This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Alpha Gal - Celiac Connection?

GlutenEsNoBueno

GlutenEsNoBueno Newbie

Hello all. I am trying to find other people who have had Alpha Gal either cause the onset of Celiac Disease or a worsening of symptoms. Alpha Gal is Mammalian Meat Allergy caused by a Lone Star tick bite. I can find no doctor that can associate the 2 issues. I may have had minor gluten issues before, but have had major issues recently after getting Alpha Gal (yet again). Thank you.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master
Airport Playaobgyn Newbie

Thanks for the links cyclinglady...

• 6 months later...
Kmyers Newbie
On 8/15/2018 at 1:16 PM, GlutenEsNoBueno said:

Hello all. I am trying to find other people who have had Alpha Gal either cause the onset of Celiac Disease or a worsening of symptoms. Alpha Gal is Mammalian Meat Allergy caused by a Lone Star tick bite. I can find no doctor that can associate the 2 issues. I may have had minor gluten issues before, but have had major issues recently after getting Alpha Gal (yet again). Thank you.

My daughter is 15 years old and was recently diagnosed with alpha-gal.  She also tested positive for Celiac Disease but she does not have any of the symptoms.  We are going to a GI doctor next week to have a biopsy done to confirm GI damage.  I'm thinking this is related to the alpha-gal, which she started showing symptoms (rash/hives on arms and legs) starting July 2018.  It has taken this long (until yesterday) for the doctors to figure out what is causing the rash/hives.  I'm interested if you found anything linking alpha-gal to the onset of Celiac Disease.  I'm wondering if overtime, when the alpha-gal goes away, if my daughter may then no longer have an issue with gluten - especially since she is not having any symptoms of this condition.

• 4 months later...
Pete Walker Newbie

I have alpha gal lve not eating meat or dairy lm still having still having places breaking out not like it was when I was eating meat and dairy lve been eating items with gluten in bread I also have A S we thought it was the A S keeping me breaking out lm wounding if l could have celiac diseases now I started cutting out all gluten yesterday 

kareng Grand Master
3 hours ago, Pete Walker said:

I have alpha gal lve not eating meat or dairy lm still having still having places breaking out not like it was when I was eating meat and dairy lve been eating items with gluten in bread I also have A S we thought it was the A S keeping me breaking out lm wounding if l could have celiac diseases now I started cutting out all gluten yesterday 

Don’t stop eating gluten until you are tested for Celiac.  You can’t be tested for Celiac unless you are on a regular gluten diet.

• 5 months later...
Htaylor0952 Newbie

Hi! My name is Heather and I have had the alpha gal allergy for about 12 years and was diagnosed with Celiac 6 years ago. I have often wondered about this associate as well since they are both immune responses. 

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

NNowak Collaborator

There is a connection between Lyme Disease and Celiac. Research has shown the same two genes are prevalent in Lyme Disease and Celiac. I believe I first heard on a Podcast and then confirmed it through my own research. I’m not a doctor, or medical researcher, but it seems likely there’s a connection between Alpha Gal and Celiac due to the tick connection. However, we also know that physical stressors trigger Celiac. So the simple presence of a tick bite triggering physical stress can bring about the development of Celiac. 

• 7 months later...
Hayesonna Newbie

I went camping about 3 months ago and was attacked by 40 or so ticks- I broke out in a rash on my neck and torso (mainly breast and panty line). My body felt like it was misfiring, I had mouth sores, yeast infection, slight fever, everything ached and I felt like I was ready to jump out my skin. I went to the dr and she ran a bunch of blood work including celiac- she noticed I had lose over 50 lbs in a year. Test came back positive for celiac. She had a small intestines endoscopy scheduled to be sure and it was confirmed it was celiac, this procedure was 2 weeks ago. This past weekend I decided to go camping to see my favorite band for the last time and got bit by 4 ticks! At 5am sunday morning, I was headed to the emergency room covered in hives from head to toe. I had returned back to the ER 2 more times, with chest pressure, hives, trouble swallowing- now I've test positive for alpha-gal. I was wondering if one jump started the other... its definitely an eye opener! Even tho these results are life changing, it's good to know that we arent alone in this. Thank you for sharing your stories.Resized_20200908_173433.webp.9a432e506d0bf2ea100ef1384a55bf14.webp

• 7 months later...
katebuggie777 Newbie

I am confirmed celiac 19 Years ago  (def had it all my life), and Alpha Gal confirmed about 7- 8 years ago. What a mess of my life! 

Scott Adams Grand Master

Welcome to the forum!

Are you still having symptoms even though you are gluten-free?