This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Recipes

Carriefaith

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Shephard's Pie

4-5 potatoes

1 onion

4 cloves of garlic, minced

1 1/2 cups frozen peas

extra lean hamburger

1 can of stewed tomatoes (1 carton of Imagine tomatoe soup would be good in place of this)

1 Mc Cormick Beef brouillion

ketchup

dried hot pepper to taste

salt and pepper to taste

Boil potatoes and 2 cloves of garlic. Cook hamburger, onion, and the other two cloves of garlic until beef in browned and then add stewed tomatoes, hot pepper, and beef broillion and cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes. Place meat and tomatoe mixture on the bottom of a casserole dish, add peas on next layer, then put potatoes on top. Sprinkle pepper, salt, and a small amount of oil on top of the casserole. Cook at about 350 for 45 minutes. Serve with ketchup.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Carriefaith Enthusiast

I got this recipe from the VH website:

Chicken Wings with Thai Dipping Sauce

As many chicken wings as you want

1/4 - 1/3 VH soy sauce (or other gluten-free sauce)

garlic to taste

pepper to taste

Thai dipping sauce (I use VH)

Combine soy sauce, garlic and pepper in a bowl. Bake the chicken on tin foil in the oven for about 40 minutes at 350. Coat the chicken in the mixture and bake for another 5-10 minutes or until chicken is done. Serve with Thai dipping sauce.

Celery and carrot sticks with gluten-free Kraft Dressing taste really good with this.

Sweetfudge Community Regular
Spicy Parsnips

1 small bag of parsnips (about 7-8), cut into thin slices

2-3 tablespoons of Earth Balance soy butter

1 teaspoon cayeene pepper (add more or less according to your tatse)

salt and pepper to taste

Throw everything into a pot and cook over medium heat until the parsnips are no longer crunchy. Stir often to avoid burning.

Lol weird question...what do parsnips taste like (resemble)? I don't know if I've ever had them....but I like to try new things...sometimes :)

Also think I might make some of that stone soup today...I might just crock pot it though!

Carriefaith Enthusiast
Lol weird question...what do parsnips taste like (resemble)? I don't know if I've ever had them....but I like to try new things...sometimes

Also think I might make some of that stone soup today...I might just crock pot it though!

Parsnips sort of have their own unique flavour. Maybe a mix between a sweet potato and a carrot? I think smaller ones may taste better. I hope you like the soup recipe!

thanks! soup was great! made it, but forgot the rice in it. was still good! ate it w/ my gluten-free kinnick rolls. Second day, ate over rice! super yum!

Carriefaith Enthusiast

I'm glad you liked the soup :)

Lisa Mentor

Wouldn't it be nice is someone could compile all these recipes into one book.

Gluten Free.com Cook book. :D .....we could use our user names.

Do you think that we could get Scott on board for this?

We could sell it to pay for cost and donate some/all of the funds to support this forum.

What do you all think?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

Lisa,

Why don't you email Scott and ask him what he thinks? If this actually happens, I'd be happy to contribute :)

Lisa Mentor

Patti: I think I will do that :)

sounds like a really fun idea!

Carriefaith Enthusiast

I think that is a great idea!

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Eggs on Toast

1-2 tablespoons of your favorite oil

2 pieces of Kinnikinnick Sandwich bread (or your favorite bread)

2 eggs

salt and pepper to taste

Heat oil in a frying pan. Place bread on top of oil. Cook both sides for a few minutes. Break one egg on top of each slice and add salt and pepper. Cook for a few minutes, then flip and cook until done.

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Vegan Corn Chowder

4 celery sticks, diced

2 small onions, diced

2 garlic cloves, minced

5 green onions, diced

2 tablespoons of olive oil

salt and pepper, to taste

5-6 cups of regular So Good Soy Milk

2 large cans Green Giant Cream Corn

3-4 potatoes, cut into small bite size pieces

1 tablespoon parsley, diced

1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon crushed dried red chillis

1/8 teaspoon garlic powder

salt and pepper

Thickener: corn starch or heat ½ soy butter and ½ gluten-free flour in a small frying pan or sauce pan until thick.

Fry oil, onions, celery, garlic, salt and pepper until done. Cook soy milk, potatoes, corn, and spices until liquid boils, then quickly reduce heat to 2 or 3. Make sure everything cooks together for at least 20 minutes or until potatoes are done. Add thickener. Serve.

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Apple Crisp

4-5 bitter apples, peeled and cut into slices (Granny Smith maybe?)

1 cup Kinnikinnick All Purpose Flour Mix (or your personal favorite mixture)

1/2 cup of brown sugar (you may need more!)

1Tlb Cinnamin

3 Tbl Earth Balance soy butter (or oil)

Basically this is really simple. Use a medium sized pan for baking brownies. Coat the pan in some melted butter (or use oil if easier), place apple slices onthe pan in rows. Mix gluten-free flour, cinnamin and brown sugar together in a bowl. Sprinkle the whole dry mixture on top of apples. Pour melted butter or oil on top and bake for about 20-30 at 350 until done. Keep checking so that it doesn't burn.

