• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

ebrbetty

Lactose Intolerant Question

Rate this topic

hi, for lunch today I had a turkey sadwich on gluten-free bread with rice cheese..about 20 minutes after I ate my stomach started to bloat, rummbling, gas, stomach pain and it feels like I'm going to have D but nothing comes out..I look like I gained 10 lbs in a few minutes, that was 3 hours ago, still going on. like being glutened :(

I checked My gluten free bread [whole foods brand] and it has dried skim milk..thats dairy..could lactose intolerance cause this many problems with my belly

thanks

Betty

ps getting allergy tests [skin prick] next week...if I make it through this pain LOL oh ya, I was told for the tests to come out right make sure I'm eating ALL the foods they test for??

Yes, dairy causes those exact types of problems for me. It could be a casein problem in addition to lactose. There is often casein in rice cheese as well (which I will never understand). I have a very severe dairy intolerance, but since its an intolerance and not an allergy I never tested positive when I got the skin prick test. Hope you feel better.

thanks carrie..I hope this ends soon!

thanks mango..could you suggest some dairy free/ casein free cheese and breads? also, do you know if I have to eat cheese/milk before the skin prick test?

I picked up tofutti sour cream, i think thats dairy and casein free

thanks again

It might be lactose intolerance, but those symptoms sound exactly like mine when I'm glutened. Have you verified that your turkey is gluten free? Many have crap added to them.

When dairy bothers me (I'm lactose intolerant, not casein intolerant, I believe) I don't get symptoms until the next day.

Hope you're feeling better soon!

I have never heard of rice cheese before - where did you find it and how was it? Are you watching to see if you're having a soy problem too?

I get gluten/casein free bread from Celiac Specialties or kniciknick (spelled wrong again!) - both are pretty good. Yes, you pay for shipping - but buy lots and freeze it. To me it's worth adding a small shipping charge to know that I'm eating good stuff, not some styrofoam bread that I find at the local health food store.

thanks carrie..I hope this ends soon!

thanks mango..could you suggest some dairy free/ casein free cheese and breads? also, do you know if I have to eat cheese/milk before the skin prick test?

I picked up tofutti sour cream, i think thats dairy and casein free

thanks again

I don't eat bread often, but when I do I stick to Kinnikinnik, Chebe (I just leave out the cheese), Food For Life (it's kind of edible toasted) and I really like some of the Cause Your Special mixes. I substitute 365 Organic Rice Milk for milk and Earth Balance for butter when I bake with those mixes (or when I bake or cook anything for that matter).

For cheese - Soymage Vegan is one of the more popular gluten-free/CF cheeses (but I try to avoid soy too). I've been eating raw goat cheese with no GI problems recently (although I'm hesitant to recommed it yet - still experimenting). I experimented with some rice cheese that had casein in it a couple months ago - definitely won't be doing that again. :)

Also, unrelated to bread and cheese, for the dairy free people, there is a really awesome dairy free ranch dressing recipe found here:

http://www.glutenfreeforum.com/index.php?s...=promised&st=45

I guess you would have to have dairy in your system to test positive for the allergy, but regardless, you could test negative for an allergy and still have an intolerance. It's my understanding that very few people actually test positive for a dairy allergy, although many are intolerant. I could be wrong about the testing - but if you notice symptoms every time you eat dairy, might as well eliminate it completely and see how you feel. I think sometimes, with dairy especially, self-diagnosis is almost more reliable.

thank you all, you've been a big help.

I guess I'll order some bread from kinnikinnick, I don't have a separete freezer..do they ship it frozen?

mango..can I get the Soymage Vegan at whole foods? thank you for the link to the dressing and I will look at whole foods for the cause your special mixes.

if anyone wants to suggest a good kinnikinnick bread, that would be great..I'm sick of waisting money!!

kinnikinnick bread does come frozen. my fav is the italian white tapioca. i think that is their most popular.

if anyone wants to suggest a good kinnikinnick bread, that would be great..I'm sick of waisting money!!

I like the regular white rice sandwich bread, the tapioca flour Italian sandwich bread is good too. You've got to order the KToo's oreo-style cookies - yummy!! I tried the chocolate covered donuts too and those were good. The items do not come frozen - but you should freeze the breads, esp. if you're ordering in bulk. If you're going to be doing this for a while you may want to to invest in a small freezer (I got mine at Sears for about $100).

I buy Rice Slices. The package says that it is gluten free, lactose free, and soy free. I get it at Shaws and at my local health food store.

I have been lactose intolerant for 28 years and here's what I've learned

1) some lunch meats have a derivitative of dairy (lactic) in them. I find that they bother me.

2) sometimes the lactose pills don't work on solid foods (work better in liquid dairy like when having ice cream or milk shake) they work "pot-shot."

