Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):


Join eNewsletter


Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):



Join eNewsletter
5 5
paisleydaisy

There's hope for you yet!

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi! 
Just a positive note from someone 4 years into the gluten-free diet who had questions about worsening food intolerances, no change in lifelong insomnia and ongoing panic attacks (which came out of the blue a few years prior and lead to full blown agoraphobia quite suddenly 'for no reason'). It ALL went away. It took a while but all went away and feels like a different life now. 
I think I'm just posting to say...people told me that some things would take time. And they did. Even if you're feeling better, you might be going to feel even better still in the future :)
I'm STILL feeling better each year. You've got this :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):


Congratulations!  And it is sooooo true!  


Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test (DGP IgA only) and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Repeat endoscopy/Biopsies: Healed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, paisleydaisy said:

Hi! 
Just a positive note from someone 4 years into the gluten-free diet who had questions about worsening food intolerances, no change in lifelong insomnia and ongoing panic attacks (which came out of the blue a few years prior and lead to full blown agoraphobia quite suddenly 'for no reason'). It ALL went away. It took a while but all went away and feels like a different life now. 
I think I'm just posting to say...people told me that some things would take time. And they did. Even if you're feeling better, you might be going to feel even better still in the future :)
I'm STILL feeling better each year. You've got this :)

How Long did it take you to start feeling better? I know everyo es different and healing times are different but Im newly diagnosed, Back in july, and I need serious help!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I felt worse for a few weeks, in a way I can't quite describe. Most people I know didn't feel that way but I know it's not uncommon. And things that were better felt weird so uncomfortable (ie. stomach all light and airy rather than constantly full). I was starving and sweating and shaking, too, after not having much appetite for years. 
But I felt better after about a month. Nausea took a few months I think? Much longer than I'd expected. Random panic attacks and dizzy spells took about a year to see any change. To the point where I figured they were unrelated and strangely better for no reason but when glutened I get them, now. It's bizarre. I couldn't make one happen if I tried to, I no longer mind public speaking, my whole personality shifted. I'm still neurotic (ha. Always) but not 'anxious'. Years later and my brain feels totally different and maybe it's unrelated but I don't think so and that is better and more noticeable than the abdominal stuff. I don't have bouts of crying or anger that I was having daily, I laugh at stuff, no panic attacks. 
But it took a long long time. If it's even related. Migraines stopped 2 years in after having them multiple times a week for decades. Again, maybe unrelated. Seems like a really long time. 
And I still get sad! Around the social consequences of this, in particular. And overwhelmed. And stressed. To a normal and situational degree though. 
I hope you feel better soon! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yes, this is allllll true - it took some adjusting, lolz, but i am 10 years on the gluten-free diet and i am feeling fabulous.  i do feel much younger because all those problems i attributed to 'old age, i guess' - nope, not old age, just 25 years of misdiagnosed celiac.  i get a check up once a year - one with my gyno, one with my gastro, and twice per year i get my blood tested.  everything is good, i just had it done and i am not deficient of any vitamins or nutrients.  i used to have to supplement with vit d2 and b12, not anymore.  and my anxiety issues are lessening, although i understand they are the last to leave.  i almost flew without my xanax (but i chickened out lolz) - i agree, paisleydaisy, my social anxiety is better, although i don't know if i could do public speaking.  i was, however, an angel in an easter pageant - i wrote my speaking part on my hands and promptly sweated it off 😅  t'was ok, though, i remembered them.  

i LOVE this post - y'all just hang in there, it's gonna be great!!  :D 


arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

 

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

 

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, notme! said:

yes, this is allllll true - it took some adjusting, lolz, but i am 10 years on the gluten-free diet and i am feeling fabulous.  i do feel much younger because all those problems i attributed to 'old age, i guess' - nope, not old age, just 25 years of misdiagnosed celiac.  i get a check up once a year - one with my gyno, one with my gastro, and twice per year i get my blood tested.  everything is good, i just had it done and i am not deficient of any vitamins or nutrients.  i used to have to supplement with vit d2 and b12, not anymore.  and my anxiety issues are lessening, although i understand they are the last to leave.  i almost flew without my xanax (but i chickened out lolz) - i agree, paisleydaisy, my social anxiety is better, although i don't know if i could do public speaking.  i was, however, an angel in an easter pageant - i wrote my speaking part on my hands and promptly sweated it off 😅  t'was ok, though, i remembered them.  

i LOVE this post - y'all just hang in there, it's gonna be great!!  :D 
 

WHAT A REPLY. Ha. This made me smile so much for multiple reasons. 
Timepoor as I'm reading it so won't write as much as I want to but will say I carried Xanax with me for 2 whole years. But never used it again after the last panic attack. 

What a long time you too were undiagnosed! It's tempting to be frustrated that so much of life was like that. But there's lots of time left to live better! 
Congrats Angel! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/17/2020 at 8:32 PM, Chris the Celiac said:

How Long did it take you to start feeling better? I know everyo es different and healing times are different but Im newly diagnosed, Back in july, and I need serious help!

my new GI Doctor told me yesterday...   up to a year..... 

 

but it depends on the individual too...

first thing he said when he walked in was  "I see you're newly diagnosed"........   

 I was diagnosed in June

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
5 5