are nothing short of "Hell-in-a-Bucket!" :angry: Let me know if I can perhaps help any of you out here, but I just had to Post to tell you a bit about my experience with Migraines. Cheers!

sdore Enthusiast

I get migranes on a monthly basis. I also get them if I am around a lot of smoke.

I take Imatrex (nasal spray) It seems to work very well if I use it at the very start. I also have Darvocet for pain.

When I was first getting them my Dr. gave me a list of food to stay away from that have some protein that starts with the letter T. ( I will have to find the paperwork)

This protein is mostly in caffine, chocolate, nuts (peanut butter) and processed meats.

I use to eat a PB and J for lunch before I was diagnosed ceiliac. When I cut out the peanut butter, my daily pain went away. I still get them monthly, but it is hormone related.

Sorry, I hope the new meds help. If not see about Imatrex. I really like it and if you call 1-800-imatrex thay will send you rebates for prescriptions.

Steph

Guest Rad

Have had migraines over 35 years. My migraines are genetic, with every generation but opposite sex (myself, my father, my grandmother and great-grandfather). Had a migrainal stroke in 1987. Be aware that if you have the visual aura; you have increased risks for stroke (More magazine, Nov. 2004). Belonged to a Support Group in Michigan and was asked to speak to the Michigan State Legislature re: migraines as a disability. Have been on Inderal, 60 mg. LA for 6 years now and it helps immensely with elimination of headaches. The BEST book I've read on migraines is: Migraines, The Complete Guide by S. Scott, ISBN #0440504589.

Dianna

Guest MyKidsMom
I have terrible migraines. Usually Relpax takes care of it. But I'm starting to get them more frequently, and longer ( last week it was 6 miserable days). My doctor gave me a prescription yesterday for blood pressure meds because he says they work to prevent migraines. He says I'm taking too much Relpax and I have to take this other medicine and try a different approach. Anyone else in a similar situation?

I know this sounds crazy, but I just use Excedrin Migraine. NOTE: I am not sure yet if this is gluten-free. I've taken just about all of the migraine medicines and found that this works better (used it in a pinch and had better, quicker results).

I used it before I went gluten-free and haven't had a migraine since then. But before I noticed that it relieved a lot of my problems I had along with the migraines, like my joint pains, etc. It has caffeine in it, but always helps me sleep, too.

Silver-naki Rookie
I know this sounds crazy, but I just use Excedrin Migraine. NOTE: I am not sure yet if this is gluten-free. I've taken just about all of the migraine medicines and found that this works better (used it in a pinch and had better, quicker results).

I used it before I went gluten-free and haven't had a migraine since then. But before I noticed that it relieved a lot of my problems I had along with the migraines, like my joint pains, etc. It has caffeine in it, but always helps me sleep, too.

MyKidsMom...

Gee, I wish I could use "over-the-Counter" stuff, such as Excedrin Migraine, and things like that, but I never could "do" any of those types of things, because they always made me quite sick. I do have DARVON on hand, all the time too. I get the headaches severe enough, that I have to take something stronger. {sniff} :(

You stated that it had caffeine in it, and that made me think about something an M.D. Doctor told me one time... he said: "When you feel a Migraine coming on, brew yourself the strongest cup of BLACK COFFEE you can tolerate & drink it right away." He told me the caffeine in the Coffee would constrict the blood vessels in the head~ Nice try there, ... but it didn't work! :lol:

I've also been told, through the years, to stay away from "cheeses," and Chinese food, and things like that. At the time, I thought this was "nutso," and that people were full of **chit**, but I am finding out, that some of the food allergies, just might be tied in with the headaches~

I am finding that alot of folks suffer with the Migraines, and gee, I think some of us could possibly write our own "Horror" Novel, or a script for a "scary Movie scene!" Laugh! :D Migraines are definitely "crippling," I can tell you that much. I'm glad you found a Product that works good for you!

I'm enjoying reading all the Posts on the Migraine subject here... it's quite informative, & very interesting... THANKS ALL!!! :rolleyes:

Archived