This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anyone Doing Scd?

Rachel--24

CMCM Rising Star
Dani - Hum, this is only a guess, but perhaps whether or not we have D, our intestines just need to start the real healing process before it can handle the raw stuff. I don't know though. I have two oranges on my counter that I'm crazy to eat, but I have been worried about eating them, lol. I guess I'll just have to squeeze the juice out before they go bad.

So, I had my soup last night as a snack and this morning for breakfast...YUM. I am so happy to have something different, lol. I even have a little left for a snack this evening. This weekend I'll buy some chicken parts with skin on just so I can make more soup and this time I'll make a bigger batch and freeze some.

I'm also going to buy pears...I'm not sure how one cooks a pear...do you put liquid in of some kind? I want to make a pear compote type of thing with the cooked pears then drizzle a bit of honey over them and maybe a couple of raisins...it'd be great with nuts on top, but I don't think I should add that yet, lol.

One of my favorite things used to be poached pears with a Creme Anglaise sauce. Very easy....You'd just poach the pears in some water with sugar (can't have that now :angry: ) a stick of cinnamon, and a couple of cloves. Cook till tender, and let them sit in the water for awhile to absorb the flavor. The Creme Anglaise was a think pour-over sauce kind of like a thin vanilla pudding....served warm over the drained pears. This was SOOOOOO good.....I wonder if I can figure out how to do it without sugar or dairy? :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
dlp252 Apprentice
One of my favorite things used to be poached pears with a Creme Anglaise sauce. Very easy....You'd just poach the pears in some water with sugar (can't have that now :angry: ) a stick of cinnamon, and a couple of cloves. Cook till tender, and let them sit in the water for awhile to absorb the flavor. The Creme Anglaise was a think pour-over sauce kind of like a thin vanilla pudding....served warm over the drained pears. This was SOOOOOO good.....I wonder if I can figure out how to do it without sugar or dairy? :(

Umm, that sounds good...maybe something with the coconut milk and gelatin with some honey for sweetness...may even be good with sweetened coconut milk yogurt.

Nancym Enthusiast

I poached pears the other night. I wasn't sure what to poach them in so I used some 100% cranberry juice and some sweetener.

Your recipe sounds great! I am going to try it. You could use honey though in place of sugar.

I make an egg based custards all the time. I would think dilluting it with some coconut milk and using vanilla instead of lemon would work. I'd probably use 1 cup or so of "milk".

My basic recipe is here: Open Original Shared Link You'd probably want to use honey instead of artificial sweetener though.

I'm trying to think of what one could use in place of coconut milk... I suppose almond milk. I would want the flavor to be rather bland so it doesn't overshadow the vanilla.

corinne Apprentice

A bit frustrated today. I tried well cooked spinach Tues. evening and had a strong reaction to it so I'm feeling crappy again today. Two steps ahead, one back. It's hard to be patient.

aikiducky Apprentice

I sometimes just cook a pear in the microwave, cut up in pieces it takes about two-three minutes in my old and very inefficient microwave to cook. I find it sweet enough by itself nowadays, i'm not that used to very sweet things anymore. :)

Pauliina

dlp252 Apprentice
A bit frustrated today. I tried well cooked spinach Tues. evening and had a strong reaction to it so I'm feeling crappy again today. Two steps ahead, one back. It's hard to be patient.

WOW!!!! I just tried well cooked chopped spinach last night and same thing...I didn't really have a reaction, but I knew if I continued eating it I would be sick, so I stopped. Later in the evening I had slightly upset stomach and a little cramping.

sometimes just cook a pear in the microwave, cut up in pieces it takes about two-three minutes in my old and very inefficient microwave to cook. I find it sweet enough by itself nowadays, i'm not that used to very sweet things anymore.