3) I get less lactose reaction from real butter than margarine.

just some thoughts on this subject

thanks everyone, the cgeese I've been buying is rice slices, I also bought the mozerrella, not bad..the brand is galaxy.

I'm also finding the lactose pills only work 50/50

the last week has been awful..this morning [while having wicked stomach pain] I told hubby "thats it I'm ordering my favorite sub, and eating gluten again" I just think I shouldn't be having stomach pains anymore, its been like 5 weeks og gluten-free..anyway, I didn't order a sub, My blood test did come back borderline celiac and I was 90% gluten free at the time of the test, my dr said it probably would have been even higher [100%] positive if I had been eating reg. amounts of gluten..so thats the only thing keeping me on this diet..something else has to be causing this pain, I just can't figure it out, hopefully wen I go to the allergest for the skin prick tests I'll get some answers

thanks again

Betty

Hi Betty -

Perhaps you are expecting too much too soon. It took years for your body to get so messed up. It will take time to heal. Symptoms will not disappear right away.

Food intolerance - especially dairy - may be at fault. Most celiacs have some - even many - food intolerances. These can make you every bit as miserable as the gluten reactions. When you were reacting to gluten you would not have known when it was gluten and when it was something else. With gluten gone the other buggers become more obvious.

Don't be surprised if the skin prick tests fail to turn up anything. Allergy tests for environmental reactives work pretty well - not at all well on foods. The blood tests are more definitive in spite of some false positives.

Another thing to considered is covered in the article on this site:

HIGH PREVALENCE OF SMALL INTESTINAL BACTERIAL OVERGROWTH IN CELIAC PATIENTS WITH PERSISTENCE OF GASTROINTESTINAL SYMPTOMS AFTER GLUTEN WITHDRAWAL.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...5&dopt=Citation

Good luck, Claire

Good Morning Claire, thank you very much for taking the time to post, I needed the pep talk and the support, my hubby's been great, but hearing from someone who's in the same boat helps alot.

you may be right, I could be expecting too much too soon, I guess I just keep reading about how great everyones feeling and think "what the hecks wrong with me"

I haven't spent hours on the floor curled up in a ball since I started the diet, so even though I'm still having pain, thats at least a good sign.

I'm keeping track of the foods that seem to bother me the most, the weird thing is, is that its things like gluten-free Bagels and Breads...weird, but I'm guessing its the high dairy in them.

anyway, thank you again...for the tip on the skin prick tests and your support!!

Hugs, Betty

p.s. I was told I need to be eating the foods I'm getting tested for...does that seem right? [its a lot of different food]

p.s. I was told I need to be eating the foods I'm getting tested for...does that seem right? [its a lot of different food]

If foods are regularly in your diet there is no need to eat them prior to the test. Antibodies hang around for a long time. Claire

Flieschman's makes some lactose free margarine that is also casein free. Comes in stick form. It's been my flavor life saver since I went dairy free. I was on the specific carb diet, which is supposed to be low lactose or lactose free. It allows sharp cheddar (I wasn't eating the yogurt). I was reacting strongly to the cheddar. Got markedly better when I cut out all dairy and switched to soy milk.

thanks for the tips guys

patti, I had no idea they made chewables..I'll try them!! they're gluten free right?!

erbetty--the regular caplets are, I should not have posted about the chewables until I actually checked. I am going to edit them out of my post until I verify. Thanks for asking the question--I apologize for the lapse in thinking.

Betty--

So you are having a skin prick test for allergies? That type of test is not the best way to ck for food allergies, and it will not give you a read on food intolerances, like if you have one to casein (dairy). Go here to see the difference between an intolerance and a classic food allergy: http://www.glutenfreeforum.com/index.php?showtopic=13825&hl= (You can scroll down to my long post).

Hi Betty -

listen to Jen - she is absolutely right. Skin pricks and patches won't help you at all. That's a rabbit trail.

Claire

The skni prick tests came back negitive [i thought so] though out of the 60 there were about 10 that did raise up, though they said not enough..I then went for a RAST blood test. he did say he believes me to be very intolerant to dairy as well as many other things and the only way to deal with that is to just try and avoid the foods that bother me.

the night before my hubby was rubbing my back while we watched tv, he had a little hang nail and I felt it scrape just a bit, a couple hours later my back [where he rubbed] turned bright red, burning pain, and the slight little scrapes from his nail raised into hugh welts, it looked like I was severly beat with a strap :huh: felt that way too!! hubby had eaten some angel food cake a but before he rubbed my back..the allergist thinks he had trace amounts of gluten on his hands/nails and thats what caused the terrible reaction...weird, but he may be right.

my results will be in next week...I hope its "just" intolerances" to many foods..he seems to think I can grow out of them as my stomach heals

thanks for the help

Betty