• 4 weeks later...
Carriefaith Enthusiast

Pad Thai: New and Improved

1 bottle Thai Kitchen Original Pad Thai Sauce

2 Tablespoons olive oil

2-3 cups of bean sprouts

5 green onions, diced

3 cloves of garlic, minced

1 onion, diced

1 red pepper, diced

1 orange or yellow pepper, diced

1-2 Tablespoons, fresh lime juice

3 eggs

1.5 cups uncooked basmatti rice OR cooked rice noodles (pad thai style)

1.5-2 Tablespoons basil

1 teaspoon Cilantro

1/2 teaspoon crushed red chilis

salt and pepper to taste

Cook all vegetables, lime juice, and spices in oil for about 10-15 minutes over medium heat (a wok works nicely). Be careful not to burn the vegetables. After about 7-8 minutes push the vegetables to the side creating a ring of vegetables with a hole in the middle. Place the eggs in the hole and stir them. Once the eggs are stirred, mix them in with the vegetables. Cook rice or noodles seperatly. Once everything is done, mix it all together including the Pad Thai Sauce. Serve.

Fried Potatoes

5-7 potatoes, cut into very thin slices

1-2 onions, diced or rings

3-4 cloves of garlic

2-3 tablespoons oilve oil

salt and pepper to taste

Heniz ketchup

Cook all vegetables, spices, and oil together until potatoes are done. Serve with ketchup.

• 3 weeks later...
Carriefaith Enthusiast

This is amazing, I didn't even notice the pumpkin!

Pumpkin Chili

1 pound ground chicken or beef

1 red pepper, diced

1 orange pepper, diced

4 celery sticks, diced

1 onion, diced

3-4 cloves of garlic, minced

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 can of pure pumpkin

1 can of stewed tomatoes

1 can of romano beans

1 can of chickpeas or kidney beans

1-2 cups of tomato soup (Imagine)

3-5 tablespoons of chili powder

1/2 - 1 teaspoon cayeene pepper

1/2 - 1 teaspoon crushed red chilis

1/4 teaspoon crushed cloves

1 tablespoon brown sugar

pepper to taste

Cook meat, fresh vegetables, and oil until done. Meanwhile, place all other ingredients into a large pot and heat over low to medium heat. Place everything else into the pot once cooked and simmer over low heat until everything is warmed up.

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Pineapple Chicken (Modified from VH)

2-3 chicken breasts, cut into small pieces

Your choice of vegetables. Here are some ideas:

2-3 different coloured bell peppers, diced

5 green onions, diced

1 broccoli

2 celery sticks, diced

2-3 garlic cloves, minced

1 onion, diced

1 Tablespoon of VH lite soy sauce

1 bottle of VH pineapple sauce

pepper to taste

1-2 cups uncooked basmatti rice

Cook chicken and vegetables together until everything is done. Place soy sauce, pineapple sauce, and pepper with vegetables and chicken. Cook rice seperately. Serve once everything is done.

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Seasoned Pot Roast

1 small roast

1 onion, cut into rings

3-4 potatoes, cut lengthwise

3-4 carrots, cut into large pieces

3-4 celery sticks, cut into large pieces

1 Tablespoon of olive oil

2 teaspoons of thyme

2 teaspoons of basil

1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

pepper to taste

Place onion on the bottom of a large pot. Place the roast on top of the onions. Pour oil on top of the roast and sprinkle the seasonings on top. Place vegetables around the roast. Cook at about 400F until the roast is done. 2 hours maybe?

• 1 month later...
Carriefaith Enthusiast

Spinach and Broccoli Salad

1/2 a bag of spinach (probably 7-8 cups)

1-2 heads of broccoli, cut into bit size pieces

2 apples, diced

1 cucumber, sliced

optional (rasins, sunflower seeds, tomatoes)

Renee's peppercorn and ranch dressing or Kraft French Dressing

Wash all produce, mix together and serve with dressing.

jlr Apprentice

Carrie - the recipes look wonderful One question - what brand of tuna do you use?? Thanks, Janet

Carriefaith Enthusiast
Carrie - the recipes look wonderful One question - what brand of tuna do you use?? Thanks, Janet
Thanks! I use Clover Leaf Flaked White Tuna.
  • 2 months later...
confused Community Regular

I just wanted to say all of these recipes look so good, im not sure which one i want to try first tonight. i love they are all Gluten-free Casein-free, i thought i would bump this up for other new members.

paula

• 2 weeks later...
Carriefaith Enthusiast
I just wanted to say all of these recipes look so good, im not sure which one i want to try first tonight. i love they are all Gluten-free Casein-free, i thought i would bump this up for other new members.
Thanks, I know how frustrating the gluten-free and casein free diet can be so I decided to start making and collecting recipes. I'd like to make a recipe book someday.
Karen B. Explorer
Does anyone know how I can make roux for gumbo and etoufee, now that I'm giving up wheat flour? I am cajun and live in southeast texas (as close to Louisiana as you can get with not actually being there), so gumbo and etoufee are important to me. Will Bob's Mill all purpose gluten free blend work, or is something else a better bet? Will the gluten free flours brown like wheat flour?

I just saw this while paging through the terrific recipes and thought I'd chime in. My hubby makes great gumbo using Bob's Red Mill All Purpose gluten-free Baking Flour with the red label. It's only flours, no xantham gum. We joke about it being "diet" gumbo because he makes it gluten-free for me and he uses Benecol for the fat in the roux because he has high cholesterol. But it makes a really good roux for gumbo. We took a pot to my Celiac group's November meeting and took home an empty pot.

Ridgewalker Contributor

You rock for taking the time to post these recipes. I have a request. My mother misses her take-out Chinese fried rice really badly! I found some gluten-free soy sauce for her (Great Value, Wal-Mart's brand.) She doesn't like a lot of veggies, but the main thing is getting the seasoning right. She wants it to taste like take-out! lol. I don't blame her though, it was one of her favorite "guilty pleasures."

So.... do you have, or have you seen, a fried rice recipe similar to what you get at take-out restaurants? Thanks in advance.

Archived