That sounds easy enough for me, lol. I'll try it tomorrow (after I buy some pears, lol).

danikali Enthusiast

I had a bad reaction to cooked carrots that were 'moldy?' Well, I don't know if they were moldy. They looked okay, but they were kinda slimy and smelled like someone's stinky feet! :blink: YUCK! LOL Well, I ate tons of them because I was starving of course, coming home from work and I didn't realize how bad this would be for me until I was like halfway done! Sometime, I just don't think. Anyway, of course all of my symptoms came back. Yesterday, I was back to the intro. diet, and today I've added the cooked apples in again. I seem to be doing better, but not as much as I was before I ate those bad carrots. But DEF. A LOT BETTER. Am I supposed to wait until I'm am feeling extremely good again before I put these apples back in my diet? I don't feel like they are doing anything bad because they are really well cooked. But maybe? What would you guys do?

For example, you guys had spinich and it bothered you. Are you going back to the intro. diet and starting all over? Or are you just taking the spinich out and waiting to add new foods after a few days. I don't think I read what you are supposed to do for this, or maybe it doesn't say? What about the experienced SCDers out there. What did/do you do?

And also, I started taking my calcium/mag. pill again today because it says, no wheat, corn, gluten, yeast, nuts, milk (or by products), soy, and can be used by diabetics. If it says this, doesn't that mean that there is no sugar in it?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dlp252 Apprentice

I'm just taking the spinach out for now...really that's all that was new anyway, so I guess I'm back to the intro by default, lol. I've been eating ground beef, applesauce, really ripe bananas, cooked carrots, apple cider (not a lot), unsweetened grape juice and added chicken about 3 days ago. So, the spinach was the newest. I'm now going to wait a couple of days before trying to introduce anything new. I'm sort of following the pecanbread.com order of introducing things, but am introducing each thing in each stage one at a time...once I've added all the stuff in that "stage" I'll move on the next...no reason why I'm doing it this way, it's just that I figure it will be a good way to see what I react to and it will give me some order to this insanity. :D

The pecanbread order of things is here:

Open Original Shared Link

danikali Enthusiast

Hey check this out. I was just searching around and this is what I came up with:

Pretty interesting because it is Elaine herself answering questions that we have.

dlp252 Apprentice

Phew, that was a great link. I've read almost all the original link but printed it so I can reread. I've also printed info off a link within that one on vitamins, herbs, etc.

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Well because I'm sensitive to salicylates I got a bad reaction from the carrots. They arent extremely high in salicylates but not low either. I thought I was doing ok cuz I didnt react the first few days but it caught up to me. I was even starting to think maybe I'm not really intolerant of salicylates. Well...the accumulative affect of about 12 lbs of carrots hit me pretty hard on Tuesday. The reactions sometimes last more than a week and during that time pretty much everything bothers me.

Oh well...at least I know for sure that salicylates are probably my biggest problem. My doctors constantly telling me I have to figure out the "stresors" and remove them or I'll never get better...I think this is my biggest "stressor". My system has been in a constant "reactive" state for 3 years now because of this. It doesnt make the diet any easier...thats for sure. I'll have to see what happens with my symptoms with no salicylates. Maybe they'll go away for the first time in 3 years...that would be cool!

Nancym Enthusiast

I think one thing you gotta be aware of is consuming too much fiber early on isn't such a great thing. Also consuming huge quantities of anything isn't good either. If I get the bulk of my calories from protein and fat with very modest amounts of fruit and veggies I do a lot better. But if I start eating large quanitities of anything I get in trouble. I think part of the reason is that the when you send a large quantity of anything down the chute it hurries everything up and so your stomach doesn't get a lot of quality time digesting stuff.

I can get away with a little of certain foods, like nuts and nut butters, but boy-oh-boy, if I eat too much, I'm in trouble again.

dlp252 Apprentice

Rachel, I hope that's the answer! I would be very cool if that helped!!!

corinne Apprentice

I'm just taking the spinach out. I've had a couple of weeks with other foods (carrots, beets, zucchini, diluted grape juice, meat) and no problems so it's definitely the spinach. I'm feeling a lot better this morning and might try applesauce this weekend.

Rachel--24 Collaborator
I think one thing you gotta be aware of is consuming too much fiber early on isn't such a great thing. Also consuming huge quantities of anything isn't good either. If I get the bulk of my calories from protein and fat with very modest amounts of fruit and veggies I do a lot better. But if I start eating large quanitities of anything I get in trouble. I think part of the reason is that the when you send a large quantity of anything down the chute it hurries everything up and so your stomach doesn't get a lot of quality time digesting stuff.

