This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

COFFEE, SAFE OR NOT?

pdm1981

pdm1981 Collaborator

So I hear a lot of back and forth on whether it's okay to drink coffee or not. There was even a back and forth from 2007 on this site. Now things are different than they were back then so I decided to put this out there. IS COFFEE SAFE FOR SOMEONE WITH celiac disease? 

I would love to have some coffee in the morning, maybe with some flavored cream. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Coffee is fine. I have 3 cups every morning. If you tolerate dairy I would suggest skipping those flavored creamers at first. They are full of stuff with which you might have issues. One nice way to flavor coffee I found was to get vanilla beans, crack them and place them in a jar of sugar. Shake once in a while and in a couple days you will have a nice flavored sugar that keeps forever.

Ennis-TX Grand Master

I use Christopher Bean Flavored coffees I have some discount codes if you want to try them.....no need for flavored creamers etc. I just sweeten to taste with stevia, or monk fruit sweeteners (I can not have sugar) and sometimes I add a hint of almond, cashew, or coconut milk. Open Original Shared Link

cyclinglady Grand Master

Plain old coffee is safe for celiacs.  I do not drink flavored coffees, so if that is your thing, go with the recommendation from Ennis.  I really like Ravenwoodglass’ suggestion too.  Keep things all natural (if possible) while healing.  It makes it easier to work around intolerances that might not be identified.

I drink my coffee with cream.  

How do I know for SURE that coffee is safe?  Because I have never stopped drinking it since my diagnosis five years ago.   Then I had a repeat endoscopy this year which revealed healthy villi.  I had completely healed from celiac disease.  So, that cross reactivity nonsense is....well nonsense.  

Jherm21 Community Regular

Cyclinglady which brand coffee do you use? 

cyclinglady Grand Master

Yuban.  The stuff my whole family uses.  I just bought a grinder and tried Costco’s Kirkland brand whole bean roasted by Starbucks.  I prefer Yuban still.  Searching for a better coffee, but have yet to find it.  

dfixit Rookie

Coffee is gluten-free unless it has flavoring added then it’s a crapshoot. I was a coffee snob, grind my own and once I went to cold brew there was no turning back. I say was, because I had to give up caffeine due to BP. My favorite was Eight O’clock Colombian Supremo. Best price was Walmart but Sam’s carries a bigger bag. Kept it in the freezer, ground and cold brewed in fridge 24 hrs. 1/4 cup concentrate to a coffee mug and adjust to strength desired. Half & half was my favorite but was once addicted to liquid Coffee Mate vanilla. My wife claims they put crack in it because she got addicted to it too. It’s gluten-free. BTW cold brew reduces acid by approximately 62%. Once you enjoy this method there’s no turning back. That is unless you are a smoker and like harsh acidic coffee. ?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Johna6100 Newbie

Every morning I drink either Duncan donuts regular, Folgers Columbian, or,  Trader Joe's Pinon with no ill effects..... enjoy.

Beverage Rising Star

Usually I drink green tea, but I drink coffee about once a week and have not had any issues.  I don't know if any coffee brands might contain gluten for flavoring, but if you are using a coffee maker previously used, make sure it has only been used for plain coffee or with coffee you can make sure was gluten free.  Also I have read that the glue on the lids in the single serve coffee pods are not safe (I don't know positively, but be aware), so if you are going to use one of those machines, make sure to thoroughly research the pods you are going to use are safe and that the machine has not been used previously with unknown pods.

Archived