This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

are you going to take the vaccine

DJFL77I

Beverage Rising Star

Thanks for the info.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scott Adams

• RMJ

• Misslee

• icelandgirl

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scott Adams

Scott Adams 20 posts

• RMJ

RMJ 18 posts

• Misslee

Misslee 8 posts

• icelandgirl

icelandgirl 6 posts

Posted Images

Redhed Rookie

I've already received both doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine. I don't know about the YouTube doctors or what the studies have said about people with celiac or other autoimmune/allergic diseases, but I can report my own anecdotal experience.

I received the first dose on January 16, 2021, second dose on February 13, 2021. I have documented severe pulmonary disfunction, so I guess that's why I was contacted to get the vaccine. Anyway, in addition to the pulmonary issues I have a history of allergic reactions to peanuts, tree nuts, sulfa (anaphylaxis) and moderate reactions to a slew of other things. Also have GERD, idiopathic intracranial hypertension, and PCOS. 

After the first dose, I experienced pretty much no side effects. I was tired and my arm was sore for about 24 hours, but not bad. I've had flu shots that caused worse arm pain.

The side effects from the second dose were worse, though still not as bad as some I've heard about. I was extremely fatigued the whole day after receiving the shot at 10.30 AM. That evening, I had a low grade fever (100.2) and some muscle aches. I took a couple Tylenol and went to bed early and the next day I was good as new.

I still don't go out and still double-mask when I do, but I don't have that underlying fear that I used to have. 

Regarding the risk of still getting the virus and spreading it -- I don't know why that is new. Every vaccine is that way. The point of the vaccine is to minimize the sickness caused by the infection. It doesn't mean you won't get infected or that you can't spread it. You WILL get the infection and you WILL shed virus. If you're vaccinated, though, the sickness will be mild and you will shed substantially less virus, therefore the risk of spreading it is substantially lower. Eventually, when enough people are vaccinated and their risks of contraction are lower and the risk of spread is lower is when we can all feel safe. Until then, get the shot when it's your turn and help us reach that point!

RMJ Mentor
38 minutes ago, Redhed said:

Regarding the risk of still getting the virus and spreading it -- I don't know why that is new. Every vaccine is that way. The point of the vaccine is to minimize the sickness caused by the infection. It doesn't mean you won't get infected or that you can't spread it. You WILL get the infection and you WILL shed virus. If you're vaccinated, though, the sickness will be mild and you will shed substantially less virus, therefore the risk of spreading it is substantially lower. Eventually, when enough people are vaccinated and their risks of contraction are lower and the risk of spread is lower is when we can all feel safe. Until then, get the shot when it's your turn and help us reach that point!

Some, but not all, vaccines do in fact prevent infection - they produce sterilizing immunity.

Scott Adams Grand Master

Thanks for sharing this, it's important for everyone to get vaccinated. The known risks of getting Covid-19 are great, the known risks of having issues from either vaccine are extremely small.

• 1 month later...
BuddhaBar Collaborator

First dose today and I got an anxiety attack??? I'm not afraid of needles. I've been taking the flu shot every year since the swine flu (2009), countless blood tests, was a blod donor a few years ago before I moved and I've got a bunch of tattoos. I did not get the anxiety attack from the needle. It happened 5 minutes later when I was sitting down waiting to leave and completely out of the blue. I was on my phone watching a youtube-video about a cockatoo and suddenly I got severe anxiety. Thankfully I know how to stop it, but has anyone else experienced this after taking this vaccine?

Scott Adams Grand Master

Any possibility all of the anti-vax hype surrounding this particular vaccine could have had something to do with this?

BuddhaBar Collaborator
9 hours ago, Scott Adams said:

Any possibility all of the anti-vax hype surrounding this particular vaccine could have had something to do with this?

Doubt it. Never been an anti-vaxxer, not scared of the vaccine. This wasn't even Astra Zeneca's blood clot-serum. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Scott Adams Grand Master

Ok, just curious, because most of the people I've known to get vaccinated, who tend to be in the higher risk groups due to age, diabetes, etc., seem to have a profound sense of relief once they get theirs.

BuddhaBar Collaborator

Been thinking about this and it seems like the anxiety was secondary to heart palpitations and shortness of breath. I didn't get anxiety and then palpitations and breathing problems, I got anxiety because I got palpitations and breathing problems. Normally, the anxiety feeling comes first and then all the physical symptoms, but this time it was the other way around. It only lasted for a minute or so and it doesn't stop me from taking my second shot. I've had even worse reactions from the dental anesthesia with adrenaline in it. No other side effects either. Feeling fine except from some arm pain. 