I can get away with a little of certain foods, like nuts and nut butters, but boy-oh-boy, if I eat too much, I'm in trouble again.

Nancy,

My reactions arent bowel related...although I do get those kind occassionally. They are more of an allergic type reaction. I get it from perfumes and pretty much all chemicals...including the natural ones in foods (salicylates). I get swelling in my face, intense pressure in my head, ears popping, blurry eyes, joint pains, burning on my skin. My head becomes very tender and achey. Same thing happens if I use skin products that contain salicylates. These symptoms have never gone away completely in 3 years...but sometimes I barely notice them. I didnt learn about salicylates until 2 months ago. I just knew that lots of skin products bothered me so I tried different things till I found out what worked. I never found a common link until I read about salicylates and started looking at the labels of the stuff I reacted to back then. They all had salicylates in some form and the "safe" stuff that I use now does not contain any salicylates. Same with the foods that give me these reactions...they're all high in salicylate.

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Oh yeah...I also get eye muscle problems when I get a reaction...like my eyes get stiff and dry. I used to think this was because of Graves and they did an MRI and catscan but didnt find what they normally find with Graves thyroid eye disease. They ended up telling me I just have dry eyes even though it was so painful I couldnt even drive or go to the movies. I was perscribed eye drops and they made my eyes even MORE dry and stiff! I wanted to die...I never thought it was food related...I was 100% convinced it was cuz of the RAI for Graves cuz thats what made sense to me at the time. Now I'm thinking the eye drops most likely had salicylates in them and thats why I was freakin' dying while I was using them.

Cblandry Newbie
I just finished antiobiotics for c-diff bacteria overgrowth and I also have candida overgrowth and dysbiosis. My doctor has me taking different probiotics trying to restore normal flora. I'm thinking if there was ever a good time to start this diet its now. I bought the book today and the diet is not as strict as the candida diet I was on last year. I get to eat cheese. :)

Anyways I have some questions for those of you who've done this already.

1. How soon did you notice improvement?

2. I dont have Diarreah. Does this mean I still have to do an intro to the diet?

3. I bought the dry curd cottage cheese she talks about in the book. How do I know for sure its the right stuff. I got it at Whole Foods and its in a little tub (farmers cheese). It lists pastureized skim milk, cream & salt on the lid. I dont want to be eating the wrong stuff and not benefiting from the diet.

4. Is it really ok to eat honey? Why is it ok? Wont it feed yeast and bacteria? I ate some and then I felt dizzy. Right now I'm a little brain-fogged from it. :huh: I havent been eating anything sweet recently other than pears and apples so maybe its a shock to my system? :unsure:

5. Do you also check into your meds? I take thyroid meds and I'm sure its got some kind of starch in it but I have to take it. Does this negate the whole diet?

6. I used to make my own yogurt and I have a yogurt maker already. I used to make my yogurt with goats milk....in the book she says cows milk is ok. Which milk is the best to use for the yogurt?

8. Did the diet work for you? Any tips?

Rachel what book do you speak of? I am Connie 58 I have diah. and I though I was gluten free and the diah continues. I'd like to know about this book with the diet in it. Thank you

teankerbell Apprentice

I just ordered the book (geez local book stores - the big ones don't have it). Anyway, I am not as bad as a lot of you with celiac disease. Actually, I had hardly any symptoms at all. Then I got the Entrolab test done because I was diagnosed with an auto-immune disorder (RA possibly) and my darling step-daughter (DS-D) gave me the book Dangerous Grains.

To make a long story short, you can see the results of Entrolab below and I have been gluten-free for about 6 weeks only. So I understand I am still healing, making mistakes and learning. I have been in this cycle of feeling horrible, then a day where I feel pretty good, then back to stomach issues for several days. I guess this is pretty common?

