• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

chrissy

Autoimmune Diseases In Families

Rate this topic

since celiac is related or connected to other autoimmune diseases, i was just wondering how many different ones you all have in your families? in my line, my grandfather had MS, my brother has type1 diabetes, my sister has PSC, and my niece has sjogren's syndrome. in my dh's line, his grandmother had rheumatoid arthritis and his aunt has diabetes. i think that i originally counted 8 related conditions in our families, but i can't remember them all.

christine

I was wondering also about autoimmune diseases because I honestly -- know nothing. :blink:

All I know is about 10-years ago my ex-hubby (not a doctor but we owned a chain of medical centers) he marched me around to all his doctor buddies they diagnosed me with all sorts of things, migraines, IBS, and etc. One was an autoimmune disease, A-type? I think I’ll go look it up in my medical files to be more accurate. I really don’t know what it means; or how it affects my other health issues.

Lately I have been doing a family tree and in reading my grandfathers death certificate I see he had an autoimmune diseases along with some of the diseases – chrissy – posted.

one thing to remember is that autoimmune diseases are so inter-related with symptoms that they can sometimes be almost impossible to diagnose. My rhuematologist once told me that sometimes it doesn't matter what you call it, they are almost all treated the same and what works for one person won't work for another, so we just had to experiment to see what worked for me.

You can be diagnosed with one thing and start to have symptoms of another and less symptoms of the problems you originally started with. I think the most important thing with auto-imune diseases is to take care of your body, eat healthy, exercise, get sleep and drink lots of water. I know for me that when I take care of myself in all those ways, I feel so much better, let one of them slide and I immediately notice a difference in my energy, etc.

My younger son has Celiac. My husband, older son and I don't have any autoimmune diseases (that we are aware of...we've all been tested for celiac).

Neither my Mom, Dad, brother or sister have any autoimmune diseases. My Mom's Mom and Grandfather had thyroid problems. Most of my maternal grandfather's brothers and sisters had diabetes (not sure what kind) and one died of stomach cancer.

I have very little medical info from my Dad's side of the family other than one of his brothers died of stomach ulcers (I don't really know what that means).

On my husband's side: his dad has MS and his mom has psoriasis (which I think is auto-immune).

My mom has MS.

My aunt (her sis) has MS.

My uncle (her bro) has eyeritis.

My grandma (her mom) has hypothyroidism and fibromyalgia.

My grandpa (her dad) has heart disease.

My sister has MS. My sister has IBS.

My dad's side, we are pretty sure that he has celiac disease and perhaps his twin bro.

I have fibromyalgia & Gluten sensitivity

My daughter: celiac disease

My Sister Dx Fibro & Gluten sens

My younger sister ? Same symptoms as me at her age.

My Mother rheumatoid arthritis

My Dad, Motor neuron - not sure about this being auto immune

Aunt (mum's sister) Rheumatoid A. died of ovarian cancer.

Uncle (mum's brother) died of leukemia (i think this is Auto Im)

My matermal grandfather died of 'ulcers'

Cousin on dads side: fibro

My mom hashimoto's, her mother had thyroid dis.

My dad, psoriasis

My brother, aplastic anemia

My mom and brother were also recently diagnosed with celiac.

My mom--Antiphospholipid Syndrome--an autoimmune clotting disorder (she has many symptoms of Celiac, including chronic anemia. Neg. blood test)

Cousin--MS

Mom's cousin--MS

My father has type II diabetes and thyroid issues (his was removed 5 years ago). His mother also had her thyroid blow up to the size of an orange but refused to see a dr. My cousin has Chron's (she's on the other side of my family).

These are just the Autoimmune that I know of:

Maternal Grandmother - Rhumatoid Arthritis, food intolerances (from discussing with family)

Maternal Aunt - Celiac disease, Lupus, Nurothopy, Rhumatoid Arthritis, sarcoidosis (sp)

Maternal Cousin - MS, Lupus

Mother - food intolerances, will not investigate, nuropothy, sarcoidosis (sp), allergies, Mortons neuroma

Patermal Grandmother - Lupus

Sister - food intolerances, just begining to investigate

Me - food intolerances, lichen schlorosis (docs keep thinking I may have lupus too)

My dad has psoriasis

Ready for this? this is all just my dad's side of the family.

Dad: Diabetes, connective tissue disorder, kidney disease, heart disease - MANY issues

grandfother: chronic ulcers

grandmother: thyroid issues (removed at around 35)

aunt: diabetes, severe allergies, thyroid issues, fibromyalgia

uncle: diabetes, severe allergies, milk sensitivities, fibromyalgiam, failure to thrive as infant

2 cousins: severe allergies, milk sensitivites, failure to thrive as infants.

aunt: rhuematoid arthritis

aunt: Thyroid issues

uncle: diabetes

great-grandmother: diabetes