Scott Adams Grand Master

It sounds like a mild allergic reaction, I'm not sure what else it could be...so soon after the shot it probably could not be anything related to the autoimmune reaction from the vaccine, which normally would take a day or so to begin.

BuddhaBar Collaborator

Think I found the cause. Tromethamine is one of the ingredients in Moderna covid-19 vaccine.
https://www.everydayhealth.com/drugs/tromethamine

I will tell the nurses next time I experienced some of those side effects for a minute or so. 

Melissa93 Contributor
6 hours ago, BuddhaBar said:

Think I found the cause. Tromethamine is one of the ingredients in Moderna covid-19 vaccine.
https://www.everydayhealth.com/drugs/tromethamine

I will tell the nurses next time I experienced some of those side effects for a minute or so. 

Are you allergic to this? I would definitely tell the nurse for sure!

Scott Adams Grand Master

I got my first Moderna vaccine today. So far I only have noticed a very mild sore area in my shoulder at the injection area.

icelandgirl Proficient

That's good to hear, Scott!  I know several people who've gotten either Pfizer or Moderna.  Most have experienced only a sore arm, a couple also were tired and had body aches.  My husband gets his today and I'm planning for next week.  We decided to spread ours out in case of any issue so someone can take care of the kiddos!

Beverage Rising Star

We've had some friends with no reaction to the Phizer, one felt like she was hit by a truck after the 2nd shot.  But definately more reactions with the Moderna. The worst was one guy in 50's who had a sore arm in the Moderna on the first shot, and ended up in the hospital with high fever and very ill after the 2nd.  It's been a month and he is finally back to work (working remotely). Watch your symptoms closely and do not delay if anything changes, it seems to go downhill quickly.

JD-New to Celiac Explorer

Has anyone been vaccinated with the J&J? I received my shot yesterday and I am finding the usual symptoms of pain all down the side of my body that had the injection, headache, nausea, fatigue and my joints are flaring up. The one that is a bit more concerning is shortness of breath or labored breathing especially when I am lying down. It's not bad but seems out of place.

I will add that once injected there was a great deal of immediate pain to the arm and shoulder on the side of the injection but I was told that was normal. No swelling or redness though.

Posterboy Mentor
15 hours ago, Scott Adams said:

I got my first Moderna vaccine today. So far I only have noticed a very mild sore area in my shoulder at the injection area.

Scott,

Here is a nice overview of what side effects and when to expect with both the Moderna and Pfizer Vaccine.

I think it is five slides that compare and contrast what symptom's are most common with each mRNA type vaccine IE Moderna and Pfizer's.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/moderna-caused-this-reaction-in-82-percent-of-people-new-study-says/ss-BB1fruLN?ocid=msedgntp#image=1

I had a friend who felt worse after his 2nd shot (he had Moderna)….but it seems both Pfizer and Moderna side effects kick in mostly after the 2nd shot.

Look for some Chills after your 2nd shot.  I don't think they (side effects) lasted more than a day or two but he did miss a couple days work due to the 2nd shot reactions.

I hope this is helpful but it is not medical advice.

Posterboy,

Melissa93 Contributor
On 4/8/2021 at 4:59 PM, JD-New to Celiac said:

Has anyone been vaccinated with the J&J? I received my shot yesterday and I am finding the usual symptoms of pain all down the side of my body that had the injection, headache, nausea, fatigue and my joints are flaring up. The one that is a bit more concerning is shortness of breath or labored breathing especially when I am lying down. It's not bad but seems out of place.

I will add that once injected there was a great deal of immediate pain to the arm and shoulder on the side of the injection but I was told that was normal. No swelling or redness though.

How are you doing now? Seems a bit odd to just have those pains at one side of the body in combination with shortness of breath. But side effects are very different per person.

I'm fully vaccinated with Pfizer and 2nd shot was definitely something lol. I also had covid and am in my 20s, so they assumed I was going to have more response. I had a fever and body soreness for one day. My husband also had covid, in his late 20s had Moderna this weekend and he was out with fever for 2 days. 

8 minutes ago, Melissa93 said:

How are you doing now? Seems a bit odd to just have those pains at one side of the body in combination with shortness of breath. But side effects are very different per person.