Anyway DS-D mentioned she is doing SCD and she has celiac disease so bad that if she looks at a bread crumb she gets sick (alright I am exhaggerating a bit) and so far things are improving for her.

Anywho, since I don't have the book yet, I did go on one of the SCD websites to find legal foods and started making some stuff from the recipes I found there. I am not so sick that I can't go to work, but having stomach issues (not C or D, but stomach pains, body aches, change in stool) and decreased appetite. Do you think it would be to my benefit to follow the diet plan strictly according to the book, or would it be helpful to use it as a guide to apply some of it to my already gluten-free diet? What is your feeling on this?

Thank you for your opinions and help on this!

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Rachel what book do you speak of? I am Connie 58 I have diah. and I though I was gluten free and the diah continues. I'd like to know about this book with the diet in it. Thank you

Hi Connie,

The book is called Breaking The Vicious Cycle by Elaine Gottschall. Here is a link that gives some idea as to what the diet is about.

CMCM Rising Star
I just ordered the book (geez local book stores - the big ones don't have it). Anyway, I am not as bad as a lot of you with celiac disease. Actually, I had hardly any symptoms at all. Then I got the Entrolab test done because I was diagnosed with an auto-immune disorder (RA possibly) and my darling step-daughter (DS-D) gave me the book Dangerous Grains.

To make a long story short, you can see the results of Entrolab below and I have been gluten-free for about 6 weeks only. So I understand I am still healing, making mistakes and learning. I have been in this cycle of feeling horrible, then a day where I feel pretty good, then back to stomach issues for several days. I guess this is pretty common?

Anyway DS-D mentioned she is doing SCD and she has celiac disease so bad that if she looks at a bread crumb she gets sick (alright I am exhaggerating a bit) and so far things are improving for her.

Anywho, since I don't have the book yet, I did go on one of the SCD websites to find legal foods and started making some stuff from the recipes I found there. I am not so sick that I can't go to work, but having stomach issues (not C or D, but stomach pains, body aches, change in stool) and decreased appetite. Do you think it would be to my benefit to follow the diet plan strictly according to the book, or would it be helpful to use it as a guide to apply some of it to my already gluten-free diet? What is your feeling on this?

Thank you for your opinions and help on this!

My Enterolab results were very much like yours, and I got mine back just a couple of weeks before you did, so I haven't been at this long either! I'm finding the elimination of casein really hard. But one thing I have realized in the short time I've been gluten/casein free: My system is a wreck, and I do much much much better with a very simple diet, much like what is in the SCD book. I started off trying out all these gluten free things...cookies, donuts, breads, pasta....and while it was interesting, I realized my symptoms weren't necessarily going away....and looking at the ingredent lists of these things, I think my system can't (at least at this point in time) well handle sugars or starches or other grains such as rice, rice flour, etc. I sure hope that later it won't be a problem, but now it is. So my suggestion is to keep your diet very simple and stick to unprocessed vegetables, fruit, lean meats, eggs, and stay away from the other things for awhile.

dlp252 Apprentice
My Enterolab results were very much like yours, and I got mine back just a couple of weeks before you did, so I haven't been at this long either! I'm finding the elimination of casein really hard. But one thing I have realized in the short time I've been gluten/casein free: My system is a wreck, and I do much much much better with a very simple diet, much like what is in the SCD book. I started off trying out all these gluten free things...cookies, donuts, breads, pasta....and while it was interesting, I realized my symptoms weren't necessarily going away....and looking at the ingredent lists of these things, I think my system can't (at least at this point in time) well handle sugars or starches or other grains such as rice, rice flour, etc. I sure hope that later it won't be a problem, but now it is. So my suggestion is to keep your diet very simple and stick to unprocessed vegetables, fruit, lean meats, eggs, and stay away from the other things for awhile.

Ditto. The diet was originally designed for people with all sorts of digestive problems, not just celiac, so it might very well help.

Okay everyone, I made a recipe from the book today. Remember, I am no cook, lol. I made the banana pancakes...there are two recipes in the book, I made the one with just mashed banana and egg. It wasn't pretty. :D It actually tasted pretty good though. I didn't have a non-stick pan, so I couldn't get the darned thing turned (mistake #2, one huge pancake instead of smaller more easily turnable ones, lol) without tearing it all to shreads. I then thought I could scramble it (well, it had eggs in it didn't it, lol). Finally I sort of flattened out the now quite unrecognizable pancake pieces goop. I really did taste okay (I added just a pinch of salt to it too). I bought new pans today. :D :D :D

danikali Enthusiast
Ditto. The diet was originally designed for people with all sorts of digestive problems, not just celiac, so it might very well help.

Okay everyone, I made a recipe from the book today. Remember, I am no cook, lol. I made the banana pancakes...there are two recipes in the book, I made the one with just mashed banana and egg. It wasn't pretty. :D It actually tasted pretty good though. I didn't have a non-stick pan, so I couldn't get the darned thing turned (mistake #2, one huge pancake instead of smaller more easily turnable ones, lol) without tearing it all to shreads. I then thought I could scramble it (well, it had eggs in it didn't it, lol). Finally I sort of flattened out the now quite unrecognizable pancake pieces goop. I really did taste okay (I added just a pinch of salt to it too). I bought new pans today. :D :D :D

Good idea with the pancakes!!! I haven't looked at the recipes too much because I feel better right now adding things in one at a time. But if all you used was eggs and bananas......well, I might be able to do something like that. (no eggs though)......and I'm no chef either, but if they taste good, I don't care how pretty they turn out!

And Laura, def. try the diet out for like two weeks. Just see what happens. It's really not that hard, especially if you feel better doing it. And that's funny about the bread crumb thing.......it's practically true!!!

teankerbell Apprentice
Good idea with the pancakes!!! I haven't looked at the recipes too much because I feel better right now adding things in one at a time. But if all you used was eggs and bananas......well, I might be able to do something like that. (no eggs though)......and I'm no chef either, but if they taste good, I don't care how pretty they turn out!

And Laura, def. try the diet out for like two weeks. Just see what happens. It's really not that hard, especially if you feel better doing it. And that's funny about the bread crumb thing.......it's practically true!!!

Thanks Danielle...

So far I am doing o.k. Actually a lot better than a few days ago! The only starch I have is a few tortilla chips with the tuna - what else can I do? I am only eating boiled egg, bacon, home made applesauce (bought that mini food processor - much easier!), tuna with the SCD mayo, almonds and raisins, cooked carrots, chicken soup and deluted Welch's grape juice. Same stuff every day.

danikali Enthusiast
Thanks Danielle...

So far I am doing o.k. Actually a lot better than a few days ago! The only starch I have is a few tortilla chips with the tuna - what else can I do? I am only eating boiled egg, bacon, home made applesauce (bought that mini food processor - much easier!), tuna with the SCD mayo, almonds and raisins, cooked carrots, chicken soup and deluted Welch's grape juice. Same stuff every day.

Good! Then you're on the diet pretty much! I'm sure it will help.

CMCM Rising Star
Well because I'm sensitive to salicylates I got a bad reaction from the carrots. They arent extremely high in salicylates but not low either. I thought I was doing ok cuz I didnt react the first few days but it caught up to me. I was even starting to think maybe I'm not really intolerant of salicylates. Well...the accumulative affect of about 12 lbs of carrots hit me pretty hard on Tuesday. The reactions sometimes last more than a week and during that time pretty much everything bothers me.

Oh well...at least I know for sure that salicylates are probably my biggest problem. My doctors constantly telling me I have to figure out the "stresors" and remove them or I'll never get better...I think this is my biggest "stressor". My system has been in a constant "reactive" state for 3 years now because of this. It doesnt make the diet any easier...thats for sure. I'll have to see what happens with my symptoms with no salicylates. Maybe they'll go away for the first time in 3 years...that would be cool!

I always thought carrots were fairly high in sugar for a veggie...which is why a lot of weight loss diets say don't eat them. OK. if that's true why is the SCD stressing them so much if we are to be careful with sugar???? It seems like we'd be better off eating some other vegetable... And Rachel...exactly how many carrots are you eating each day???

Archived