I'm fully vaccinated with Pfizer and 2nd shot was definitely something lol. I also had covid and am in my 20s, so they assumed I was going to have more response. I had a fever and body soreness for one day. My husband also had covid, in his late 20s had Moderna this weekend and he was out with fever for 2 days. 

Hi Melissa93 - As you might know they temporarily pulled the J&J so of course that is concerning. The pain on my left side and arm are gone but I continue to have this shortness of breath, the headaches and now sharp jabbing pains in my leg joints. To be honest all of these are very minor and take turns flaring up. I will wake up with no breathing issues and as I go through the day I find myself getting winded and need to stop and take a deep breath. Or, I could be sitting down and all of the sudden I get a sharp jab in my knee. The breathing issue is the one that is more prevalent, and note that I had no issues with my breathing prior to the shot, so this must be vaccine related. Unlike you, I had no fever at all with the J&J. I keep hearing the second dose is worse than the first for Pfizer and Moderna. Hang in there! I am glad I am one and done. Thanks so much for your concern.

Melissa93 Contributor
1 minute ago, JD-New to Celiac said:

Hi Melissa93 - As you might know they temporarily pulled the J&J so of course that is concerning. The pain on my left side and arm are gone but I continue to have this shortness of breath, the headaches and now sharp jabbing pains in my leg joints. To be honest all of these are very minor and take turns flaring up. I will wake up with no breathing issues and as I go through the day I find myself getting winded and need to stop and take a deep breath. Or, I could be sitting down and all of the sudden I get a sharp jab in my knee. The breathing issue is the one that is more prevalent, and note that I had no issues with my breathing prior to the shot, so this must be vaccine related. Unlike you, I had no fever at all with the J&J. I keep hearing the second dose is worse than the first for Pfizer and Moderna. Hang in there! I am glad I am one and done. Thanks so much for your concern.

Yes weird. You could always check with a primairy care doctor if you have one. Happy that most of the pain on your injection side has subsided, so at least that's not really concerning. I had some trouble with shortness of breath as well after my vaccination, but I had a very bad case of covid in March 2020 and it left me with a lot of lingering symptoms. So it wasn't too unusual for me to get short of breath again, it's been almost 4 weeks after my 2nd dose now and it's definitely gotten a lot less, almost gone. Which is great! It just triggered my system again.

Did you get a covid-test just to be sure? One of my friends actually had his shot on Saturday (few weeks ago) and started getting sick on Sunday, which he thought were side effects until he started getting short of breath and he actually tested positive for covid after 3-4 days of feeling sick. He had gotten infected just a few days before that on a job. I don't think you're symptoms seem covid-like but just wondering.

So sorry to hear that you both went though COVID and its lingering symptoms. I have not been tested for COVID as I never really had any symptoms but it is interesting to hear of your friend. I thought the vaccine had actually triggered some older medical issues as I had asthma ten years ago but it went away. I will see a PCP if it continues but like you I think it is just a side effect that will go away. At the moment I am not concerned. I hope you feel better.

Scott Adams Grand Master
22 hours ago, JD-New to Celiac said:

If you got the vaccine in the last week or so consider taking some aspirin every day for a couple of weeks to prevent blood clotting. Headaches can be a symptom of the negative side-effects being reported. If you do this be sure to take it with food.

icelandgirl Proficient

I got my first dose of Pfizer yesterday!  I felt literally nothing until a few hours later when my arm became a bit sore.  This morning I woke up and it's fairly sore(similar to the flu shot) and I have a bit of a headache.  I'm just thankful for the opportunity to get it and the hope of moving forward!

RMJ Mentor
16 hours ago, JD-New to Celiac said:

So sorry to hear that you both went though COVID and its lingering symptoms. I have not been tested for COVID as I never really had any symptoms but it is interesting to hear of your friend. I thought the vaccine had actually triggered some older medical issues as I had asthma ten years ago but it went away. I will see a PCP if it continues but like you I think it is just a side effect that will go away. At the moment I am not concerned. I hope you feel better.

I am currently listening to the CDC meeting discussing the thrombotic (clotting) side effects seen with the J&J vaccine.  Headache (severe), leg pain and shortness of breath are three of the symptoms of the new problem.  Please call/see your PCP, especially if you are a female between 18 and 48. The new side effect includes both clots and low platelet counts, the low platelet counts making this an unusual clotting disorder.  A simple blood test for platelet count could be very reassuring if it was normal.

knitty kitty Grand Master

"Be well: A potential role for vitamin B in COVID-19"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7428453/

Oy! TAKE YOUR VITAMINS!